• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    Have you ever had Writer's Block, and, if so, what did you do to overcome it?

I read through the scene just before the part I am having trouble with. I then then run it in my brain like a movie. I usually try different scenarios before I come up with a good one.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years

Like SupahFunk, just write down everything that comes to mind, usually I can find a keeper and many other unique events my fic.

As a writer, would you prefer to exceed your own limitations, or stay within them?

My answer to this question is... Would you prefer to stay inside the box, or explore outside? Exactly, I definitely push further and try to best my limitations.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Haha, yeah I wanted to post before, but then I got very confused with all the references of onions and Rick Astley. XD

There's no better combination than onions and Rick Astley. For serious.

As for the title...I'll probably stick to Hounds of Goldenrod. Speaking of that fic, I"m actually almost done with it. ^^ Trying to finish it as much as possible before realitives come tomrrow. :X

Sure. Can't wait to see it. ^_^ And it is a good title.

Are you implying that the British have no Fourth of July? Because they do. It's inbetween July 3rd and 5th.

Absolutely. You British are clearly trapped in a temporal paradox.

Hiiiii, kiddies! Guess who's back from the mean ol' military for good? =D

How many times was this? XD In any case, welcome back, Alter Ego. =3

And now, for the questions.

When it comes to reality in fanfics, such as attitude, are your characters ever too blunt with any other characters?

*motions to Viola, who has called characters cowards, puppets, and egotistical *****es because she was being honest*

Other than that, a number of my characters and the canon characters I write about tend to be blunt because I have a strange liking for socially awkward characters. The kind who are honest but don't always comprehend that certain situations require white lying. This is mostly because it's a lot of fun to write about a character who doesn't understand society.

If all the fictional characters you had ever created were on the verge of being erased from existence, and you could only save one; which character would it be and why?

Oddly enough, I'd probably go with Rose, if she counts. (She's based on the little girl who gives out Bill's phone number in the GSC arc, but I count her as an original because I've essentially had to completely create her character, given the fact that canon practically only says Bill has a little sister.) Mostly, it's because she's cute. She's quiet, she's a crybaby (if Bill or any other member of her family wasn't around to comfort her), she's a little whiny and clingy if she's allowed to speak more than a few words, and she can't battle worth crap. But somehow, I just find her to be adorable. Maybe it's because she's also incredibly innocent.

Also, she's fic bait. I mean, she's like a mini damsel-in-distress. Yes, that sounds sick, but having her around makes it easier to write Bill fic that isn't (necessarily) about Bill getting raped by fate. Again.

If she doesn't count (because on a very strict definition of "canon character," she is one), I'd probably go for Feste, one of the latest characters I've created for Midsummer Knights. The reason why is because he's a lot like Cesario, only a little less homicidal. Like the lovable tramp. And hilarious when drunk. Which is frequently.

But yeah, I like all of my characters for one reason or another, so it's hard to say that I'd absolutely go with one over the other and never miss the ones that just suddenly disappeared (unless I also had a memory alteration or something). Although Viola tends to be annoying at times because she's so emo.

Now and then. All I do is leave the work alone for awhile, play with ideas, write a few notes down, and overall work on something else for the time being. I don't like to force myself because it almost always shows with the scene coming off as contrived. As in, my work sucks more if I try to push myself into coming up with something.

As a writer, would you prefer to exceed your own limitations, or stay within them?

If I didn't at least try to exceed my own limitations, I wouldn't have written a number of fics I've already written. I know that sounds incredibly stupid and cliche, but it's like this. I'm not very confident as a person. All those times I say that a fic sucks, I'm being honest about what I think I can do. I don't go overboard and try to pull off some godly work of art, of course, but I always try to do something new with every fic I write. For example, I didn't try to write death scenes in detail (or at all) until I decided to try testing my limits with Midsummer Knights. I've tried and failed at using flashbacks until I tried again with Bloom. I even dared to write a sex scene recently, just to see if I could do it. (Failed, apparently, at the biological logistics, according to a friend of mine, but at least I tried.)

And you know what? That's why I like writing so much. I actually like daring to write all those things, just to see how far I can take it. Even though I'd never admit that any of the resulting attempts are incredible compared to the work of someone who's been doing it for years, of course.

Last edited:

Ageless Irony

MANIC SPAMMER
    Years
    Oh yeah. I'll go months and months without being able to write a darn thing. I'd usually just wait until something came to mind. Usually through a real-world experience that spurs from some random moment in my life.
    Otherwise I'll just go on daydreaming about a scene I want to write, doing it over and over again until I think of something I like. But usually if I do that, I just put stress on myself to think of something and it only gets worse, so I usually just relax with it...

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    If you're actually going to give people the information on how wolves live, then I would advice against that. It might be better if you do the research on the animals that you are writing about so that you have that realism in your story. Otherwise, unless the reader really is interested in the lives of wolves/snowy owls, then they might be bored reading descriptions of wolves when they want to read about the actual wolf.

Golden Riolu

Finally Back
    Years
    If all the fictional characters you had ever created were on the verge of being erased from existence, and you could only save one; which character would it be and why?

There's only one I could say. Eruri, my Kirlia/Gallade, my favourite character and the best I have ever created. I could say much more but I won't.

I always have writer's block. I just reread what I've written and hope that I get some more inspiration.

Of course, I want to improve as much as I can. I love to improve and see how much better I've become. I can look back on the earlier chapters of my fic and see how I wrote only six months ago, and then I have to rewrite because they look so bad.

