• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do your family or friends know you like Pokémon?

Years
  • I've seen many people say they wouldn't tell their family or friends about their love for Pokémon, and plenty of others who are very open about their love for it too. What side do you fall in? Do your family or friends know you're into Pokémon?

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • Yes, they do. But it's not something I talk too much about it irl atm, so they're all a bit indifferent about it.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I mean, by now everybody knows I like pokemon as much as I like some other stuff like star trek or marvel or doctor who. Since I don't collect merch or hardcore play the games or anything, it's not really a big deal.

I made the mistake of telling my bff that I met a boyfriend at a pokemon forum though, and she isn't good with knowing what to share and not share to others about others. I don't think she knows that I'm still active on said forum though, nor does anyone I haven't met on here tbh. I like to keep it that way; it's my slice of utter privacy away from my IRL life.

Years
  • I guess they have a general idea that I like Pokemon. been watching the anime and playing the games since I was a kid. plus my uncle bought me a pokemon shirt so I guess they know

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • My family is very familiar with my love for Pokemon, especially considering that, for a long period of my life, I was way more obsessed with it than I am now. My mom and stepdad went to see Detective Pikachu with me even though they don't know Pokemon, which I think is awesome (especially considering that I'd only actually asked my mom!) They legitimately enjoyed it. It was really nice to be able to talk about all our questions and likes and dislikes from the movie in the car afterwards.
    Me and my mom talk a lot, and honestly, I love it when I can tell her about something from Pokemon that she doesn't know. c: (Side note, she loves Yamper as much as I do.)

...Also, not a friend, but I once explained the entire Necrozma storyline from Ultra Sun & Moon to my therapist. :x It wasn't as unprofessional as it sounds, okay? It was to help me practice talking, basically. Anyway, she said it sounded pretty intense, and made her think of a science fiction version of Greek, etc. mythology.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • They do, even though I don't think they really care much. Also, I think both my father and my sister think I'm childish just because I love this franchise, but it's not like I care much about their opinions regarding this topic so I'm fine with that xD

WizardOfOdd

Kirbmeister
    Years
  • I used to have two elementary friends back in elementary school where we used to fight each other at pokemon platinum on nintendo ds. We were pokemon nerds at that time

Nowadays, my friend and i went to see detective pikachu movie but they're pretty much casual fan, while my parents knew about my love for pokemon through my TCG collecting hobbies

Last edited:
    Years
  • irl friends I made because I've played Pokemon, and we've been pretty avid fans since the third grade. =P

family... I believe so? I don't keep it a secret at any rate. But I also don't talk about it with them.

Lemonski

Is already coming for your pizza
    Years
  • Both friends and family do know that I like Pokemon! I talk about it relatively often and also wear related shirts for example, so it really isn't a secret. My friends and definitely the family have also seen that I own a decent amount of other Pokemon merch too.

Years
  • I was literally talking with my cousin about LGPE this afternoon, and the rest of my family knows I like Pokemon too. Even at work most of our younger staff know, since a bunch of us did group Pokemon costumes on Halloween, and I've gone both as Ash and a Team Rocket grunt in the past few years.

I don't go out of my way telling people I'm a Pokemon fan, but if they care to know, they'll find out soon enough haha

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    gestures at all the plushies and figurines and other pokemon merch that she has

i don't keep it a secret at all i stopped caring about whether or not people knew i liked pokemon a long time ago

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Everyone knows I like Pokemon. My friends plays it and most of my coworkers play at least Pokemon GO.

Years
  • i'm pretty open about liking pokemon! i've liked it for most of my life and my dad is actually kinda responsible for it, haha. my parents have always been supportive of all of my interests and most of my friends also like pokemon :D

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Heck yeah my folks know about my Pokemon obsession. In fact, it was my dad who encouraged it! It's sort of a running gag in the family now, "Jo's almost 30 and playing children's games" lmao.

NavyBlue

Hoenn Lover
    Years
  • Of course, with Pokemon being my favorite franchise, all of my friends and close family are aware of it. Granted, very few of them really relate at this point, but that's okay with me. As long as they acknowledge and aren't put off by my love for Pokemon, everything's cool. 👍

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • Yeah my nephews like pokemon...kinda, as for my workplace friends one of them was born in 1994 while other in 1997 and they like pokemon too

Last edited:

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • except for my bosses at work, almost everyone that knows me, knows I love Pokemon
    I don't try to hide it or anything
    I get good compliments at times when I pay and I take out my Eeveelution wallet

at times I wear one of my 5 Pokemon shirts in public

Last edited:

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
    Years
  • Meh, I tell everyone I meet in real life that I like pokemon. And I also tell many of them that I have a lesbian crush on Korrina, too, at that.

I'm just.....not really afraid of people. :/ If they aren't gonna accept me they aren't worth being friends with anyways. So why should I hide stuff from them?....

NOT saying you all should be as bold as I am. I mean, maybe some of you have good enough reasons NOT to be! :P Afterall, everyone's situations are so different....

Couples-Consoling

Husband and Wife Nuzlocke Let's Players!
    Years
  • I'm 29 and still really into Pokemon. I post about it on Facebook now and again, so it's not as though I hide it. Part of me is worried they judge me for it, but I don't have the attention span to care. And that's not me saying "oh, I don't care about it," I mean I literally forget to care while I get wrapped up in talking about whatever the hell I want. I don't do disingenuous too well.

Back