• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

do you look down on people who are doing low skill jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019
    In third world countries, it would be understandable since there are not much opportunities.

In first world countries such as U.S., there is no excuse. I don't have much respect for people who
    born in america, speak English, in his/her 30 and still doing menial jobs. Seriously, these menial jobs
    are for immigrants who English skill are not good. They have much opportunites in america and all
    they know is cleaning, retailing etc... they are lazy.

what your opinion?

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2014
    What do you do for a living, Dogtree?

I've worked all kinds of jobs to get where I am now. Some of them not very pleasant. But no person should feel they are above an honest days work. So I respect them, it's a much better choice than being unemployed.

Years
  • I think it is an unfair assumption that everyone who works in "low skill jobs" is automatically lazy. Education isn't always free and often not easily affordable. Some people work in these jobs while still in education to help pay their bills and some people may not be able to afford to study (or at least study what they really want) in the first place. You know, not everyone is born with enough money to afford all the education they want. I am lucky that university is free here so I was able to choose this path of education but not everyone has that chance. Where I live, we often have the situation that people with parents which didn't receive university education won't try to get into university themselves.

Also, there needs to be someone who does these "low skill jobs". I don't like this term very much; if you work a lot even those jobs can be very demanding mentally (especially when you have people who are looking down on you for the job you are doing) and physically. Additionally, these jobs are usually not so well paid so you need to work even more and harder to be able to sustain yourself. How is that "lazy"? There may even be people who actually enjoy some of these jobs. What's wrong with that?

To answer the question, no, I don't look down on these people (I'm still in education and don't have a job yet) as long they are working hard and this isn't a result of them making no effort in school and not pursuing additional education when they had the funds and the chance to do so.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    In third world countries, it would be understandable since there are not much opportunities.

In first world countries such as U.S., there is no excuse. I don't have much respect for people who
    born in america, speak English, in his/her 30 and still doing menial jobs. Seriously, these menial jobs
    are for immigrants who English skill are not good. They have much opportunites in america and all

what your opinion?

I'm going to tell you a story, dogtree.

When my mother was young, her father died, leaving her with an emotionally unstable, abusive mother. Because her home life was terrible, she dropped out of school just before graduating. A few years later, she married my father and became a stay-at-home mother as he was a computer programmer and she didn't have to work.

Fast forward 10 or so years and my father gets worse and worse, to the point that she has no choice but to divorce him (I'm not going to go into his actions here). He games the system to not pay child support that he can afford, but she wins sole custody of us because she was the better parent in every sense. But now she has two children, no support through my father, and no high school degree. With a lot of help from some friends she managed to get a job at an apartment complex, that she then turned into a fairly well-paying job without a high school degree or any higher education. Then she got "laid off" by vindictive bosses who didn't like that her integrity told her to prohibit them from stealing from the company.

This was in the middle of the recession; my mother was unemployed and supporting two teenagers. Everywhere she looked her education wasn't enough, the job that she worked so hard to move up in didn't help. She finally applied at McDonald's, got the position and worked nights. She went to school during the day, getting her GED and an Associate's so she could move into an accounting job.

---

But you would have seen her behind the counter, taking your order as a 40-something woman, and thought "you have no excuse, you're pathetic." The moral of this story is: you don't know anyone's story, and you don't have any right to judge them. You don't know where they came from, how they were raised, what their family was like, what their significant others were like, whether or not they have children, what they needed to have a job (many of the people my mother worked with needed to have a job on the bus route which is difficult in a place with very little public transportation), or what they're doing outside of that job. It's honestly insulting and rage-inducing to know people like you walked into McDonald's and decided that my mother had no excuse for working there and judged her without knowing her life story and how she ended up there. I think you need to take a good hard look at your life and your judgments.

(and this isn't even getting into the whole can of worms of that terrible, ignorant "immigrants are lazy" statement)

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • In third world countries, it would be understandable since there are not much opportunities.

what your opinion?
    I think you completely lack an understanding of the circumstances in which many people find themselves.

All manner of things could go wrong in someone's life to force them into that kind of situation. Some of those things might have been their fault, some not so much. But people aren't perfect; we make mistakes. And some of those mistakes are things we can never recover from. There are a lot of people in their 30s who, for whatever reason, lack the requisite skill set to do anything more than menial labor. Maybe they even want to go back and continue or finish their education but can't afford to stop working long enough to do so (not to mention all the costs associated with college). Or maybe they already successfully completed their education but their field of expertise is not an area with a high demand in labor, so they're forced to work lower-paying jobs to keep from starving.