~Golden

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
    I'm gone for a week, people go nuts, Dark Latiku attempts a rebellion, AND we distribute videotapes of the famous lounge orgy?

I need to stop taking missions trips to places without internet access. 0.o

All of them. They're part of a pancharacteristic deity called the These-Brainchild, which exists in thirteen paralell dimensions. I don't care how many Noise your fanfic-hating Reapers summon, they ain't touchin' my characters. Not to mention, I'm pretty handy with a Psychokinesis pin myself. *growls*

In all seriousness, probably a future character slated to appear in Thief in the Night, for reasons that I cannot explain without spoiler-dropping.

Have you ever had Writer's Block and, if so, how did you overcome it?

Yes, but I never overcame it. Which is why I still need to draft chapter three of Thief.

What limitations? *shot'ed*

In all seriousness, I'd rather exceed my limitations by an infinite amount. Otherwise, I would never be able to mature as an author, and I'd still be writing fanfics in chatspeak.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    BeachBoy, you were intersted in this orgy after I want my sig to be check, huh? :P

I came into this thread at the wrong time. Myep. *leaves*

... *Comes back to answer topics*

I would probably die trying to save all of them. Which would be fairly counter-productive...I could just re-write them if they got erased, but no: I just had to die. *Goes into a spiral of self-loathing until he hits the floor and is jarred back into a fragile state of sanity*

Have you ever had Writer's Block and, if so, how did you overcome it?

If I ever type up a page of cut-paste responses, this will be on it. I listen to music, sleep, take a shower, watch inspiring things, do things I like, and break out of my routines, for starters. If these things fail, I force myself; this usually hurts, but it works.

The Eon Chronicles are a case-in-point: the story is like a timeline of my writing skills developing. So yes: I try to outdo myself with every chapter.

On a side note: Burnt Flower...your images disturb even me. I can't imagine what the young children coming here think.

Last edited:

Burnt Flower

Horror Mistress
    Years

Is there anyone who wouldn't want to exceed their limitations? I certainly would. =P

Duncan McNeil

[release].your.grip
    Years

I rarely have writer's block, to be honest. It's more of...lacking the motivation to start on it, really. Which explains why lately I've written: a chapter, a failed one-shot, a chapter, and a (fun) one-shot. I always have some idea about a new fic or something, so when I don't feel like writing a new chapter, but still writing...

I never want to exceed my limitations, but I do want to increase them as often as I can. I cringe at what I thought was great six months ago. Many people were kind and said it was good, but it was mediocre at best. Only recently have I broken into what I think is decent writing.

The way I try to improve is to take a specific chapter, let's say a dramatic, imagery-driven one. I'll spend that chapter working to improve my description and imagery. I'll keep on like that every chapter, really. It's certainly worked for me.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    Come to take over another FFL, huh Astinus? Anyways, like Asty said, unless your writing a Wikipedia entry, you should probably leave the over explanatory stuff out. But if you do want to go over some important facts, try to make them interesting. Like how I heard about some wolves always travels in packs and if one wolf prefers to do things on its own, it'll get killed. Don't just say it like that, actually have a scene of a lone wolf getting attacked by its brethren.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023

What type of writer's block? If it's the one where you don't know what to do next, then I eventually thing of some. If it's the one where you get too lazy to write, then this has only happened once, but I just waited and it eventually went away.

Being the competitive person I am, I always want to get better. I don't REALLY care too much about exceeding expectations, though.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Before I leave to go on my vacation, I would like to say this.

Joe: BE CRAZY IN HERE.

And that concludes me. I'll be back Tuesday, chilluns. (And momma)

Strangest scene you ever wrote?

What have I written that's not strange? -.-

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Before I leave to go on my vacation, I would like to say this.

Joe: BE CRAZY IN HERE.

And that concludes me. I'll be back Tuesday, chilluns. (And momma)

*hugs* Have fun! Bring back pictures (of you in a bikini)!

And don't worry. We'll find some way to top ourselves while we're gone. ("I'm sure Astinus won't mind if I use this staple gun to hang these ropes from the ceiling like so...")

Well, there was that one scene in a one-shot where Bill nearly ODed on datura (which in itself has a lengthy explanation to it) and hallucinated that he got raped by a friend's OC while flaming demon Sentret crawled around. And her hands caught on fire. While she was raping him. So did the sky, for that matter.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years

Hmm... I'd have to say in P:SN, when Lucius woke up to find Nurse Joy staring down at him with bulging eyes.

Ageless Irony

MANIC SPAMMER
    Years
    A scene in Fast Times where Daisy sees Green and Blue flirting, and tells him "No glove, no love." then gives the boy a condom.
    ...Yeeeeah
    I'm weird.

Bay

Years

It's probably from Chapter Fourteen of "Nothing, Everything," in which Bunny accidently fell down on Jacob, but then Jenny joke how she was very promiscious. XD

txteclipse

The Last
    Years

I have a few...one was when my main characters got into a food fight outside in the snow with berry preserves. My most recent one was when Latias in the E.C. almost drowned herself using her sight-sharing technique.

Burnt Flower

Horror Mistress
    Years

Probably the strangest would be the end of my one-shot A Life's Worth where a little girl believes the corpse of a Zigzagoon is really her mother who came back to life.

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
    Years
    Actually, that's what I meant. Describing and involving several scenes in my story that could actually happen in real life. And, to go with it, a lot of fiction that doesn't contradict it too much. I don't like reading or writing factual reports all that much, but I hesitate at making up false wolven habits and what-not.

What I mean is: How much real-lifism can I incorporate into fictional scenes before it becomes too factual?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back