• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite/least favourite character(s) so far?

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    I opened a similar thread when Legends: Arceus was released this year, so it's time for one regarding these games.

Which characters have made the best impression on you? Which left you not very impressed? Any new favourites or least favourites? Discuss!

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen May 23, 2024
    I'm really enjoying the variety of characters so far! I'm loving how we've been introduced to several elite 4 members thus far, and how they seem more integral to the story. Furthermore, the gym leaders are given much more personality, I feel, and are quite memorable I'd say. I haven't come across a character that I can say I necessarily dislike. Nemona instantaneously became well-liked by me, though I do wish they'd expand her character a bit more! Clavell, I find it a bit peculiar how he seems to follow the protagonist around and his disguises are a bit ridiculous, though he is interesting nonetheless!

I must comment on how the character designs are incredible! All of the characters are so colourful and their aesthetics truly showcase their respective personalities. I do feel that the elite four members are a tad bland in comparison to the gym leaders, design wise. I do love Rika's look, though! I also share the same sentiment that it is a bit odd that Poppy is a member of the elite four considering her age, however.

I would have to say that Grisha and Tulip are my favourites, purely based off their extraordinarily beautiful designs. I'm absolutely enamoured by both of them!

Last edited:

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    To be honest, I am currently not paying much attention to the characters at the moment. I am too busy exploring the open world, catching a tons of Pokémon, (which is Heaven for me), and enjoying adventuring with friends through the Union Circle. I don't care too much about the characters that I met already. In fact, I was just anxious for the cutscenes to end so that I could get right to the open world aspect of the game. However, I guess I can provide an update when I do get to know more of the characters, but at this rate, who knows when that would be.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    Hoo boy. HOO BOY.

My favorites:
    Spoiler:

My least favorites:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    I really like Arven. He has quite a bit of depth and is just a fun character overall. Felt bad for him going through the titan storyline and that multiplied five fold for the later story. Has to be my favorite story/plot in a Pokémon game recently, if not altogether omg.

Like all of them overall, but others that left a good impression on me:

1) Larry
    2) Rika!!
    3) Ryme
    4) Miriam
    5) Prof. Dendra

And probably more.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    Additional question for everyone here: Did your impressions of already-revealed characters change upon actually playing/watching a playthrough of the game?

I'm saying this because I was partial to Brassius and Iono during the promotion period, but now they're among my least favourite characters in these games. Iono is way more obnoxious than she came across in her videos (which is kind of the norm for very famous YouTubers, but still) and Brassius... look, I wanted to believe that he would be a pretty sane guy despite his appearance, but he really is as unstable as people were joking he was. I knew he wouldn't last as a favourite when I saw him on that windmill and screamed "GET DOWN, YOU BATTY F***!" in Argentinian Spanish. He's also friends with the pompous Hassel, whom I hated ever since he was leaked and we knew practically nothing about him. A man is known by the company he keeps...

Conversely, I though Grusha was going to be the Gym Leader version of one of the "edgy" rivals like Silver or Gladion, complete with the "tch" tic. Thankfully, he turned out a little more mature than that - like Silver way into his character development. It made me think, "I wish he'd been my rival, not Nemona." And without going too much into spoiler territory, I'm glad Clavell wasn't evil, because at first he looked too much to me like Alva from the 19th anime movie. Now, I do find his management of the Academy a little questionable (for reasons that amount to me watching one too many black comedies), but I can't say he's malicious at all. It's a breath of fresh air.

Last edited:

Poke fan number 489

pokemon fan
    Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Earth
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023
    I like Penny the least of the main characters, but she's cool.
    Nemona is Goku, also people keep claiming she's a yandere. Stop it.
    Arven makes sandwich for Funny Bike Lizard. He is awesome.
    I like Clavell, not much else to say.
    I don't get why Clive never got a ending scene.
    The gym leaders are cool. Special mention to Larry.
    Team Star is fine.