This is a complex topic and you're trying to make a very harsh judgment based on a gross over-simplification. The short of it (if I can even shorten something this complex accurately) is that once you get into a hole (one you dug yourself or one you just fell into), it can be very hard, if not impossible, to get back out of it. Life is harsh and unforgiving, even with how much we've advanced in the past few centuries.

You are so quick to judge, so let me ask you: have you never made mistakes that you've later come to regret? Do you find yourself so perfectly motivated that, were you born into opportune circumstances, you would work single-mindedly toward success every waking moment of your life without ever suffering a single lapse in judgment? Maybe you are such a perfect, infallible person, though I highly doubt it. But even if you were, how would you handle it if, say, your single mother got into a car crash when you were fresh out of high school and lost much of her mobility, for instance? Someone needs to pay for her healthcare and other living expenses, and while employers aren't supposed to discriminate against people with disabilities, they most certainly do. So she's not going to be paying. If you, with your single-minded determination, tried to go to college in this situation, your mother would die. So what do you do? You work a menial labor job, possibly working six days a week on twelve hour shifts, so that you can make enough money to pay for your mother and for you to get by.

That's just one potential pitfall. There are countless. What if someone sues you? What if YOU lose your mobility? What if, what if, what if. And most people aren't as perfect as you. Most people make mistakes, and these mistakes can haunt them for the rest of their lives. So forgive me if I'm a bit more empathetic than you as to the plight of the impoverished. Most people aren't there because they're lazy. After all, most of these jobs aren't exactly a walk in the park to begin with; there are other ways for a lazy person to get by that don't involve taking jobs doing mindless, back-breaking labor for most of their waking life.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    That kind of mentality is so annoying. There are many reasons why someone who is older works a job like that. The fact that you place yourself above them and look down on them is ♥♥♥♥ed up and only fuels other people to have that same mentality. I have respect for anyone who works. Those kinds of jobs are not fun and no matter why they are in that situation I don't think any less of them or treat them badly.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
  • My mom has this exact mindset and it pisses me off.

I find that I feel more badly for these people that they have to work crappy jobs. I view crappy jobs as a starter point. You start off low so you can go higher and make more money in the future. But some people are forced to stay and work crappy jobs as a living. I feel really bad for them and I view myself as lucky that I don't have to work like that.

These people don't CHOOSE to work these crappy jobs. People only work these jobs because they have to and they have nothing else. After all, who would rather slave away all day and make minimum wage when they can be making $80,000 a year? I doubt these people choose to flip burgers for a living. They're forced to due to various problems (family troubles, laid off a job, etc). Working crappy jobs is better than not working at all. People need to make money to live so they do whatever it takes.

I look down upon people who lie in bed all day and live off welfare without trying to get a job or be useful in society. Now, THAT'S lazy and these people are the ones you should look down upon. Not the ones that are actually working hard.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I enjoy my unskilled work well enough, and have always held an inner respect for such jobs. There is really a sort of dignitiy to it in that a functional society works from the ground up. One can't make an ant colony populated entirely by queens; by the same token, we can't and shouldn't all aspire to do 'respectable' work, because most of us are required to fulfill simpler duties.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • As someone who used to work a low-skill job and who's job is still considered low-skill I can say that I hate everyone who does. You don't know why they are working there.

I am a manager at Taco Bell, 90% of our crew is there because they need extra money so they picked up a second job to help supplement their first job or they are working during college. The people who are there and have been there for years make decent money..so why leave? It's just smart to stay at a job if it's decent paying and relatively easy albeit stressful.

Customers come through all the time and treat us poorly just because we work there. Then they get angry for absolutely no reason and call over a manager then take it out on us. But I also love when they come through and do this because if I am there I will go right to the window when they pull up and explain to them why they are not getting their food.

I will stay at Taco Bell as long as I possibly can. I make decent money, I love my job, and I love the people I work with. I never go home without an interesting story and to me that makes my job all the better.

Khilia

Kawaii in the streets, senpai in the sheets
    Years
  • Getting a job of any sort is like one of that hardest things ever in this area, so no matter what kind of "low skilled" job anyone has, let it be those kinds of jobs like cleaning or whatever, all I can do is to look up to them since they still have something to earn a bit of money from, and it's better than no job at all :<

Years
  • Not entirely sure that's the best kind of mindset to have going through life, I mean, it sounds kind of snobby in my opinion OP \: Because of my self-consciousness, and frequent habit of blaming myself for family matters, I feel like they're doing better than I am at the moment. They're earning money to provide for themselves, and possibly for their family. I think my perception of low-skill workers comes from me being in school for the past 3 years has something to do with it. Even though I'm actively in school, educating myself for the best possible future for myself, I feel a sense of uselessness. Conclusively, I guess I'm neutral on the matter; I don't really have an outright opinion regarding those kinds of workers.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I'm quite insulted by this. You don't know their story and you have no right to judge people because of this. And as for the immigrants doing only the menial jobs, that's just plain rude.

