• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Do you think they will all make it in?

Sirfetch’d

With the upcoming DLC it is confirmed that we will get around 200 of the old Pokemon bringing the total to over 600 in the game. This will leave roughly 300 of the Pokemon left out. If anything, this shows that they are willing and capable of patching the Pokemon in so I ask, do you think that they will all be in before the games stop getting updates?

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    I don't think so, even if they could do it (which I think they do). If they had in mind adding the ~300 Pokémon left they wouldn't be insisting that only certain Pokémon would be transferable from Home and would preferably say that every Pokémon will be patched in eventually.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
    Years
  • Well, it's easy to think that everyone will make it in if they continue with this pattern of DLC patches. However, this seems to contradict a belief held by GF in the prerelease period, in that Home would be used as a hub to store all your Pokemon for future adventures, and some Pokemon would refuse to go to a region because they don't like the climate. I also heard somewhere that rosters would be rotated in and out for future releases, so for example, the next game could bring back Cubone, however Wooloo will get cut because of it, and the cover legendaries will result in Zacian and Zamazenta getting cut. There is also the possibility that this is happening because fans voiced their opinions loud enough over the dex cuts, so GF are compensating for it by steadily reintroducing older species that weren't in the game, but I don't think this is the case and it seems to have been planned from the start.

Years
  • Sadly I don't think all of the Pokemon will make it to SwSh. I also think after this DLC they will probably be releasing the next games rather than making more DLC for these ones.

I hope I'm wrong though, and would love to see all Pokemon finally make it to Galar and further DLC for SwSh.

pkmin3033

Possibly. Most games these days do not get more than one Expansion Pass, and I would assume that the remaining 300-ish Pokemon would have to come with more DLC. I think it unlikely Game Freak will want to make more DLC for SnS next year (after all, all the content they cut from SnS will be in the existing pass, so they'd have to actually do something new) and would instead be focusing on the next games/oft-coveted DP remakes, but if SnS continue to sell well this year and the Expansion Pass is received positively by critics...well, it's possible. But if we're assuming no more DLC, I would say it's extremely unlikely they'll just patch the last ones in. Too much effort, not enough profit.

So, who knows. If they did it'd certainly be highly entertaining, after the Dexit debacle and their stubborn insistence that this is how it's going to be from now on. If they don't...well, not much changes from right now. An additional 200 still isn't the full dex, so it's really not that impressive, and certainly not something to be grateful for.

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
    Years
  • If anything, the upcoming DLC and patches prove that they could certainly put every Pokémon in the game, but they're probably counting on making more money from a subscription-based Pokémon Home service, essentially making you pay to keep your Pokémon hostage - I realize that sounds a bit dramatic, but still. I guess if the DLCs sell really well, and Pokémon Home sells poorly, then maybe, but it seems unlikely.

Years
  • Mostly no, but I guess it's still possible GF will give us another expansion pass eventually that includes the remaining Pokémon? Wouldn't put it past them, but at the same time I feel this may be the only DLC we get for SwSh.

Years
  • I'm going against the grain and saying i'm awaiting the day they ALL make it in. I'm CONVINCED it'll be at the end that Gamefreak surprises us. Don't stop believing friends. :)

Phyrrhic

It's not very effective...
    Years
  • Its an interesting question. If GF is switching to a bi-yearly release cycle, I can imagine another set of DLC in 2021 to include the remainder of the roster.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I'd really love to believe they would eventually, but no, I doubt it. Not in 2020 at least - and by then who knows what Game Freak will be doing with the franchise.

Rynamite

Teaghlaigh, Dílseacht, Misneach
    Years
  • do you think that they will all be in before the games stop getting updates?

Short answer: I believe so yes.

Long answer: While I do believe we would eventually see all pokemon readily available in this generation. However I do not think it will be a simple as all pokemon being in just one game. With the remaining "300" I would wager maybe a split of 150 goes to sword and 150 goes to shield. I don't think Game Freak and Pokemon Co. would just shove the leftover 300 into each game... They would want to enhance and continue the use of trading etc. etc.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Considering Hidden Power isn't a thing anymore, I'm very doubtful of that (you know, Unown having only that one move and all), but hopefully they implement the lost moves too.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Chances are a few more moves will come back into the game, as some of the returning Pokemon may have moves unique to them that they most likely won't just suddenly leave out. We already know that Volcarona is gonna be back, and it's the only user of Fiery Dance, for example.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    Chances are a few more moves will come back into the game, as some of the returning Pokemon may have moves unique to them that they most likely won't just suddenly leave out. We already know that Volcarona is gonna be back, and it's the only user of Fiery Dance, for example.

In fact, some of the cut moves are in fact signature moves of Pokemon that didn't make it in.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Sure, why not? They could do parts 3 and 4 dlc in 2021 and patch in the other 300 that way. Part 3 could have 150, and then part 4 could also have 150.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I think there might be a slim chance that all Pokémon will made it in if they do think on making more expansions for Sword/Shield. Even though I'm not sure if they'll implement it at the present moment.

Back