• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Fairies

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    When Pokémon X and Y were first announced, fairy-type was rumored to debut. Few months later, it was officially confirmed, with them telling us that Sylveon would be among them--a new evolution for Eevee.

When you've heard of this news, what was your initial reaction? Like some people, have you had any feeling that they would be releasing a new type-group this generation? When you thought this, what were some ideas that had crossed your head? Now that we've all (maybe most) tried fairy-type Pokémon in-game, what are our overall thoughts on them? Is there anything that we would change?

Let's discuss!

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I love the Fairy type, particularly because it adds another option to handle fighting types as well as finally gives a good use to Steel and Poison type moves (because true, they did have their uses before, but neither seemed that worthwhile to have on your team until the fairy type came along)

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    My first reaction was "OH MY GOD NO WHY? THIS IS SO STUPID AND UNNECESSARY."

But now it's like in my top three favorite types, so it was just a matter of adjustment for me. I like how it adds a bit of balance to the metagame (giving Poison and Steel types the recognition they finally deserve while trumping Dragon-types) and it just adds a little bit of zest to everything. We haven't had a new type since Gen II, so it was nice to get something so fresh and unique added to the game.

Years
  • When the Fairy-type was first announced, my reaction was quite pleased. At first it was surprising but I found that it was really neat that we'd be getting another type for the first time in over a decade. I did not anticipate the idea at first, but when it came about it was quite good. It buffed some older types that weren't very good to use in battle, and it made some types that were way overpowered not as much. Dragon and Fighting-types were way too strong in the DS era, and some Dark-types were quite powerful as well, so the Fairy-type was a nice big screw you to them.

As for which Fairy-types I like, I think my favorite would be Azumarill. Considering how awful a Pokémon it was early in the franchise, and that it got more toys than ever in Generation VI, including being able to stand up to a type combination that was once feared big time (they's looking at you, Reshiram and White Kyurem), it just rules.

Years
  • Azumarill has to be my favorite Fairy type. When I first heard about it I thought it was a pretty great idea for dragons to have a 3rd weakness. From what I heard Hydreigon was a monster in the 5th gen.

Years
  • When I first heard about Fairy-type I was actually happy to see a new type because it opened up many new design opportunities for Pokemon, in fact I knew Sylveon's appearance didn't fit any of the other 17 types. It's also good how it silences several overpowered types while giving lesser used ones more attention, and I do love most of the Pokemon that were introduced with the type.

My fave of the new Fairy-types are Florges and its pre-evos, along with Xerneas and Sylveon. Of the older generation ones, the Marill and Ralts lines were definitely fun to use and I think they really did benefit from the Fairy typing.

Years
  • When I first heard I was like, wow this looks kinda cool, But when I got to play X and use Fairy types they quickly became my favorite type.

The ability for super effective against Dragons is in my opinion a positive game change.

Laylaw

"Smell ya later!" - Blue
    Years
  • Once it was revealed that Sylveon would be part of a new type, which was the Fairy-type. I was so relieved, because there had been speculations about which type Sylveon would be. And so many people said it was going to be Flying type. And if Sylveon was a flying type, then that could have been made so much better. So that was nice at least.

I like the fairy type overall. I also like how they got more Pokémon added into the group like Clefairy, Togepi and such. Even though I don't really get why Granbull is a fairy type.

I didn't expect the fairy type, I thought something like the "Light"-type would come. That would probably counter Dark or something.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I was neutral towards the Fairy type when it was first revealed but once it came to play, it became my least favourite type. It's mostly because my top two favourite Pokémon are now x4 weak to this new type which disappointed me greatly. Not too mention I find most of the Fairy types ugly.

Dark Phantom Samurai

Finesse & Perfection
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    Didn't like it when i saw it and I still Don't like them, as a type. Some of the Pokemon in it are good. But as a type I despise it, solely because they are effective against dark types. I can understand why most people would think that is okay, but to me Dark types should dominate this Fairy type. And i always find it strange how there only weaknesses are the two most uncommon types used offensively, and how they're attacks are effective against three of the most common types. Fairy type is dead to my soul.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    And i always find it strange how there only weaknesses are the two most uncommon types used offensively, and how they're attacks are effective against three of the most common types. Fairy type is dead to my soul.
    They most likely made Fairy weak to Steel and Poison because those types were pretty much useless offensively in the past, so they gave them a boost. They made Fairy good against Dragon because Dragons were considered to be a bit overpowered in the past (which is debatable). Not sure why its good against Fighting and Dark, but whatcha gonna do? I just don't get why Fairy resists Bug. Why does seemingly everything have to resist Bug?