However, This is one of the weakest Elite 4s. I dislike Penny, don't care about Dragon boy, I slightly like Rika, and Larry is the character ever. Geeta is a pathetic excuse for a champion. The only reason she can't hold back is the lack of something to hold back.
    Only beats Kalos. Everything beats Kalos when it comes to characters.

NoobMaster_6ix9

NoobMaster
    Years
    I like Penny the least of the main characters, but she's cool.
    Nemona is Goku, also people keep claiming she's a yandere. Stop it.
    Arven makes sandwich for Funny Bike Lizard. He is awesome.
    I like Clavell, not much else to say.
    I don't get why Clive never got a ending scene.
    The gym leaders are cool. Special mention to Larry.
    Team Star is fine.

However, This is one of the weakest Elite 4s. I dislike Penny, don't care about Dragon boy, I slightly like Rika, and Larry is the character ever. Geeta is a pathetic excuse for a champion. The only reason she can't hold back is the lack of something to hold back.
    Only beats Kalos. Everything beats Kalos when it comes to characters.

This game isn't much better than Sword/Shield, only slightly to me.

it's sad.

6.5/10 is my score for the game.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Spoiler:

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
    I don't like Geeta. Compared to all of the other NPCs, her face has an Uncanny Valley thing going on that I just can't ignore.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    After finishing the story, I have some opinions on the characters of this game.

As for my favorite character, I must say that I love Nemona. I would go as far as to say that Nemona is probably the best rival in Pokémon, at least from a friendship standpoint, which is saying a lot because I enjoyed the "friendly" rivals a lot starting from generation V. I love the way Nemona is already an established champion-level battler, but she sees potential in you and genuinely wants to see you succeed. It's a different take compared to a rival wanting to be better than you while you're travelling together. Nemona wants you to reach her level first before beginning a rivalry that could make both of you better battlers. In the process, she doesn't go all-out on you until you reach that level. She keeps track of your progress, she helps out during crucial points, she has a positive, energic personality that is inspiring, and best of all, she loves competitive Pokémon just like me. We'd definitely be great friends if I was in the Pokémon world. Much love for Nemona!

My least favorite character is definitely Penny. I am not a big fan of her snarky attitude or overall personality in general. It's just so, ugh. For me, she really ruined the mood of the final aspect of the story for me with her comments and overall pessimistic personality. I definitely wouldn't want her anywhere around me if I existed in the Pokémon world, as she seems like she would be a toxic friend that would just bring my mood down. She doesn't seem to have any sense of adventure despite the fact that this game heavily emphasizes adventure, doesn't express joy or happiness, she's rude, and overall, extremely boring. I don't like anything about her from a character standpoint. However, on a gameplay standpoint, I would give her this: I love her team of Eevelutions and how strong she is in battling.

I didn't care too much for Arven. In my opinion, he was too much of an egomaniac for my tastes, but he wasn't horrible. He's constantly yelling at the Raidon exclusive to the game because of misplaced anger and I wasn't a fan of that. I guess his character was redeemed for me when he was revealed to be wanting to assist his Mabostiff that got injured, but it felt kind of cheap in my opinion. I mean, I don't know, maybe it's just me, but it seems like they attempted to make an otherwise unlikable character likable by giving him some sad backstories. He did seem like he was a decent friend though, but not as good of a friend as Nemona. I guess my overall opinion on him is neutral. I didn't like or dislike him.

I liked Director Clavell a lot because not only is he a stern school director that wants what's best for his students, but he was also consistently funny. His disguises were funny, and not only that, but he was a great battler as well.

As far as gym leaders go, Ryme was definitely my favorite. She can actually rap and I love it. She easily stood out the most for me. Most of the other gym leaders, I honestly forgot who they were already. I'd have to look them up to remember, no exaggeration. It's sad that a character in Pokémon is better than a lot of rappers on the radio today. I liked Ryme because she was lit. I can't get over the fact that she was like 60 or so, but I guess that could easily be explained as her being one of the first rappers to ever do it, who would probably be baby boomers or at least early gen X today. Either way, it shows that age shouldn't stop you from doing what you love. My least favorite is probably Larry. He was just boring. I don't understand why Normal-type trainers have to be portrayed as boring. If anything, they should be portrayed as trainers that can overcome the odds despite not having Pokémon with superpowers. Larry didn't really add much in terms of character for me. Making a trainer a Normal-type trainer should never be an excuse for creating a bland character.

