• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite game of all time

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
  • I would say Horizon Zero Dawn.
    I am also happy with their DLC, they nerfed the good weapons in it to a point but not to the state of making them pointless-- I love Aloy, I love the graphic, and I am glad I decided to get a PS4 to play it and now I had so many more games options, yet HZD remained my top favourite game.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2018
    Definitely hard to pick just one.

But if I had to, I would say Dragon Quest VII. So deep, such a huge world, and it was well ahead of its time (in terms of gameplay) when it originally released on the PS1.

Dragon Quest VIII is a strong second.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Best game of all time for me will probably always be Little Big Adventure 2. The characters were amazingly fun, the graphics were awe inspiring for 1995 or when it was, the music was memorable af, the gameplay was addictive and intuitive, and the plot and storytelling was out of this world (even though the twist was too classic and boring). If you've never heard of it, it is basically an open world ish-platformer/adventure game but linear, featuring a story on another planet(s) where the hero from the first game is called upon again and becomes targeted by alien invaders without explanation and needs to journey through deserts, climb through sewers, the floor is lava, the floor is gas, laser gun, golden sword, magic BALL, there's a moonbase, and you finally graduate wizard school and get a beard. And your wife is pregnant. Best game ever.

But Age of Empires II: Conquerors Expansion is up there too, along with Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 & 2. It's hard to find more enjoyable and time consuming games, and these really made my childhood golden.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    Ooh, hard to pick just one. I've mentioned before but I'm not huge on sentimentality, so my favorites change all the time and "classics" never make my list because I find newer and innovative games so much more interesting, and these change all the time. In (relatively) recent years, I'd have to say Undertale is one that I just found so unique it really stuck with me these past 2-3 years despite how short it is.

It's gotten a pretty bad rap over time because of the fanbase, but ignoring that I thought it's a super well done, clever and touching game, with an awesome soundtrack (that I still listen to on Spotify) and a great story.

Undertale is incredible! It's actually my #2!

Years
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is my favorite game of all-time, no questions asked. It's one of the very first video games that I ever played, yet I still have as much fun playing it as I did 5, 10, or even 20 years ago. Something about the combination of great music, visually appealing level design, and the speedy platforming got me hooked from the beginning, and it's a formula that worked so well (which is why we see a game like Sonic Mania being such a hit more than 25 years after the series debuted).

Pokemon Emerald, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and NHL 96 would round out my top 4, with a bunch of PS1/2 games fighting out for the 5th spot, depending on my mood.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Undertale and skyrim are both in my top 10, but I kinda played undertale more then I should have and got bored of it, and creation club kinda ruined skyrim a bit for me :( Still great games though.

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    A tuff question, I haven't played a whole lot of games. Pokémon gave me a looooooot of memories, and it's simply an awesome game with very nice colourful characters.

So, also for nostalgia reasons, and the fact that it has been a thing for me the whole life, I'd place pokemon as my top game.

Otherwise it's Bloodborne, it's a game like no other, and together with Dark Souls, they taught me a lot. Everything in those games is just soooo detailed, and the fighting system is simple, yet effective. 10/10

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I had to think really hard about this question, and although it was hard, the best I could do was to pick 4 games that were the absolute most memorable to me and were constantly fun no matter how many times I played them.

1. SOMA
    SOMA is a game I only played once all the way through but I might eventually go back and replay it. This game tells one of the single greatest science fiction stories I have ever seen in my entire life.
    I love reading, and I have read many fantastic Science Fiction novels. One of the greatest science fiction novels I have ever read in my life is a novel titled, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", by Phillip K. Dick, some people may know this story better from it's famous movie counterpart, "Blade Runner". I bring this book up because the amazingly well told story of SOMA is a complete re-imagining of this fantastic novel. SOMA is a an emotional roller coaster of a story that will entertain you, frighten you, bring you to tears, and will make you question your existence and what it means to truly be "alive".
    The characters in this game are incredibly deep and complex and you grow to care about all of them. The overall premise of the game is a fantastically well told Tragedy. This game made me cry hard. I can't think of a single game that has ever made me cry so hard, except for SOMA.
    I encourage anyone and everyone to play SOMA. It completely changed a lot of personal philosophical views I have on what it means to be alive. The game itself is well put together, fun to play, has beautiful and immersive graphics, and is suspenseful and frequently terrifying to play (it is a horror game). I easily consider it to be one of the single greatest games ever made.

2. Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion
    Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion was the first Elder Scrolls game I had ever played and I have probably more memories playing this single game than most other games I have enjoyed heavily throughout the years. It was one of the first games I had bought when I got a Play Station 3 and I have probably replayed this game with new characters more than any other game I have ever owned.
    Cyrodill is a beautiful, vibrant, and colorful land to play in that just feels humongous with many places to discover, explore, and do whatever you want in. The main plot of the game is a pretty interesting story and although it's not the best story ever told, it's still entertaining and fun to follow along with. The whole game is a deep sand box where you can choose how you want to play with a hand full of different factions that all have pretty fascinating stories. The game is easy to immerse yourself into and it's even fun to sometimes do some role playing in, which is something I frequently have done while playing this game.
    I have many good and bad memories of playing this game as well as I have some great memories of doing some outrageous stunts and kills while playing Oblivion. I've built characters in this game that I enjoyed playing so much that I even wrote fan fiction about them based on their adventures in this game.
    I can definitely say this game has a special place in my memories and even now I still consider it an amazing game worth playing, last time I played Oblivion was about half a year ago and it's still just as fun as the first day I ever played it.

3. Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced is another game that I have spent years of my life playing. I played this game obsessively on the Game Boy Advanced as well as I have replayed the entire game twice on two different smart phones using an Emulator.
    This game is so amazingly well put together in so many different ways it frequently blows my mind every time I play it. The battling mechanics are very well done, every single action in the game is affected by a large range of different factors. The units being affected by the action, the terrain where the action is occurring, the various stats and bonuses of the character you are using, the level of the characters, the particular job class of each character, the items any individual character may have equipped.
    It's altogether a well thought out battle tactics game with multiple different races, a large variety of classes, a huge diverse collection of weapons and armor of various different rarities.
    It's very fun to run your clan, do various types of quests and battles, and just trying to be completion in this game is very time consuming and incredibly fun and addictive.
    The characters are relatively well written and the story has quite a few interesting plot twists in it that will in fact surprise any new player. I heavily recommend this game, and encourage people to try playing it on their phone, it's a great time waster that is easy to step in and out of, if this game were updated as a phone game, I really think it would be incredibly successful.

4. Final Fantasy 12
    Final Fantasy 12 has all of the complex game play and tactics that can be found in Final Fantasy Tactics, but re-imagined in a beautiful and large environment with live action real time combat. The large variety of magic, weapons, armor, and techniques that can be discovered throughout the game compliments the exclusion of actual classes within the game. There are only 6 playable characters, but all of them are extremely important as major characters within the story line, all of them can learn all of the magic, techniques, armor and weapons within the game with complete customization, and you can freely build any of the characters to fit any specific battle style of your choice.
    You can personally program all 6 of the playable characters AI to operate in specific ways to properly react to any kind of situation while in combat. Plus you can freely control any number of the 6 characters while in combat or choose to run all of them on the AI that you set in the game. All of this plus the surprising intelligence of the AI of these characters.
    It all comes down to the deep and smooth customization of everything within this game you can have as much or as little control of everything within the combat of the game, that makes this game so amazing to play.
    Tons of side quests, Rare monsters to hunt, Powerful items and weapons to seek, complex boss fights, amazing summoned creatures that also have pretty impressive AI. All of this packed into a single game!
    Plus, one of the most complex and well told Final Fantasy Stories I have ever seen filled with conspiracies, betrayal, mystery, and many twists and turns. All six of the characters have extremely important roles to play in the story and all of them are incredibly fascinating with deep histories and unique personalities.
    The world that this game takes place in is absolutely beautiful, and despite that it is designed in a dungeon delving sectioned map style, all of the maps pieced together make the entire world of the game humongous and there are many optional maps that are not on route of most of your destinations but they hide lots of secrets and/or side quests.
    Final Fantasy 12 is just one of the single greatest Final Fantasy games I have ever played, and since I last played it for the third time back 2014, I still think it holds up as a great game even to today's standards.

I would say all four of those games are tied in my head as the greatest games I have ever played in my life, and all of them are fantastic in my mind for completely different reasons.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2018
    5. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    4. Super Mario 64
    3. Pokemon Black and White
    2. Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
    1. Persona 5

TTYD is so amazing! But was recently dethroned as my favorite game upon playing the masterpiece that is Persona 5. I seriously purchased a PS4 just to play it! (well, I now use the system for other games as well)

Persona 5 has a beautiful art style, amazing characters/villains, immersive story, and challenging gameplay.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
  • No contest, Dark Souls I. Nothing has ever matched up to that feeling of reward upon beating a boss for the first time. Or Havel, for that matter.

