• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever regret not spending time with someone?

Years
    I had a dream last night, and in that dream I met up with one of my old friends from high school who I miss so much when I think about it. We broke contact and I feel it's largely my fault for not engaging as much as I should have, and now I have no means of contacting them anymore.

Do you ever regret not spending time with a particular someone that you could have spent more time with, whether it be a friend or relative, etc?

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
    I regret not spending a lot of time with my grandfather, now that he is no longer among us I greatly miss him.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
    I regret not spending time with my brother, who I have not seen in several years. We live in different provinces so we didn't get to see each other much anyway, but a few years ago we broke contact altogether. It was entirely my fault though, as I was going through a rough time in my life and I drifted away from literally everyone I knew. I just don't know how to get the ball rolling again. =/

Years
    I regret not spending time with my brother, who I have not seen in several years. We live in different provinces so we didn't get to see each other much anyway, but a few years ago we broke contact altogether. It was entirely my fault though, as I was going through a rough time in my life and I drifted away from literally everyone I knew. I just don't know how to get the ball rolling again. =/

I suggest you break your shyness and give him a call, telling him your honest feelings. That's what works for me, and has saved my life a couple of times. :) One of my strongest relationships is long distance with a friend of mine who currently lives in Miami. We broke off for years and I was afraid to contact her because I didn't know how she'd respond, but honestly it was so so worth it and we've been friends again ever since! :D

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
    I suggest you break your shyness and give him a call, telling him your honest feelings. That's what works for me, and has saved my life a couple of times. :) One of my strongest relationships is long distance with a friend of mine who currently lives in Miami. We broke off for years and I was afraid to contact her because I didn't know how she'd respond, but honestly it was so so worth it and we've been friends again ever since! :D
    That is good advice, thank you. I really should contact him soon. I've also done the same as you with a friend of mine in Germany who I've known for years. ^_^

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    My sister. I don't think we've gotten to know each other quite as well as we'd like. We don't really have extended conversations or anything like that, and we haven't in years. We're both kinda heading in different directions in life, and I wish I'd taken the time to have a long talk with her about things, yknow?

Eh...

Give her a phone call sometime. You'd be surprised - she could be feeing the same thing for all ya know. Doesn't hurt to reach out.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
    Well I do, but I hope people regret not spending time with me too lol

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
    Years
    i regret not spending time with one of my high school classmate and friend. he killed himself im 2015 and i never really got over it. i guess i feel guilty. i could have at least asked if he was okay a couple times. maybe it would have helped if i was there for him. we weren't very close and that's the frustrating part. it shouldn't affect me that much but it does. it changed me forever and i haven't been the same since that day.

SirDolan

Relicanth ❤
    Years
    I regret drifting away from a good friend of mine from high school. She transferred in during my third year, and we shared a couple of classes. I'm not really a sociable person irl, so I never really reached out to new people or actively made friends unless we were in the same social circles. But I did with her, possibly because of how similar we looked and acted. We honestly looked like sisters, and grew close enough during school to call ourselves as such.

But then high school ended and I kind of just drifted away from a lot of my friends due to the fact that we only really talked and hung out because we saw each other five days a week. Once that stopped, messages and meet ups kind of dwindled, including with the girl I grew close to. At first I thought that's just how life is, and it didn't really bother me too much as I was pretty busy with college at the time. Then I saw her one day in a local shop, and was pretty excited to see her, but when we started talking I noticed how the atmosphere around us was so...awkward. It was entirely my fault for not reaching out more.

I still have her contact information, but sending her a message now feels like it's too late. Hopefully one day I can apologise for being a jerk and thank her for brightening my school life.

pkmin3033

I guess I regret not spending more time with a lot of people, given that everyone I've ever been even acquainted with has abandoned me. Maybe if I spent more time with them they wouldn't have...or maybe seeing too much of me was the problem. Hm.

I wish I'd spent more time with my aunt when I was younger too, although I've only ever seen her once a year at most. She's the fun one of the family.

Last edited:

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
    i must say, if there's something i've gathered from this thread it's that i should talk more with the people around me
    would it be something to say that it's better to regret having done something than to regret not doing something?

Lemonski

Is already coming for your pizza
    Years
    would it be something to say that it's better to regret having done something than to regret not doing something?
    Judging by my own experiences it feels worse to regret not doing something. When you've done things you regret in the past, you can remind yourself that at least you tried and you got the experience. If it's some negative stuff you've done that you regret, things can sometimes be talked about and resolved later too. If this makes any sense at all. ~_~

But yes, I regret that I haven't spent enough time with people that are important to me. I haven't spent much time with anyone lately, even with my friends because I'm so tired all the time. It makes me feel guilty really.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    My friends from middle school and high school, to be honest. I kept away from them for quite a while after we got outta school. Over the last year or two especially I've been trying to reconnect, because we never really wanted to lose contact, we just got caught up in life.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    (This became long whoops sorry)

I wish I spent more time with my childhood friends from ages 11 to 15. We all started secondary school and weren't gathering outside as much as we used to anymore, but at least they made attempts to get me out of the house by stopping at my door and asking me. I always refused, both because I was becoming more of an introvert home hermit and often because I just was lazy. We drifted apart in these years and that was entirely my fault (arguably, my mother's disapproval of them also was lowkey in play here).

Funnily, I only realized that when not me, but a then-friend of my had a dream. She told in class that she dreamed her own childhood friend came at her door, but that she didn't hang out with him because she was lazy. She said she regretted that and that made me realize that it was entirely my own doing. It felt like it was too late to restore friendship, even though they (they're brothers) live a few houses away from me. I was just so anxious about going to their door and asking them to come outside - it was one of the most irrational fears I had but I had it ever since I knew them at age 4.

Aside from that, I thought that it was too late because it had been years since we hung out together. I'd sometimes see them outside with some other people from the window (of course, they got other friends too), and that was always very disheartening to see. It continued to be a heartache until one day, when I saw both of them outside once again, I decided - no, this friendship must be relinked and it is my responsibility to do so. So in the most dramatic way for such a non-dramatic situation, I ran outside (making sure we wouldn't miss each other) and talked to them again. It felt awkward as hell to me, as if I suddenly didn't know how to talk to them anymore after all these years, but it was enough to rekindle the friendship. We exchanged numbers, asked each other (especially I to them) to hang out more often, and included each other in each other's lives again. We returned to the great friendship we had all along.

Nowadays, about 4 years later, they are still one of my closest friends, and along with two others from the neighbourhood we have a small friend group (mainly centered around Pok?mon). I honestly feel beyond blessed to have them back in my life; they are like a constant factor as I move through several life phases in my life, and it's very comforting to have such a close, but chill friendship with them. This specific happening taught me that I shouldn't let my friendships with people die - I should reach out to them and put equal effort in the friendship, to make sure it lasts. Though there were several more factors at play here (Pok?mon actually being one), it was 100% my fault that this happened. I do not want that again, especially not with them.

The only other people I regret not spending more time with are my aunts - and within my family as a whole - back when I was younger. Though I always enjoyed family gatherings, I did usually hide upstairs (puberty + games are fun). Unfortunately, now that I would like to spend quality time with my family, the ties have worsened due to several fights and unresolved tension, so the family feeling I had years ago is no more. I am sometimes envious of my sister that she was able to fully experience the family while it was still intact and fun, because I never will.

Last edited:
    Back