• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite Media Players?

What media player do you use?

• Windows Media Player

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Winamp

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Media Monkey

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Songbird

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • iTunes

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • foobar2000

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Something else?

Votes: 9 29.0%

• Total voters

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    How do you listen to music or watch videos? What media players do you use, and why?

I use Winamp for music and video. Works like a charm, looks sharp. 8D I have been thinking about switching to WMP 11 because of the smaller memory usage, but eh.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • i use iTunes. Simply because it works with all my media players, computers, and media. compatibility and ease of use are the 2 biggest reasons I use what I use.

besides, it's free.

Years
  • Windows Media Players 11 & 12, depending on my OS, simply because, well, it was designed with Windows computers in mind, while iTunes was not, and it has a faster loading time for me. That and I don't own an iPod, so I have no need for iTunes except for being able to burn CDs of songs I did buy off of iTunes back when the songs were only available in a proprietary file format back when I did actually own an iPod.

Years
  • I tend to stick to defaults where possible. That means iTunes on Mac OSX and Media Player on Windows 7. When I get around to getting an iPod, it will probably just be iTunes on all.

I really don't get the iTunes hate. It's a good program that does what it should.

Years
  • I just use Windows Media Player because it does exactly what I need without having to download other programs (I have iTunes on my computer, but it just runs slowly, so I don't bother using it)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I used to use Windows Media Player to listen to music when I first got my laptop, but now it's iTunes.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Music on iTunes; VLC for everything else. The former almost never has problems, not like WMP (which I do nonetheless use sometimes). The latter is just out of necessity for playing DVDs and obscure media formats, but it's nice enough to live with.

Years
  • I use iTunes for both Mac OSX and Windows 7 for music. But when it comes to any sort of video, VLC is what I use on both operating systems again.

It is the best video player I have ever used and has never once struggled with a video.​

Years
  • I really don't get the iTunes hate. It's a good program that does what it should.

I used to have no problems using iTunes, but within the past year it's just been much slower than Windows Media Player in both cold starts and while in operation. It's also completely wiped out the library lists more than once after an update to it on both of my machines, which I'm perfectly aware should not be happening. Fortunately it didn't delete the actual song files.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I use Winamp for game music because of the available plugins for game sound formats and MPC-HC for everything else.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    On OS X, it's iTunes for music/most video and VLC for the rest of it/converting stuff. For what I need, iTunes is the perfect media player; most of everything that I download is in .mov format, not to mention that because it was developed natively for OS X it is better. I only use VLC when I'm dealing with trying to put .avi files on my iPod Nano or when I get some strange stream format or whatnot (or .flv files), since it's good with that sort of stuff.

On Windows, I use WMP 12 and VLC for the same reasons, except now here it's dealing with .mov files and the whatnot.

AadmM

I AM THE BRAINWASHAAAA
    Years
  • iTunes all the way. Been using it for years now, even before I switched to a Mac.

I never did care for WMP or foobar...but Winamp was alright in the short time that I used it--I really enjoyed tinkering with skins.

Buuut iTunes as a whole just feels more organized and easier to work with. And nowadays, I've got all kinds of Apple junk--from an iPad, to an Apple TV, and soon an iPhone. So even if I wasn't a Mac person, I'd still have plenty of good reasons to use it.

Eeohnex

Illuminate
    Years
  • Been using iTunes for a long time now, at first it was just to sync my iPod. Then I realized, it was great to keep my music library organized; with their corresponding artwork, album, artist, etc. Never really liked WMP, Foobar and Winamp.

Sometimes I use VLC to listen to some of my FLAC music collection and of course, for video.

metronome

dinosaurs are cool
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2011
    I get all of my music off Grooveshark; I have about 2 actual downloaded songs. As for video, VLC works beautifully for just about everything.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Itunes, I've been using it since it came out :) For watching videos I tend to use Windows Media player classic, or just Windows Media Player.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I've been using Winamp for a long time now. Winamp kept giving me problems with last.fm though, so I recently switched to foobar after hearing a lot of good things, I toyed around with it for about a month trying all the different add-ons, and I found the vast majority of them weren't particularly stable; I got way too many errors and in the end it just wasn't worth the hassle any more. I switched back to Winamp and got a previous plug-in version for last.fm and I've had no problems since.

Foobar is definitely the best looking media player, but due to the high customization there's a large margin for error, unfortunately. I'm happy sticking with Winamp for now though, I got bored of the foobar novelties anyway.

WMP is pretty poor with loading times, and iTunes annoys me simply because it puts "song name - artist name" and it's started a trend where people type think it's supposed to be that way. It's a pet peeve of mine. I've never tried any other media player.

For videos, I use VLC. Never had any problems with it and it's the best video player available imo.

KitKat13

i'm on the right track, baby
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Mar 17, 2012
    `I use Winamp and Windows Media Player, but I actually prefer to use Winamp rather than Windows Media Player, 'cause I never had a problem using it unlike Windows Media Player..errors everywhere! Which makes me irritated. XD;

Back