• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Uh, I thought we were friends.

If Fahrenheit 451 was written after Harry Potter became popular then there would be at least 3 sequels right now. I don't hate the story, I hate the sequel culture that spawned from it for novels. I WANT ORIGINAL CONTENT.

Years
  • If Fahrenheit 451 was written after Harry Potter became popular then there would be at least 3 sequels right now. I don't hate the story, I hate the sequel culture that spawned from it for novels. I WANT ORIGINAL CONTENT.

Teen novels have always been the territory of sequels, though!

I mean, Animorphs was borderline in that genre, started at least 3 years before Harry Potter debuted Stateside, and ended up with 54 freaking books, as well as several side story series!

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • If Fahrenheit 451 was written after Harry Potter became popular then there would be at least 3 sequels right now. I don't hate the story, I hate the sequel culture that spawned from it for novels. I WANT ORIGINAL CONTENT.

See, I don't mind sequels if they are deserved. Harry Potter lent itself to sequels because the universe was rich with ideas (and still is). The same for A Song of Ice and Fire. That universe is rich with mythology and history. There's so much room to create and expand on the core concept.

I also value books that do not have sequels though because it's sort of like...you get to know this world or story and then that's it. It's sort of the reader's interpretations of what happens next if the story leaves it open.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years

The sequel culture was happening long before Harry Potter, but I don't even think of the subsequent HP books as sequels, just instalments in an overarching story.

I think if they're all planned from the beginning they're instalments, if they're thought of after the fact they're sequels.

Years
  • Pretty much yeah. I wanna see where she can go with an adult based Harry Potter series that has no restraints of school years, and maybe facing a bigger or same leveled evil like Voldemort. I always found it ridiculous that only one guy could abuse magic so much like he has, and no else fell to the temptation.

It's not touched upon too much in the films, but Dumbledore's childhood best friend/implied gay lover (was his name Grindlewald?) went after that much power but was stopped about 100 years before Harry's time.

Also, on the subject of no more Harry Potter: I kind of agree. Yes, it was an amazing book franchise and most of the films weren't too bad (I still cannot bring myself to liking the final one), but it's done. It's over. It's a rich world, aye, but by carrying on J.k Rowling would have to top Harry Potter, whilst keeping the books relatively family orientated. A lot of her fanbase are children and teenagers, so she can't make it too complicated or dark due to the children (Hell, Harry Potter arguably got a little too complicated towards the end of the series). Something tells me another series would be just yet another good vs evil series. That worked for Harry Potter, but would it work again in the same universe and have the same appeal?

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind a few one-shots from the universe. As stated before, the HP universe is rich, and there are a lot of things mentioned briefly in Harry Potter that can be picked up upon for, say, a 400 page story and then left alone again.

Shining Raichu

Years
  • It's not touched upon too much in the films, but Dumbledore's childhood best friend/implied gay lover (was his name Grindlewald?) went after that much power but was stopped about 100 years before Harry's time.

Also, on the subject of no more Harry Potter: I kind of agree. Yes, it was an amazing book franchise and most of the films weren't too bad (I still cannot bring myself to liking the final one), but it's done. It's over. It's a rich world, aye, but by carrying on J.k Rowling would have to top Harry Potter, whilst keeping the books relatively family orientated. A lot of her fanbase are children and teenagers, so she can't make it too complicated or dark due to the children (Hell, Harry Potter arguably got a little too complicated towards the end of the series). Something tells me another series would be just yet another good vs evil series. That worked for Harry Potter, but would it work again in the same universe and have the same appeal?

I don't agree at all - it wouldn't have to top the originals (and I suspect JK Rowling has the wisdom at her disposal to understand that in the eyes of most she never will anyway). I think that the world she created is so rich, detailed and immense that it would be a crime not to continue in some way. It would be a waste. It would be bad for the environment, really.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Harry Potter was insanely dark in the last two or three books imo. I quite liked the lighthearted fairytale tone in the first two books, but it was cool that the books matured as I grew up also. I was the same age as Harry when books 2-5 came out I think :3 Or 6 too, even, I don't quite remember their release dates.

If I was Rowling, I wouldn't be satisfied now. I'd year for more, ALWAYS MORE. But it might be wise to just let Harry Potter be a part of our cultural history as it is now.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I remember rumors floating around after the release of Deathly Hallows that Rowling was going to create a Harry Potter universe encyclopedia.

Shining Raichu

Years
  • Yeah, she sued other people who were trying to make one as well because she intended to, but I think that idea morphed into Pottermore

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • I've been to the studios by Watford a couple of times and both experiences were amazing. I even picked up a copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bard which is awesome.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • Anyone seeing Lucy? My friends mentioned it to me today and now I'm probably seeing it Friday. Not too stoked but I enjoy Scarlett Johansson, even though it's her typical role, so I have somewhat high expectations for it.

I'm seeing Boyhood tonight and I am hyped

How'd it go?

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I honestly can't wait to see Lucy. Not just because it has one of my favorite actresses Scarlett Johannson in it (<3) but because the plot of it really intrigues me; although I have to say, it seems a little bit of a ripoff of that 2011 movie Limitless with Bradley Cooper in it where he takes a pill to boost his IQ. Hopefully I'm wrong though, as I'd really like to see this movie be a hit.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I honestly can't wait to see Lucy. Not just because it has one of my favorite actresses Scarlett Johannson in it (<3) but because the plot of it really intrigues me; although I have to say, it seems a little bit of a ripoff of that 2011 movie Limitless with Bradley Cooper in it where he takes a pill to boost his IQ. Hopefully I'm wrong though, as I'd really like to see this movie be a hit.

My cousin was talking to me about that exact comparison earlier today and we both agreed. Though this seems more government-related rather than under the counter drugs, if I'm remembering Limitless right, and "I wanna destroy stuff rah" on the heroine's part than what the protagonist of Limitless used his newfound knowledge for.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • My cousin was talking to me about that exact comparison earlier today and we both agreed. Though this seems more government-related rather than under the counter drugs, if I'm remembering Limitless right, and "I wanna destroy stuff rah" on the heroine's part than what the protagonist of Limitless used his newfound knowledge for.
    Now that I think about it, after rewatching the trailer for the movie, I have absolutely no idea what the movie is about. I mean...yeah, the drugs spill out and she ends up gaining all these intellectual power ups, but then what? Essentially is it just the drug lords trying to get there dope back? Or is it more about Scarlett discovering herself and trying to find the meaning of everything that's happening around her?

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Someone summarise Lucy for me, I've not heard of it. :)

"A woman is accidentally caught in a dark deal, turns the tables on her captors and transforms into a merciless warrior evolved beyond human logic."

The one thing that bugs me about Lucy is the whole "we only use 10% of our brains" fallacy. There are actually people who (still) believe this to be true, I actually remember being taught this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back