Vigilance

Re-diddly-dacted
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2019
    I know everyone hates EA but FIFA wins it for me. Nothing like a good sports game.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Grandia! Very classic but such a good game. I adore the whole series but the first game especially was just amazing. The story was enthralling and the gameplay was simple yet very fun with a very rewarding character leveling system and overall a really great sense of a achievement for even the smallest battles that you win. The game was so long that it had to span over two separate discs (for the PSX) and yet it never felt like it dragged at all.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Even after being attached to the Bravely series, Xenoblade Chronicles (no, I'm talking about the first game, not the one everyone's so riled up about) is my favorite game of all time. The music, the environment, the gameplay, the characters, the story, the voice acting... Everything's just perfect.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
    Years
  • Probably Super Smash Brothers Melee xD I used to play that game literally all the time as an older teenager.

And it's just fun to smash some brothers lol

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Not a concrete list, gonna list a few on the top of my head that I've played and loved, not in order, cause I'm lazy. Don't really have an absolute and I don't play games much anymore so these are off from memories from years ago.

SOMA, definitely one of the best game stories of all time, gonna replay. The characters are fantastic/memorable and voice actors were good, the narrative is well crafted and makes you question existence and think about things, the setting and atmosphere is isolated and lonely and fits well with the story they're telling. Humanity is gone and all its legacy /remnants and hopes and dreams are hundreds and thousands of feet below the surface of the ocean. This game definitely got way less attention and popularity than it deserved. I guess it wasn't popular as Amnesia because talentless hacks on YouTube couldn't use it as an another cash cow.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent, which I think is still is scariest game of all time. I know the game well now and even playing again I still get a little creeped out. Before youtube degraded it and used it as a cash cow fad, it was and still is a scary and good game. The only pro I can see from it becoming more well known due to annoying fake out reaction vides, is that Frictional gets more attention and more people buy their games hopefully which means Frictional will make an another quality scary horror game that will scare the crap out of me. SOMA was a good game, but it's a different type of horror with heavy narrative than the pure horror Amnesia was. The successor Amnesia game by The Chinese Room, A Machine for Pigs was good but wasn't scary, had a good narrative though. They shouldn't shouldn't have gotten rid of the fun physics interaction and the inventory.

Twilight Princess, this game was super fun playing and I just loved it, I got the Wii version though in 2006 but the game is still the same nonetheless. The characters were lovable and memorable, like Midna and the dungeons and items and atmosphere surpassed some of the other games for me. I liked the graphics at the time, even if it's outdated and aged badly now. I am also personally attached to this game, I played it a lot. I haven't enjoyed many games on a personal level but TP was one of the games that is engraved into my memories

Wind Waker, same reason as TP, top notch Zelda game that succeeds well in story, a coming of age hero's journey about a boy who proves himself. The cel shaded gamecube graphics have aged well and I still like the original over the Wii U HD remake. The characters are memorable and adorable, gameplay is fun and smooth, dungeons while not the best are still good dungeons. WW is one of the best. I also have a lot personal attachment to it like TP, and the gamecube in general.

Morrowind is an atmospheric and well crafted open world game with a lot of depth into it with lore books and quests and many dungeons too. I remember spending many hours making a perfect character with perfect attributes and maxed out majors/minors. I lost that character file though. Modded Morrowind is fun too, but unlike Skyrim, it really stands out on its own even without mods. One problem is the walk speed is slow as hell and I always can't wait to max my speed, athletics and acrobats. Once I got the hang of Morrowind's mechanics, it was a blast. Oblivion is also a close tie for similar reasons. Skyrim is a very fun game too, despite some flaws.

Fallout: New Vegas, it has interesting and fleshed out story and characters. The graphics and combat are dated but fun and tolerable and it doesn't affect the quality of the game that much. I still really enjoy playing it unmodded and it stands on its own and doesn't rely on mods to be good and fun unlike Fallout 4. Obsidian did a great job with Bethesda's crappy engine and making a fantastic game that I could replay a million times. Making characters is also fun to roleplay and stuff

Pokemon GSC, HGSS, BW, B2W2. Couldn't help but mention these

Last of Us, forgot to add it. Another emotional and great story that develops the characters and they grew on me most certainly.

These are all things I can remember on an intimate level. There's probably more can't remember on top of my head

Last edited:

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • Rayman 2 is my favourite game. The whole concept and aesthetic just inspires me.

If online gaming counts, then I'll also include Guild Wars 1.

Back