• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Easiest gym leaders

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • Basically, what are some of the easiest gym leaders in anything with the pokemon brand on it? Yes, not just the main series, but ROM hacks and fan games too. Any leaders out there you found so laughable you forgot they existed?

Because for me, and yes, I allowed the mention of ROM hacks for a reason, it would be the Grass leader from Glazed. I kid you not that he is literally, LITERALLY the easiest 'boss' I have ever fought in anything Pokemon related. First time I fought him, in a near blind run no less, I DESTROYED him. He was so insanely easy that I completely forgot he existed back when I was doing my original documentation for the run. No seriously, I didn't even realise I forgot him until YEARS later. Even from time to time I constantly forget him because he was so monstrously easy. On my other try taking him on, the most treatening thing he could do was stall me and he was still a joke. And I actually tried to challenge myself during that attempt too!

So excluding first gyms (since most of them are supposed to be passable), what are some of the easiest gyms in the whole franchise?

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2021
    Gen 2 Morty.
    Since the Phys/special split wasnt introduced then, the Gyms Pokemon didnt have strong Stab moves, as Ghost was physical, but his Pokemon were strong in special attack and weak in physical attack.
    His Pokemon were also all weak in defenses.

Years
  • Don't know enough about fan games to say right now, but easily Pryce. For being the 7th gym leader, he barely has any mons and they're super low level. not sure I ever had a problem battling him in any playthrough :x

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Falkner is a push over in gen 2 since he doesn't have access to roost. Even as someone who often picks chikorita.

Firered/Leafgreen have a plethora of easy gyms. Brock is probably going down with one super effective move if you didn't pick Charmander. You have an entire cave of diglett to make yourself nearly invincible agaisnt surge. By the time you reach Blaine/Giovanni it's likely you have a water type carrying surf, and they have no way of defending against it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Bugsy with his Metapod and Kakuna. I still don't understand why that even happened again in HGSS.

Years
  • oh yeah, forgot to mention erika
    i never had problems with her, even when using water types! but pryce will definitely take that #1 spot, probably followed by chuck haha

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i don't remember any gym leader in gen 6 being challenging at all. i don't even remember their names. like they were that unmemorable.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I find that most pokemon gym leaders are reasonably easy to defeat, however, one in particular that I never recall having any difficulties with was Roark. Rock types in general are quite fragile especially when grass and water types are readily available early on. Milo is another leader that sticks out in my mind as particularly weak.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • Liza & Tate were basically treated as easy "rock" type gymleaders in Ruby/Sapphire on my playthrough tbh

Years
  • Official games - Lt. Surge. Once you catch a Dugtrio, it's basically a free badge.
    ROM hacks - Pretty much every post game Gym Leader in Light Platinum. Heck the E4 and Champion were cakewalks even. 9 times out of 10 I'd OHKO/2HKO sweep their teams. Tis why I got bored and couldn't finish it all the way through.

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2021
    I'd have to go with Gen 2 Falkner and Gen 1 would have to be Blane for the easies gym leaders but hey that's just me.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Bumping thread! Also I did say briefly you aren't required to mention 1st leaders, since usually they would be pretty easy by default.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Giovanni is the easiest for me, I've never had a hard time beating Giovanni in Fire Red. Because Bulbasaur and Squirtle have a good match-up vs him. And for Charmander, there is no way we don't have at least one water Pokemon who know Surf at this point in the game. We get a free Lapras and a free Eevee (evolve to Vaporeon) at level 25, and both are very good water Pokemon.

Years
  • Going to add Wallace and Juan both to my list because they just weren't hard at that point in the game :( I always had a grass mon or move, and an electric type. Also why I found Wallace to be the easiest champion by far haha.

Years
  • Going to add Wallace and Juan both to my list because they just weren't hard at that point in the game :( I always had a grass mon or move, and an electric type. Also why I found Wallace to be the easiest champion by far haha.

Wallace gave me a pretty hard time when I first took him on thanks to the lack of Grass/Electric mons on my team lol. Swampert and Swellow carried me through my journey, so you can expect how well that final battle went.

EDIT: wait are we talking Gen 3 or the Gen 6 remakes?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I'd say almost all of generation six's gym leaders, and most of the Johto Gym Leaders, sans Whitney, Jasmine, and Clair, are the easiest gym leaders.

Johto especially. Pryce is supposed to be the seventh gym leader, but he still has Pokemon in the TWENTIES. Compare that the generation I's Blaine. All his Pokemon are 40 and above. I know you can pretty much do Chuck, Jasmine and Pryce in any order, but still, that's ridiculous. That's too low a level that late in the game already, assuming you do all the gym leaders in the normal order.

Other than that, no others, really. Obviously, most first gym leaders are going to be easy because they're supposed to be that way.

Years
  • I'd say almost all of generation six's gym leaders, and most of the Johto Gym Leaders, sans Whitney, Jasmine, and Clair, are the easiest gym leaders.

Johto especially. Pryce is supposed to be the seventh gym leader, but he still has Pokemon in the TWENTIES. Compare that the generation I's Blaine. All his Pokemon are 40 and above. I know you can pretty much do Chuck, Jasmine and Pryce in any order, but still, that's ridiculous. That's too low a level that late in the game already, assuming you do all the gym leaders in the normal order.

Other than that, no others, really. Obviously, most first gym leaders are going to be easy because they're supposed to be that way.

well my take on that is that Game Freak wanted to ensure Lance would still be a challenge while only being at Lv 50 max (since they needed to adjust the level curve for 16 badges and 2 champions). tis why chuck, jasmine, and pryce are all the same levels, and there's literally no trainers to grind off in Victory Road.

Back