• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you nickname?

Takumi.

Heart of a Clockwork Child
Years
  • Just wondering how many people use nicknames?

Do you use random ones? or ones that mean something to you? maybe you keep nicknames reserved to your favorite main? Or maybe even strategic so nobody knows whos coming out to battle?

I've never nicknamed any pokemon, unless im trading them to a friend. Then I'll give them a really crappy nickname haha :/ But when I play gams such as final fantasy, I keep everything default. Finding a name is really difficult for me, I use Takumi from an anime series called Initial D lol

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Just moving this over to Pokémon Gaming Central since it sounds like you're referring to nicknaming withing the games. Pokémon General is for stuff that don't fit into other sections of PC :]

And I usually don't nickname, actually. I tend to change my mind so often and grow bored with nicknames. Sometimes I nickname them alphabetically in the order I capture them though!

Takumi.

Heart of a Clockwork Child
    Years
  • Just moving this over to Pokémon Gaming Central since it sounds like you're referring to nicknaming withing the games. Pokémon General is for stuff that don't fit into other sections of PC :]

And I usually don't nickname, actually. I tend to change my mind so often and grow bored with nicknames. Sometimes I nickname them alphabetically in the order I capture them though!

I see, ty :) Ye I do mean within the games

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • I never do nickname my in-game team however if I ever was to make a competitive team, I'll definitely use nicknames on all of my members. It'll take me a while to think about though, I'm not so creative!

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I never nickname my Pokémon. I have hard time coming up with nicknames, and I'd rather leave a Pokémon unnicknamed than name it something stupid.

LuminescentUmbreon

Eeveelution Trainer
    Years
  • I've never nicknamed any of my Pokemon until Y. I decided to give it a go for some odd reason and I actually enjoyed doing it, it made me a bit more attached to them. :P

Years
  • I used to hate the idea of nicknaming my pokemon, but then I did a nuzlocke and after that it felt weird not to! I usually name them after characters from shows, movies or books, but sometimes I'll name them after PC friends or acquaintances for funsies :D

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I love nicknaming. I love good names, funny names, weird names, and random names. It's all good. I don't like inappropriate names though. Hate when I get those off Wonder Trade. :( But yeah, I do nickname all of my stuff. I hate that most people seem to not like them, though, some even going as far as to not trade for Pokemon with nicknames. It's just something I'll never understand. What's the harm? Especially if it's a good nickname.

Also, I was looking at stuff on the GTS today and found a Vaporeon named "Brain power" up for trade. Hilarious and all, but that thing is not getting traded any time soon. lol

stp

ShootThePuck
    Years
  • All the time. I think it gives your Pokemon character and distinguishes your [Pokemon name] from an AI's [Pokemon name]. I like using a lot of Latin names or just naming them after characters, friends, people, etc. I think it makes in-game runs even more fun.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I rarely nickname my Pokémon. Last time I ever did it was about six years ago when playing Emerald. Long time, right? Only time you'd ever see my Pokémon have nicks is when I get them off GTS or Wonder Trade, haha.

psychomew2

Rank 1: Otsdarva
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2014
    I generally don't seeing as I can't ever think of anything that strikes me as creative or clever. I would rather avoid using predictable nicknames, or names that a ton of people already use. I would nickname more if only my imagination was a bit better :/.

Years
  • There's too many Pokemon to nickname! D: It takes too much creativity and imagination to come up with unique nicknames for every individual Pokemon that I collect OTL

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

It generally depends on what sort of mood I'm in when I start the game. If I'm in a nicknaming mood at the start, then I'll continue to name them throughout the game, because it would be weird to have some with nicknames and some without.

I'll generally go with nicknames with a particular theme too... Harry Potter names often pop up, or other names related to whatever books/movies I'm into at the time.

Years
  • I didn't seriously for a while, except on a few competitive styled ones. White 2 was the first time I did seriously, and since then I almost always have nicknamed. And after doing Nuzlockes and such, I've felt it as an obligation. Or an addiction, more like.

Years
  • I rarely nickname my Pokemon, and those nicknames are very bad.
    Zigzagoon for example, I named it "Slave".

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
  • I usually try to nickname anything I think I might be using during the course of my playthrough... post-game, eeeh, only if I plan to acctually use them.

I ALWAYS nickname my starter, since it's almost always going to stick in my team to the end!

I know in the past the nicknames I had for my starters where...

Y: Fennekin- Hazel
    Sapphire: Torchic- Torchy (renamed Torcher when it evolved... and though I can't nickname it again since I transferred him, I refer to him as Scorcher now.)
    SoulSilver: Chikorita- Happa (Reference to the Beta of Gold and Silver)
    Pearl: Chimchar- Pyro

And sometimes, if I get anything special in a trade, I like to ask for a nickname if I can.

At some point a few years back, I got a Treeko in a trade... I think he had good IVs or something, and I had him nick'd "GCutter" And a female Munchlax named "Mr.Munchy"
    more recently, a 5iv Shinx nick'd "Zimba", an Eevee with some good IVs named "Starfee" (Frozen Faerie in German), and there may have been one or two that I forgot.

Back