• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
WOo so theme changed (if anyone noticed) Thanks to Bay's skills. XD

Also I managed to write a couple sentences more for my fic, I might do some more now if I feel up to it.

And bold topic:

What excessive amount of something do you dislike reading in a fic, and perhaps even are guilty of? (Like too much detail, dialogue etc)

Bay

Years
/Motivation. Go Bay go! Try to get something up before Transformers 3(hopefully by Michael Bay) comes out. XD
Will try, then. However, will be busy with Transformers 3. Needs more robot fights and explosions.XD;

WOo so theme changed (if anyone noticed) Thanks to Bay's skills. XD

Also I managed to write a couple sentences more for my fic, I might do some more now if I feel up to it.)
Again, you're welcome. I still have a long way to go in graphic skills, though. XD; Also, good luck in writing more of your fic! Go go go! :3

What excessive amount of something do you dislike reading in a fic, and perhaps even are guilty of?
Too much detail. When I read a fic, the action and emotions have to be quick and effective so that the story doesn't slow down.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
What excessive amount of something do you dislike reading in a fic, and perhaps even are guilty of?
Too much detail, though I am most certainly guilty of it. Bay has mentioned on numerous occasions that telling the rate my character Lisa got at the local Quality Inn, or what she ordered at the Denny's across the street, or which one of her uber-kawaii outfits she's got on today is a bit too much...

I also don't like excessive magic usage and fantasy elements, but that's another topic for another time.

walasaka

Dark-type Trainer
Years

I often find myself skipping ultra-long battles (say a six vs six), maybe skimming to see which Pokemon won against which and whether they evolved. As a result, even though I have some long battles myself, I usually make my battles short - and people tend to not really like that.

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
I'm not really the nitpicky type of person, but if there's any scene in a story that simply bores me to death, I'll skim though it until the last few lines or so :P In long battles, I tend to do the same thing, unless it's very important to the plot of the story.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
I don't like it when writers try to stuff too many plot twists and paranoid assumptions of one character into any scene. In Isaac Asimov's Prelude to Foundation, I was really annoyed to listen to Hari Seldon's increasing paranoia on the Surface. Although, I attribute some of it to Hummin. XD
I still love the series It's just that part.

Also, new bold topic. XD

Out of the 16 personality types indicated by the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, which type would any of your characters most likely be?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Out of the 16 personality types indicated by the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, which type would any of your characters most likely be?
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say ISTJ for Lisa. She uses logic to make her decisions, relies on facts to make judgments on issues, and usually sees things through to completion, keeping in line with her interest in science and mathematics.

Mika

もえじゃないも
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 11, 2013

Um... To be honest, I hate it when people excuse absolutely everything grammatically incorrect they write in a particular piece of work by claiming it is there freedom as a writer to make these particular mistakes. In my opinion, refusing to find ways to improve is the real sin here u_u; I'm not saying accept criticism from everyone over everything but if you're given an example with evidence to back up why the particular example is wrong, admit defeat, fix it and move on. u-u;

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
I think the question is more about things you hate seeing in fiction, Mika, rather than things you hate about some writer's personalities. But I agree with you... That is an annoying tendency.

I suppose what I hate seeing the most when reading is sudden over-description. I'm fine with description sprinkled throughout a work, or if it happens fairly-regularly, but when a writer completely ignores how everything looks, then all of a sudden spends two pages describing a room, I get annoyed. I get to expecting the writer to not be a prose-author, so when they try I just don't buy it.

Last edited:

Denali

C++ Programmer
Years
I would have to say spelling errors and confusing sentences. The two together make the fic dawdle all over the place, ignoring the central plot.

Mika

もえじゃないも
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 11, 2013
eeek Red's right so I'll start again.

Using really weird fail words that just don't work period when you're reading through ze fanfic or other work of fiction. My person fail word is 'seemingly'. I have proof I over use it [the poor baby word ;;] and it just sorta slips its way into my writing. Then again, when I read stuff like that it drives me absolutely crazy because it's like 'ewww when did that get there and WHY is it there?' and then I get distracted because I'm fixated on that one little bugger that's just...well... wrong. o_o

and a new question :D *didn't see any other new ones soo hopes she's doing this right* Slap me if I'm doing this wrong. ;;

Is it hard or relatively easy for you to receive a critical review of your work? What can make it difficult to read or accept a review and what can make it easier?

