• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

do you teach HMs to Legendary Pokèmon?

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    I use surf alot on legendaries since it is the strongest water move or equal to hydro pump so it has more PP for the same power what can go wrong

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2024
    I don't even catch Legendaries unless I have to .-.(because I mostly do challenges and got no time to waste on Legends hunting xD)
    So the answer would be no.

Years
  • No, I usually just use derps like Bidoof, Pidgey and Rattata for HMs. And sometimes Marill.

I like the designs of most legendaries, sometimes I use them others I don't.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • I don't usually teach HMs to legendaries, especially when you realize that there's only one of each legendary Pokemon in the universe. I feel that it's better to make use of other reliable moves without having to change your mind. At one point I did however teach Thundurus to Fly because it was the most powerful STAB Flying-type move for use on the Battle Subway. Other than that, I'd just use my HM slaves.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • Just my Mew. I use her as an HM Hero. (Or slave, as many call them.)

I've seen scumbag memes for using Mew in this way, but think about it: you can't get it until after story mode, practically all post-story modes ban it (such as the battle facilities), and competitive has deemed it as an unfair uber (until recently.) By keeping Mew this way, I can actually use it in my party more frequently than I would if I trained it, only for me to never use it.

Years
  • On the rare occasion I might teach one of my Water-type legendaries Surf, or one of the Flying-types will get Fly, but generally I don't teach my legendaries any HMs.

The one exception to this though was the first time I played Sapphire. Kyogre was the only Water-type that I wanted to have with me, so I figured it would be a good idea to teach it Surf, Dive and Waterfall. I also taught it Strength for some reason, making the game's legendary mascot nothing more than an HM slave.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
    Years
  • Ive had hacked Mew's that i use as a HM Slave.

but ill teach my Articuno Fly. but thats about it.
    maybe the odd water legendary surf. but thats it.

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    I taught Zekrom Fly in my White run, because I thought, how cool is it that N gets to ride Reshiram all over Unova ^_^

Years
  • I teach them all flash.

Hehe.. Well, like most Hms, I only eveeeeer have either fly or Surf, because they are actually good moves. So I don't mind if Rayquaza knows fly, Kyogre knows surf and etc. But I don't like any other Hm's, and just use a slave for them. :3

Years
  • Yes I've taught HMs to my legendaries. My Kyogre actually has all HM moves, those being Surf, Strength, Waterfall, and Dive.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    My Palkia and Kyogre, they both know the HM move Surf.
    While my brother's Rayquaza, which I also borrow his game, knows the move Fly.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Only Surf and Fly, and that also for practical purposes. Very rarely I also teach them Strength, but that's only a placement for no better move for grinding with.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Yeah, I think I avoid teaching legendary pokémon HMs because I don't want to destroy them pretty much. Sure, they can forget a move at a move deleter, but I still feel like legendaries shouldn't be used for HMs. I don't have a rational explanation for it, I guess I'm just on the team that thinks so :3

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    Yeah, I think I avoid teaching legendary pokémon HMs because I don't want to destroy them pretty much. Sure, they can forget a move at a move deleter, but I still feel like legendaries shouldn't be used for HMs. I don't have a rational explanation for it, I guess I'm just on the team that thinks so :3

I get it, because they are legendary after all.
    In fact I have a similar struggle prior to letting Palkia and Kyogre learn Surf -- they should learn their associated/signature moves or powerful ones. Plus you want them to be more original like what L96 said.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • Surf is the only exception for me because I love using it in battle and it doesn't feel like I'm wasting a move slot by teaching it to a legendary. Generally I don't teach any legendaries Fly since by the time I get a legendary I've also already got a reliable Flying type that I can use to get around.

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
    Years
  • No, I pretty much never teach Legendary Pokémon HMs, mainly because they are more powerful, so I don't use them on my team except when I use, for example, Zapdos as a Thunder Wave slave. And yes, I agree, some Legendaries do make good HM slaves (especially Mew, which I only use in Blue/Yellow version because you can get it with a glitch in there), but come on, teaching Cut or Flash to a legendary just makes it less... powerful?

And besides, most of the times the Pokémon I use on my team can learn the good HMs (Fly, Surf, sometimes Strength), so there's no need for a "legendary slave".

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Seeing as they usually become my HM slaves in-game, yes. Pretty handy when you need that random Rock Smash, Cut, or Flash.

Nakala Pri

Nah, I don't make a habit of it. After all, teaching Zekrom Toxic would be just, weird. xD

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    I have before, but now I prefer to leave my legendary 'mons untouched. I actually taught an HM to my Entei because I didn't care much about it (thankfully, I've reset HG and I can catch it again).

Back