As far as Team Star, I am definitely not a fan. Team Star is definitely one of the worst "villainous" teams in Pokémon history. I would rank them better than Team Yell though, but that's not saying much because Team Yell was abysmally awful. They turned out to be a group of outcasts that were picked on in school and, to be honest, they slightly gave me school shooter vibes. I didn't like any of the bosses, and their leader, Penny, is definitely my least favorite character. I also thought the idea of their bosses turning their Revavrooms into battle cars was stupid. However, I did enjoy their story arc though from a gameplay perspective where I stormed their bases and defeated their Pokémon using the auto-battle feature, which was tons of fun. I don't understand Pokémon's fascination with weak villainous teams that hardly do anything bad these days. It really sucks.

Call me weird, but I was never a fan of bad guys in stories that actually aren't bad guys. If the bad guys truly aren't doing anything bad, then I don't see the point in attempting to stop them. Why am I going after a group that isn't really harming anybody or proving to be a major threat against the region as a whole compared to previous villainous teams like Team Rocket, Team Plasma, Team Galactic, and so on? To me, it just makes the whole thing seem mundane and not worth carrying out. At least with Cyrus and Ghetsis, I wanted to take them down and felt good about it because they were bad people doing really bad dangerous things and they needed to be stopped. I felt I like a had purpose in stopping them. With Team Aqua and Team Magma, even though I can't consider them fully bad people, their goal was bad, and it felt like I served a purpose to stop them from flooding or burning the world. With Team Star, why am I invading the personal spaces of a group of outcast kids that were picked on and technically aren't causing any major trouble? To me, that's weak writing and that's unacceptable.

As for the game exclusive professor, I don't really have too much of an opinion on the character since there clearly wasn't much character for an obvious reason that I won't go into detail because it is a pretty big spoiler, but the story was unexpected and emotionally moving for sure. However, from a gameplay perspective, I loved it. This was definitely one of the most fun boss battles that I ever had in a Pokémon game.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    I can't really understand the hate for Geeta. I understand that she definitely has the entire beauty salon on her head though. I mean, if you're going to wear weave, at least try to make it look realistic.

Poke fan number 489

pokemon fan
    Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Earth
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023
    I can't really understand the hate for Geeta. I understand that she definitely has the entire beauty salon on her head though. I mean, if you're going to wear weave, at least try to make it look realistic.

Her team is so incredibly bad.
    HER ACE IS A SET-UP MON. SHE HAS A KINGAMBIT AND IT'S NOT HER ACE. SHE USES A GOGOAT AND AN AVALUGG. SHE'S THE CHAMPION AND SHE'S NOT EVEN THE FINAL BOSS OF VICTORY ROAD. SHE MADE THE ELITE FOUR AN INTERVIEW.
    She isn't isn't as good as Trace, because his ace wasn't a damn SET-UP MON. Geeta has Quick attack and a veluza without a signature move. She might be the single most underwhelming character ever. They made multiple champions and called her the best, just to make her the most pathetic piece of trash in the entire series.

I hate Geeta, and is the only character in this game I can say that about

Years
    • Seen yesterday

From what you said you don't actually hate the character, but her team (or the way she uses it), which was poorly designed for a champion's team. That's something a rom hacker could fix by simply improving her team, not really a problem with the characters' design or personality.

Poke fan number 489

pokemon fan
    Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Earth
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023
    From what you said you don't actually hate the character, but her team (or the way she uses it), which was poorly designed for a champion's team. That's something a rom hacker could fix by simply improving her team, not really a problem with the characters' design or personality.