babaGAReeb

Banned
    Years
  • They most likely made Fairy weak to Steel and Poison because those types were pretty much useless offensively in the past, so they gave them a boost. They made Fairy good against Dragon because Dragons were considered to be a bit overpowered in the past (which is debatable). Not sure why its good against Fighting and Dark, but whatcha gonna do? I just don't get why Fairy resists Bug. Why does seemingly everything have to resist Bug?

bug am needed nerf too, they am strong against psychic the type of the strongest and best pokemon mewtwo

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    bug am needed nerf too, they am strong against psychic the type of the strongest and best pokemon mewtwo

Can't most psychic types learn fire type moves? Why would bug need a check when there's already so many common moves that are either Fire, Flying or Rock type? Mewtwo itself can learn Fire type moves.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    At first, I personally thought all of it were mere speculation, and nothing more. To me, it seemed quite unlikely for them to introduce any new type at a random time like this, considering that they haven't done anything like it within the past four to six years. When they finally announced it, though, it was sort of a shocker for me.

Do I like fairy-type? Of course. It's new, and gives us a whole new way to think, strategize, and play competitively. I was getting sort of bored of our (mostly) old formula, and having some change like that was indeed a nice breath of fresh air. As far as Pokémon themselves go, I've always been a major fan of Togekiss, and still am. Alongside, another of my favorite fairy-type is Sylveon.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Before I got the game I was quite skeptical of the new Fairy type. I was sort of thinking, "Why did they add a new type? Everything was fine the way that it was!". However, this was back when I hardly knew what was supereffective against what beyond the basic 'Fire beats Ice, Steel, Grass and Bug, Water beats Fire, Ground etc.', so I didn't know anything about how it balanced the game. Now, though, I think it's a great addition to help balance out Dragons while only being weak to two very uncommon types which have seen much more usage overall since.

Haggerella

Captain Butts
    Years
  • Me when the Fairy type was announced: Oh weird. Wow. Ok. That kind of makes sense? I mean. Clefairy. And stuff. Yeah. Cool.

Me when Fairy > Dragon was announced: Well that's ........... completely terrible ... I mean ... i guess if you look at it in a magic vs brawn kind of way, maybe? But uh, okay I guess. I feel like this is gonna suck.

Me when playing the game: I......yeah. Nope. Fairy type is the most OP ridiculous crap ever. What is the point of Dragonite if it can lose to an ant on a flower.

Me after I finished it: ... there is literally no fairy-type except Gardevoir that I might want on my team and I have enough mega-evolving peeps as it is. Ughtoinfinityandbeyond.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I was very excited when I heard about the new Fairy type, to be honest. That's mostly because I had been clamoring for a new type for some time by then.

And I have to say, I'm not disappointed with the new addition. I mean, sure, I do somewhat share peoples' concerns about Dragon being nerfed. However, Dragon is a type that, before, was resistant to several commonly-used attacking types – Fire, Water, Grass, and Electric – while only being resisted by Steel, and only weak to one other type than itself: Ice. Before, in order to come up against Dragons, you either had to have an Ice-type or another Dragon-type on your team. Fairy type just gives you a bit more leeway.

So, while I would like to see Dragon deal 2X damage to another type other than itself, Fairy type doesn't diminish its other capabilities. Dragon types are still the best overall statistically, with wide move pools.

All in all, though, I thought and still think that the introduction of the Fairy type wasn't just a neat gimmick, but a necessity for the Pokémon franchise. If the basic premise of Pokémon is to endure, what with the same basic formula every generation (8 gyms, Elite Four, etc.), there needs to be something new every so often to spice it up. For example, new types for new gyms, which is why Fairy was introduced and why they will probably introduce more new types at some point down the road.

What is the point of Dragonite if it can lose to an ant on a flower.

Your Dragonite should be more worried about a well-placed Ice Beam from any reasonably strong Water or Ice type than it should be about any of the current Fairy types. Honestly, I don't know why there are so many Dragon/Flying types, when its so easy to knock them out with Ice-type attacks.

Even though I don't really get why Granbull is a fairy type.

Its species name is the "Fairy Pokémon."

Last edited by a moderator:
    Back