• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Explosion in Tianjin

Years
    Huge blasts in Tianjin kill at least 17 and injure hundreds

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...city-tianjin?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_BaconReader

Spoiler:

Live Updates

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...ds-injured-killed-china-blasts-latest-updates

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    Watching some of the videos was crazy. It's unimaginable what those people felt when they saw that. Might've feared it was a nuclear bomb or terror attack. It was an absolutely huge blast. I'm sure we'll hear about more death in the coming days as they assess the site of the blast. :/

Very sad.

Castaigne

欠 を 食べる
    Years
    • Age 30
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 27, 2016
    In a lot of ways it actually looked like a nuclear bomb... When I first heard about this I thought it wasn't going to be as bad as what happened in Taiwan a couple months ago but it's way, way worse.

Apparently the company owning the factory has gone AWOL for a while, which I can't blame them for considering they're about to get punished and/or scapegoated for this.

Years
    That is some terrifying stuff and my thoughts really go out to the people affected by the accident.

I hope the death toll doesn't rise much higher, but I honestly find it hard to believe it is going to sit as low as 17. Has there been any word on what caused the explosion?

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    114 confirmed dead right now, with at least 70 people missing. I think most of the missing are firefighters as well :/

I'm still in shock over the sheer size of the blast. It looked like a meteor had hit or something.

Castaigne

欠 を 食べる
    Years
    • Age 30
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 27, 2016
    Anyway who's "missing" can safely assumed to be dead without visible human remains. Matching up DNA is going to be the best chance anyone can get to identifying a body.

Unfortunately it was sodium cyanide they were storing which explodes when exposed to water. Best guess I've heard right now is that firefighters responded to a smaller fire and weren't informed the nature of the chemicals being stored.

Years
    Someone's gonna get their ass handed to them after this is over, I'm sure. Apparently, the Communist Party is keeping media coverage of the explosion under control. But it still seems more open than coverage of disasters in the past.

Years
    Someone's gonna get their ass handed to them after this is over, I'm sure. Apparently, the Communist Party is keeping media coverage of the explosion under control. But it still seems more open than coverage of disasters in the past.
    I don't know how they could hope to keep news of something like this under control. Everyone in the city is going to have felt or saw or heard it. But yeah, someone's going to jail for certain. Probably several someones. I just hope this is an inexplicable accident and not a symptom of some more common lack of safety measures.

Years
    I don't know how they could hope to keep news of something like this under control. Everyone in the city is going to have felt or saw or heard it. But yeah, someone's going to jail for certain. Probably several someones. I just hope this is an inexplicable accident and not a symptom of some more common lack of safety measures.

Oh, they can. Damage control, directing the narrative, making sure that state media is the first to come out with everything worth saying. It's not too different from what famous people or corporations do in crisis management but being the state they get the extra benefit of exerting influence on the media as well as censoring reporter access (not sure if it actually happened, but it's not out of the question especially if they cited safety concerns which would be, all things considered, legitimate) as well as social media posts. It's not a media blackout, but the tone and public perception of the story can be controlled.

More likely than not, it'll be found that the explosion was caused by insufficient adherence to safety measures. A lot of tragedies happen in China that way and I have no reason to believe that the enforcement of safety regulations has changed significantly in the past few years.

Castaigne

欠 を 食べる
    Years
    • Age 30
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 27, 2016
    More likely than not, it'll be found that the explosion was caused by insufficient adherence to safety measures. A lot of tragedies happen in China that way and I have no reason to believe that the enforcement of safety regulations has changed significantly in the past few years.

Yeah I think that's a given at this point. I think they had either 10 or 100 times the safe limit of sodium cyanide, they didn't have proper labelling of chemicals, AND they were way too dang close to residential areas.

This is such a complete mess though:
    https://shanghaiist.com/2015/08/18/first_rainfall_since_tianjin_explos.php

Years
    Yeah I think that's a given at this point. I think they had either 10 or 100 times the safe limit of sodium cyanide, they didn't have proper labelling of chemicals, AND they were way too dang close to residential areas.

This is such a complete mess though:
    https://shanghaiist.com/2015/08/18/first_rainfall_since_tianjin_explos.php

Good god. Well, at least this will spur demonstrations and public support for further awareness, regulation, and reform concerning the environment, something that China desperately needs.