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
*didn't see any other new ones soo hopes she's doing this right* Slap me if I'm doing this wrong. ;;
*cough*
*cough*
Tl;dr my post? XD

Anyway...
Is it hard or relatively easy for you to receive a critical review of your work? What can make it difficult to read or accept a review and what can make it easier?I can receive reviews but I don't like it when people question my logic because sometimes, I use that to advance further in the plot. I find it easier to accept reviews when the person who's reviewing uses casual language. XD

Mika

もえじゃないも
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 11, 2013
Stupid question, what's the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator? I know next to nothing about that sort of psychobabble so I read this wiki page and my eyes glazed over. Is it sorta like a marysue machine or am I thinking the wrong way on this?

AND I'M REALLY SORRY I SERIOUSLY DIDN'T LOOK AT IT ;;

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Stupid question, what's the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator? I know next to nothing about that sort of psychobabble so I read this wiki page and my eyes glazed over. Is it sorta like a marysue machine or am I thinking the wrong way on this?

AND I'M REALLY SORRY I SERIOUSLY DIDN'T LOOK AT IT ;;
It's a psychometric questionnaire used to determine how people think and make decisions.

Here's an easier page that explains it, and also shows how to achieve the results for you or your characters.

Bay

Years
Some types sound the same. D:

Jacob: INFJ. He's an archelogist, so of course he'll seek meanings to material possession (ancient ones of course :P). Also, he's very firm in his beliefs.

Bunny: ENTJ. She can look through mistakes quickly and she likes to plan out things.

Jenny: ESTP. Jenny is the kind of person that acts not thinks. Also her actions are unpredictable sometimes.

Is it hard or relatively easy for you to receive a critical review of your work? What can make it difficult to read or accept a review and what can make it easier?

I can accept criticism easily if I know I still have to work on something, like grammar. What makes it difficult for me to accept a review is the language of the review. If the reviewer is being snarky and rude, I probably would actually be devastated about it, like for instance a couple of times I got harsh reviews in the one shot contests at Serebii. What makes me accept a review is the reviewer using a more firm tone instead of cutting to the chase, per say.

SkyBlue

I'm in love...with Ash!
Years
I've written some on FF.net. One is called Coffeehouse. It's a series of fics focusing on various characters out of chapters, episodes, fics...yes, it's set in limbo.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
More Index

Usual Announcement!

The Fanfiction Lounge's Bold Topics Index has been updated. Important design changes have been made.

To begin with, CHARLIMIT has forced me to split the "normal" Bold Topics index in half and put each part in one separate post, thus forcing the Insanity and Announcement Indexes further down the thread. To ease any possible inconvenience, TOC and navigation links are now spread all over the place. :classic:

There are some minor additions such as some lampshading on Lounge behaviours, two or three topics that evaded me last time (such as Misheard Whisper's Corn Maze Challenge), a new tag to search for "write this for me" kind of posts, and links to pretty much all of the emotional response to Citrinin's return.

For the next release, most likely to celebrate the end of the year, upcoming additions will include: new tags to search for canon/fanon discussions, references to external dictionaries/research sites, and character discussion; an index of the Top 5 Bold Topic Contributors, and one or other surprise if I have the time.

Enjoy
:shocked:​

I'll be answering more bold topics later.

Also, S'up, guys?

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Bay, Sol, MNZ, and EOLS are in a field. Pick a direction.

Solovino, you rock hardcore. It's great to just go back through that and relive all the hilarity this place has provided.

And if you'll notice, I am trying to revitalize the Title RP. Abbreviation helps keep it short enough to fit, y'all.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Feign joins the party, and suddenly sees a dragon to the east, he pulls out his bow

Thank you very much indeed Sol. XD ;)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
"Let us proceed north. Man, I wish I had my Buick LeSabre with me..."

Thanks for the update, Sol! Your hard work is appreciated, especially when I want to relive the events of the FFL Musical :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back