• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[End-Game Spoilers] The Champion

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    If you finished the game, you already know the fact that in this game, after defeating the Elite Four, you're not battling the Champion. Instead, it's you who become the first Alola Pokémon Champion (and I won't count Prof. Kukui among one because he's in charge of maintaining the League in Alola). That means if you defeated the Elite Four once again, you'll have a challenger to fight with if you want to defend your title as the Champion. This is much different than the usual Pokémon League in the main games that I know of, for sure.

So... do you have any thoughts of this notable change? Do you prefer battling the Champion with the old fashioned way, or does becoming a Champion yourself is more enjoyable? Discuss away!

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I think it would have been more interesting if the Elite Four came and challenged you instead of you going back through their chambers just to get to yours for a title defense.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
    I loveloveloveLOVVEEEEE this so much!!!
    It's been one of the features I've been begging waiting for ages!!! It's about time they acknowledge your champion status in the league!

blue

gucci
    Years
    This is basically how it should've been right from the start. Being the Champion of the region is all about defending your title and trying to prove your place as the strongest trainer in the region. I'm so glad they introduced this in S/M as it now feels a lot more meaningful being Champion.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Okay wait so.... I never went back a second time after becoming champion but I remember the prof or whoever saying I would attract opponents. So if I were to go back, defeat the league again, and then sit in the champion chair will a npc come to challenge me?

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2019
    Okay wait so.... I never went back a second time after becoming champion but I remember the prof or whoever saying I would attract opponents. So if I were to go back, defeat the league again, and then sit in the champion chair will a npc come to challenge me?

yes! and you get all sorts of wacky people to challenge you

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    I really love this title-defense concept after becoming champion, because the possibilities are endless on who will challenge you for your title. I'd like to see this implemented in future generations.

Years
    Literally vindicates the whole aspect of being a 'Champion'. I have just become the champ for the first time, so I haven't gone through the Elite 4 for the second time and properly won't for a bit. But, to know that people come and challenge you is really good. What would be cool, is if you randomly got notifications that someone was waiting to challenge you. That would be cool, as it would really feel like you're defending your title.​

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Could have been executed better, and I would have liked to see some more trainers like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzWgKtDuU0M

But overall, it's a really nice touch to an already great game. I hate when noone treats you like the champion. I find it odd how the champion can't go in Ceruelean cave, but some random guy can stand in front of it. Or how you can't enter the radio tower. I wanna be liek "Boi I'm the strongest trainer alive, and you better stand aside if you don't want me to use Continental Crush on you."

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I like this concept of the region having no champion at first, then you becoming the first ever champion of that region. It's a fresh take on having to beat a preexisting champion first, IMO.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    The problem is that the games don't have a clear goal or ending any more. Maybe if there was a strict limit to these challengers? That would still be a bit artificial though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2019
    For a long while I've heard the point be made "You know, once you beat the champion, you really should be the one that's defending their title". It's about time the champion setup finally fits. I love it.

It was also a nice way of giving the prominent story characters one last fanfare - the only way it could be made better is if all the trial captains were tossed in too.

Years
    I remember having this discussion on PC before, about how Pokemon games should present challengers to the player after they become champion and I'm super glad Game Freak finally decided to implement this feature. It actually makes you feel like the league champion but I feel like we should have the option to just accept a challenger or take on the E4 again, cause it can be kinda tedious.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    It's a nice change from the previous Pokemon games, and it was really cool to see! I do love this idea where you defend your championship, which yeah, I do agree it's the route they should of gone from in the start; we should have people gunning for your championship, instead of just battling the E4 and the Champion over and over.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I like how you can defend your title after you become the champion. Hopefully they'll improve upon it in future generations. It would have been cool if you lost that the challenger would have actually become the new champion. (and you'd have to be the challenger next time)

I wish you didn't have the fight the elite four again though. I heard someone say you have to prove you can beat them but I feel like it would be better if they were challengers to the title just like anyone else. (It's kind of a turn off having to fight the elite four over and over just so I can face a new challenger) It makes it seem like it's just a regular Pokemon League challenge just with a different lick of paint, different but not TOO different.

I doubt it would happen, but it would be insane if "Pokemon Stars" had your character from Sun/Moon as the champion with the team you used. (Probably the most recent team so you could set it up) It could totally be abused sure, but really if somebody does that it's their choice really....(it's not like the games are that difficult to begin with anyway)

Back