Come to think of it, I don't think the company is to blame for building the factory so close to residential areas. I believe zoning laws and their enforcement would be under the purview of the municipal government. And even if the factory had adhered to all regulations at the time of its construction, due to China's pace in development, the situation soon changed as the land surrounding the factory was developed for residential areas - but of course it would still be the municipal government's responsibility to exercise oversight over what gets built where.

Years
    Good god. Well, at least this will spur demonstrations and public support for further awareness, regulation, and reform concerning the environment, something that China desperately needs.

Come to think of it, I don't think the company is to blame for building the factory so close to residential areas. I believe zoning laws and their enforcement would be under the purview of the municipal government. And even if the factory had adhered to all regulations at the time of its construction, due to China's pace in development, the situation soon changed as the land surrounding the factory was developed for residential areas - but of course it would still be the municipal government's responsibility to exercise oversight over what gets built where.
    I heard on NPR today that, supposedly, an owner of the warehouse, who happens to be the son of the previous chief of police for the area, has made some kind of confession to bribing people to let him build his warehouse so close to residential areas, which shouldn't have been allowed for obvious reasons.

And, oh my god, that weird chemical foam rain.

Years
    I heard on NPR today that, supposedly, an owner of the warehouse, who happens to be the son of the previous chief of police for the area, has made some kind of confession to bribing people to let him build his warehouse so close to residential areas, which shouldn't have been allowed for obvious reasons.

And, oh my god, that weird chemical foam rain.

Ha. I guess that'll be a cautionary tale for any government official trying to take bribes in the future.

Whelp if there's corruption involved they're gonna make a big deal of it. If there's been mass death and destruction, somebody's probably gonna lose their head. I don't see how they could commute a death sentence for a crime so severe.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Xi Jinping's entire presidency has been a cautionary tale on taking bribes lol

Most Chinese are aware that is just move to take down those people who aren't seeing eye to eye with them. Communist in China has been split long ago, they only unite their powers when facing foreigners. {XD}

Back to the topic, local Chinese tabloids says the Chinese government are conducting experiments with living animals by placing them in parts of Tianjin to determine whether the lands are still suitable for living. Disgusting and inhuman.

Years
    I don't think it's that controversial to use animals to see whether those areas are safe for living and it certainly isn't disgusting or inhumane. What's the alternative? Send people back? Or just have those areas abandoned? Ultimately, you'd want to study the effects of a potentially hazardous environment on a model system because you could pick up on things you might miss out just by analyzing the presence of various chemicals.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Back to the topic, local Chinese tabloids says the Chinese government are conducting experiments with living animals by placing them in parts of Tianjin to determine whether the lands are still suitable for living. Disgusting and inhuman.

Disgusting and inhuman in what way? How is it any different from butchering farm animals for food? It's not like they can drop a robot model to determine environmental statistics and then make a conclusion from that. I doubt they're willing to develop such technology just to determine whether a place is still suitable for living when there's an easier, renewable "resource" nearby.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Disgusting and inhuman in what way? How is it any different from butchering farm animals for food? It's not like they can drop a robot model to determine environmental statistics and then make a conclusion from that. I doubt they're willing to develop such technology just to determine whether a place is still suitable for living when there's an easier, renewable "resource" nearby.

That is actually disgusting as well. But I'll not further elaborate on butchering farm animals and developing technology, since the thread is about Tianjin Explosion.

And according to their very own experts, they can actually drop a machine to determine the soil and air. {XD} They just don't wanna spend money for the explosion incident. ;)

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    And according to their very own experts, they can actually drop a machine to determine the soil and air. {XD} They just don't wanna spend money for the explosion incident. ;)

This is probably true (source?), but governments are stingy about what they want to spend on. As I've already said earlier, they're probably going to prefer the easier and renewable option nearby.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    This is probably true (source?), but governments are stingy about what they want to spend on. As I've already said earlier, they're probably going to prefer the easier and renewable option nearby.

Yep, since I live in the land that is called 'the pearl of the orient'. ;) It's easy for us to get the first hand Chinese news. {XD}

And yeah the government over there isn't only stingy! The donations for the poor souls of this explosion accident are gonna be 'taken' by the government, that happens a lot if the country's corrupt.

Back