• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald or Fire Red?

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    As a hack PLAYER, would you rather play a hack of Fire Red or Emerald?

Emerald with the extra stuff, but horrible houses (door animations are hard to change. T_T)

Or Fire Red with the epical tilesets?

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Uh... the point of hacking is to change the game into a completely different one right? So it shouldn't matter what ROM you are using.

I care very little what ROM the hack is based on so this wouldn't actually factor in my decision to choose one hack over the other.

Years
    Funny, I just posted a thread about Emerald. =P

Anyway, if it was done good, I'd probably go for Emerald, due to the PokéNAV and the icons for each town = epic.

SPEEDIE

*Insert Random Joke Here*
    Years
    i don't really care
    i usually play the hack because it looks good not because its a hack of a certain game

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
    I really wouldn't care. I'd rather play a hack with crappy door animations and awesome gameplay than a hack with good tilesets and bad gameplay. So it's what the hack's like, not what it's base is.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Well meh? It doesn't really matter since I'd play any interesting hack.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I have a personal bias towards Emerald, since it has everything I want from Firered and more. Epical tilesets are just as epically easy to change :/

DestinyBender

Mana du vortes, aeria gloris.
    Years
    Emerald, in my opinion.

There are better Pokemon that can be caught, like Skitty, Rayquaza.

But.. I really like the first gen Pokemons. Like Growlithe or Arcanine, Poliwhirl, Poliwag ;D

But I don't really care. As long as its enjoyable, fun, and the storyline is good.

~DB

Zeikku_Sidewinder

Hoothoots = Win.
    Years
    I'd like to see some people hack emerald more, because fact is:- It is just as stable as any ROM. The whole "It's not stable like Fire Red" is brought on by people not able to do anything about animations and resources, There is no indication that you MUST edit those animations. Fire Red is overused and I suppose it's features do appeal to most and I'll agree it has great structure to the way it's built. Fact is; I'm really dying to play an Emerald hack, the only promising one to me right now is, Pokemon: Eisstrum by tutti and that's only when he's working on it.

On topic.
    I'd say Emerald, for originality purposes.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2011
    I honestly don't care. If a hack/hacker is truly good, the base doesn't matter at all. FireRed might be overused, but how much quality hacks do we actually have? Remember folks: the base is nothing. What makes the difference is the effort we put into it. And for the sake of intelligence, let's all just stop talking about "stability". Kthx?

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
    I honestly don't care. If a hack/hacker is truly good, the base doesn't matter at all. FireRed might be overused, but how much quality hacks do we actually have? Remember folks: the base is nothing. What makes the difference is the effort we put into it. And for the sake of intelligence, let's all just stop talking about "stability". Kthx?

Yeah, no ROM is "unstable". If it messes up then the person hacking it is the one who messed up.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
    As of a few days ago, I think Fire Red owns ALL other ROM's, including Leaf Green, reason being JPAN released a patch that makes A LOT of new stuff happen, including even being able to make shiny pokemon, without having to have the shiny hack in your ROM.
    You should check it out in the toolbox I suppose, lol, as it kinda makes my opinion completely biased.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
    Emerald basically has most of the best features in it, including the internal clock. And there is now a tool in which prevents the truck motion at the start of the game.
    And the weather effects... like the sunny weather effect for instance would cause FireRed/LeafGreen to crash whenever you go onto the map, but it won't do anything to Emerald or R/S. So basically, if I had a choice... I'd go for Emerald. And I would copy the town map style from FireRed when doing a remake of Gold, Silver, or Crystal. Cause you can change some of the hex data. Even though I don't really know how to change the town map style in Emerald.

Back