Nothing upsets me more then lackluster champions. Also she put an interview in the elite 4 and I just can't respect someone like that.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Her team is so incredibly bad.
    HER ACE IS A SET-UP MON. SHE HAS A KINGAMBIT AND IT'S NOT HER ACE. SHE USES A GOGOAT AND AN AVALUGG. SHE'S THE CHAMPION AND SHE'S NOT EVEN THE FINAL BOSS OF VICTORY ROAD. SHE MADE THE ELITE FOUR AN INTERVIEW.
    She isn't isn't as good as Trace, because his ace wasn't a damn SET-UP MON. Geeta has Quick attack and a veluza without a signature move. She might be the single most underwhelming character ever. They made multiple champions and called her the best, just to make her the most pathetic piece of trash in the entire series.

None of the champions in Pokémon truly provide much of a challenge though. Hardly any of them have truly good teams. As for Geeta, I do agree that she should have definitely opened with Glimmora though and used Kingambit last, which would have definitely maxed its strength. Still, she was never really portrayed as the best in the game, as the game straight up tells you that Nemona beat her and is better than her. Nemona was the true final boss of the Victory Road story. Thus, you can make the argument that Nemona was the "true" champion of the region. Sure, she's considered the "top champion," mainly because her role as chairwoman, but Nemona is above her in terms of primacy. It should also be noted that this generation, at least the moment, doesn't really have many good Pokémon in it as well.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    Maybe it's me going against the tide as always, but a month has passed since the games were released and I still don't get the appeal of Larry, or at least not as he was presented in-game.

First off, he's a specifically Japanese (and quite probably an actual citizen of any of the Japan-based regions) salaryman... working in a region based on Spain. I'd understand that more if he were working for, say, a multi-regional company with headquarters in his home region, but his 9-to-5 job is apparently, according to a crude translation of the Japanese script of the game, in the very Paldea League's sales department. On top of the fact that Spain's work culture isn't the same as Japan's, his occupation doesn't make a shred of sense to me. How does that even work? Perhaps it could improve with a better translation, but I have the feeling this is all we'll get.

Secondly, he rants to the player character about his life being what expects them in adulthood - a dull, neverending string of work with little enjoyment derived from it. Thing is... one of the things that makes Pokémon stand out as a particularly idealistic game is the fact that there's a lot of adult characters who can perfectly make a living and actually enjoy their careers - even in this very game! To boot, it's implied that Larry purposefully overworks himself for some reason, as even his hated boss, Geeta herself, told him to cut down on overtime. Again, I'd have more sympathy for him if...
    -he actually had a specific reason for working as much as he does, like paying off a family member's medical bills or a debt of his own to some kind of criminal,
    -it were pointed out that he's trapped in some kind of vicious cycle in which he became a workaholic in his 9-to-5 job because he doesn't like his other jobs and/or having to deal with Geeta,
    -his 9-to-5 job was a cover and he's really just Geeta's right-hand (hit)man, and the stress of cleaning up after her is taking a toll on his mental health. That also stands in stark contrast to a certain spoiler character in PLA, who willfully serves his boss and handles his dirty business because they share a common goal and a long-term friendship.
    The point is, how am I supposed to care about the fact he hates his job when we don't even know what it entails and when it's implied he's trapped in a Hell of his own making?

Lastly, he is supposed to stand out among this region's eccentric Gym Leaders because he's so ordinary, As Serenity said above, however, his design leaves a lot to be desired. He barely passes as a Pokémon character even taking into account that he's a Normal-type specialist, but to have him take up the Flying-type spot that could have been occupied by a far more interesting character is borderline insulting. As someone who's been waiting for an actually appealing Flying-type specialist (especially a male one, given that we only had Falkner before him), I was not just disappointed, I was livid. I hated his design when he was leaked from a blurry picture, and now I hate him even more.

I have beef with a lot of characters in this game (practically the entire cast save the Montenevera sisters, the Star Bosses and Poppy), but Larry has been one of the characters whom I find most overrated.

Back