Just because they work in retailing doesn't mean they're lazy. It's because they need a job because they need to pay bills. The market in many fields is saturated right now. Hell, there's been many articles where there are Ph.D holders who can't find a proper job so as of now they're working in retail or fast food. And for those people who are working those jobs permanently, they need money to survive. Do you think that if they had a choice of working in a better job they wouldn't take it? You've never been in a situation where you needed money for your family and had no other choice but to work at such a place. I have respect for anyone who has a job or who is looking for a job. You have no reason to look down on them and that's just disrespectful on your part.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    For one thing, the fact that there are people who look down upon those who are working these low-paying jobs is downright infuriating to me; they have no idea what conspired that would have them working these positions for extended periods of time, if not for the rest of their lives. For quite a few people, they're in that position because they're forced to in one way or another.

Take myself, for instance. I'm working at a McDonald's because I adamantly refused to learn how to drive a motor vehicle. The fear of getting into an accident, & potentially end up being crippled is a scary though, I'm not going to lie. Ultimately, the price for that is that I can't work anywhere without having someone else drive me to work, which thus severely limits the times that I can work, as all the jobs are far away from home. Of course, it'd be not much of an issue if I was at an urbanized area, but as of now, I'm not. Another thing is, I wasn't able to come up with what I really wanted to be in life, as there's so many choices that I wound up being overwhelmed.

Thus, I don't have a choice in this matter. But even then, I still feel as it I hadn't hit rock bottom. For me, the definition of rock-bottom is being a truant person who makes zero effort into making an impact of society. These are the kind of people that should be frowned down upon, as the only thing they're doing is being a parasite, either to their parents or to the government. It's one thing to be crippled so much that you can't work, it's a completely different matter to not even try. For Christ's sake, DO SOMETHING!!!

On the brighter side of things, there are also people that do appreciate the work that we put in, & I am grateful for those that are. They drive me to push on in these dismal times. & lastly, for those that share similar thoughts to me, I thank you all.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Let me just say this: my weekly routine consists of several things, including but not limited to going to the grocery store to get food, watching television, going to work, and doing stuff on the internet. That said, the cashiers at the grocery store play just as important a role in my daily life as the engineers at Time Warner who work to provide me with internet and cable.

So no, I don't look down on anyone on the basis of how much skill is required to do their job :P

Years
  • To me, age doesn't matter to what type of job a person has.

First off, there's a cart pusher at the local grocery store in my town. This is the same grocery store that my father's parents shopped at when he was a teenager growing up. My dad tells me that this is the same cart pusher that's been there since he was a teenager, and he's been working at the store since it opened up.

There is no reason for people to look down on others for not having lower-skill jobs at older ages. Perhaps the cart pusher I described above enjoys his job for all we know.

Years
  • I don't like to look down on people with low skill jobs. Nowadays, getting a job isn't easy, so it's not exactly something that I think I should dislike anyone for, or even close to it. I mean there are people all over the place, like those who provide yummy food to people, as well as some that work in offices and file documents, so no. I don't have anything on them.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019
    Damn . i know this will coming up. you cant judge person unless you know them. BUT in the real world , it does not work that way. For example., If u see a fat person, u gona assume
    that no exercise. the same go for people who do low skill job. The problem is you dont have time to get to know everyone. Everyone judge. Would u be friend with someone who has tattoo all over their face???? he might be a good person.. BUt DOnt judge get to know him.!!! i dont understand this mind set

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Damn . i know this will coming up. you cant judge person unless you know them. BUT in the real world , it does not work that way. For example., If u see a fat person, u gona assume
    that no exercise. the same go for people who do low skill job. The problem is you dont have time to get to know everyone. Everyone judge. Would u be friend with someone who has tattoo all over their face???? he might be a good person.. BUt DOnt judge get to know him.!!! i dont understand this mind set

Actually, that is exactly how it works in the real world. If you don't know a person and you still judge them, chances are you're going to make an inaccurate judgment. That's just common sense, really.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Damn . i know this will coming up. you cant judge person unless you know them. BUT in the real world , it does not work that way. For example., If u see a fat person, u gona assume

We are human beings that have control over our thoughts and judgments. You are not incapable of understanding logic and incorporating it into your thought processes. In the event that you don't have time to get to know the person behind the counter, you should give them the benefit of the doubt, instead of defaulting to a negative judgment of them. Especially if it has no impact on your life whatsoever to give them a positive judgment. Your judgments are conscious, and you have the power to change them. You're not an animal.

Yes, I would be friends with someone who has tattoos all over their face. And no, not all fat people don't exercise.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back