• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you like or dislike the designs?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    S/V Pokemon designs is like how it's always been for literally every generation for me: a mixed bag. Some are good shit, others aren't.

meanwhile I want starter final form info, I still don't know which one I wanna go with

Years
  • S/V Pokemon designs is like how it's always been for literally every generation for me: a mixed bag. Some are good shit, others aren't.

meanwhile I want starter final form info, I still don't know which one I wanna go with

I don't think we will get starter evo info unless it leaks online honestly. I too wanna see what the evos are for the starter mons.

Years
  • In my opinion, they are overall weaker than Gen VI-VIII, but still great. I find some quite lazy, like there is another generic cat and dog Pokémon. But for each lazy design, there is 1 or 2 great designs.

And for some reason, the 3D models look ugly. I can't quite say why, but they are so awful.

Years
  • In my opinion, they are overall weaker than Gen VI-VIII, but still great. I find some quite lazy, like there is another generic cat and dog Pokémon. But for each lazy design, there is 1 or 2 great designs.

And for some reason, the 3D models look ugly. I can't quite say why, but they are so awful.

I truly have some hope for the Team Star stuff and then how battling the leaders/admins work.. It sounds quite promising from what people said during the preview. I expect if we do have a car Pokemon for it to be super cool design wise. Also I do like the starters designs, Bellibolt, and wigglett.

Years
  • Mixed bag as always.

Sprigatito and Quaxly look great. The new Girafarig evo looks good too.
    The Poison/Normal monkey is pretty good, though not as good as the above.

The cover legendaries are still unimpressive to me, but they're okay. Cyclizar looks good though.
    Pretty much everything else is 'meh', except for wiglett, which is just plain bad.

Mikachu

Veteren Trainer
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Cali
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I honestly like all of the designs I've seen so far. Some took some time to... grow on me, but overall, I'm liking the designs we've been seeing ^^

Given I love Girafarig but haven't ever used one all too much since gen 2, I'm hoping Farigiraf's Shiny design looks nice so I can use the shiny Girafarig I have just sitting in my PC on my HG ^^

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I don't really care too much for their designs, but I do like Sprigatito's design quite a lot because it's the cutest little thing. It probably gives Torchic a run for its money. I also believe that Ceruledge's design is really cool. Koraidon looks too much like it swallowed a tire, which is so goofy to me. In any case though, I care more about a Pokémon's stats, abilities, and moves more than designs. Thus far, no information has been released on that right now.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • This is the first time I'm finding myself not really liking the 3D models at all, but liking the 2D artwork far more. I don't know, it something with these models that makes them look way too realistic and I'm just... not... liking it? It's just really strange looking. Some look great. Like, the starters and Faidough (Is that how that name is spelled? Can't remember...) But some are just terrible, like Fargiraf, I don't like how it looks in 3D. I'm hoping that "game footage is not final" is the truth on this one, because some of them are just...not good.

But, I like how they look in 2D. Oh, well.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • This is the first time I'm finding myself not really liking the 3D models at all, but liking the 2D artwork far more. I don't know, it something with these models that makes them look way too realistic and I'm just... not... liking it? It's just really strange looking. Some look great. Like, the starters and Faidough (Is that how that name is spelled? Can't remember...) But some are just terrible, like Fargiraf, I don't like how it looks in 3D. I'm hoping that "game footage is not final" is the truth on this one, because some of them are just...not good.

But, I like how they look in 2D. Oh, well.

Same here! I think you summed up my complaints about the 3D modeling in one post. The realistic style is not only a jarring change compared to previous generations because the design philosophy has changed, but it also looks very unlike Pokémon, as if it were trying to ape other monster-catching franchises. Others might be happy about it, but this was not the kind of progress I wanted to see.

For that matter, I don't like a huge majority of the designs, either human or Pokémon. The words "Fakemon" and "AI-generated Pokémon" are popping up increasingly often in my thoughts about the new Mons, and I think I might be onto something. The only Mons that remotely capture the essence of previous Generations to me, which is why I like them, are the basic-stage starters, Cyclizar, Miraidon, Wiglett, Paldean Wooper, and maybe Armarouge and Ceruledge. Everyone else just looks... weirdly foreign.

At this point, I'm seriously considering doing an "absolutely no new Mons unless they're the starter or a Shiny" challenge run like I did in Pokémon Xenoverse - a fan game. Like it happened in that fan game, perhaps it will allow me to see if something's up with the new designs.

CZL

Years
  • i agree that most of the designs are alright in the 2d art but the models just look suuuuuper bad. some of the designs are still really lacking either way though, there are certain ones you can tell were designed in 3D instead of 2D and it definitely has a negative effect for me. i disliked some gen 8 pokemon when they were coming out too tho and i warmed up to them

Last edited:

Ven9496

the strongest lesbian pokemon trainer in the world
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Nov 7, 2023
    god i hate greavard. love everyone else tho

Years
    • they / them
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Not a fan of how the game itself looks visually, its art direction is so uneven. But I really like the Pokemon, especially now having seen more of them. I rarely ever dislike Pokemon designs outright, but the new ones feel unconventional in a way that's fun to me. They're weird.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Now that I've seen every pokemon. I can say it is about normal, out of all the new pokemon/forms there is about 28 that I like. This is my opinion. But I will say, a large amount of the pokemon this generation look very weird or basic/bland. There is one specific pokemon that look horrendous compared to its pre evo. And I am sure there will be a LOT of hate for the generation, especially for those who hate humanoid pokemon. Possibly on par with Unova when it first came out.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Having seen the full Dex leak...

Spoiler:

Years
    • they / them
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    The new Pokemon are definitely out there compared to previous ones. I think it just comes down to how far you like seeing the bar get pushed - I think feeling strong negativity about these is totally understandable and I get where it comes from. But for me I think I like the new Pokemon for the exact reason others hate them. It's all a matter of taste, really.

I'd also say it's probably worth waiting to see how the 2D art will look for a lot of these Pokemon, that's often a big gamechanger. I do think that 2D art is still where Game Freak's talent lies even though they've been working in 3D for a good decade or so now.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • I'd also say it's probably worth waiting to see how the 2D art will look for a lot of these Pokemon, that's often a big gamechanger. I do think that 2D art is still where Game Freak's talent lies even though they've been working in 3D for a good decade or so now.

You're right on this - the PLA artbook did warm me up to a couple of the Hisuian Mons like the H-Sneasel line. To what extent this will apply to this Generation's roster is up for debate, though; most of the Pokémon that were revealed since the games were announced had accompanying 2D art, and I still couldn't warm up to a lot of them. It's the design philosphy that has changed, not the 2D art style - and if the base design is bad, there is little chance that a drawing will improve it.

Years
  • Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:
    Back