• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gender Differences?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Do you think we're going to get any Pokemon with gender differences this time around? We haven't really had as many since Sinnoh, but I'd like for there to be more this time around, all and all...

Years
  • I feel we're not going to get any minor gender differences again, since the ones we had in 5th and 6th Gen (Unfezant, Frillish line, Pyroar, Meowstic) were all drastically noticeable in appearance. I could see the Popplio final evolution maybe get a gender difference for the males, or it'll just pull the Gardevoir route and have the same appearance for both genders.

Years
  • My prediction:
    Bruxish (We only saw the "female" forme)
    Sandilit (We only saw the "male" forme)

I remember watching one of the trailers closely and for a brief split second I saw Bruxish's health bar and it displayed the male sign. Likely guessing it won't change appearance based on gender.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I think Lurantis may change colour depending on its gender. The female could be the pink form we saw and then a male could be more of a greenish colour.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I have said in another thread, that I don't think they will be different pokemon.

But I will say that I am almost certain there will be pokemon that look different based on gender, because that has been a thing since Unova and was used again in Kalos.

Solar Snivy

#TeamRowlet
    Years
  • I want one for the Litten line. Maybe more subtle for the first forms, and then a drastically more feminine form for the final.

Litten might have shorter fur tufts, and Wrestlercat would be much sleeker and more feminine. Not sure about the mid stage.

Years
  • It's nice to have the ocassional big differences in some Pokemon like Frillish just for the sake of variety, but when the differences are smaller it's sometimes hard to notice so I guess I'm more indifferent than anything. Although if the Pokemon is based on an animal that has really drastic differences then it makes more sense for there to be gender differences.

Like Oricorio is based on a bird of paradise and so only the males should be so colorful, but given that this Pokemon's thing is its colorful dancing and that there are already 4 forms, I'm guessing they won't do gender differences with it.

Years
  • Like Oricorio is based on a bird of paradise and so only the males should be so colorful, but given that this Pokemon's thing is its colorful dancing and that there are already 4 forms, I'm guessing they won't do gender differences with it.

Oricorio isn't based on a bird of paradise, but actually a Hawaiian Honeycreeper which is a bird with similarities to the Darwin's Finch which likely inspired Oricorio having different forms on each island. Plus, if I recall seeing the health bar of a Pom Pom Oricorio in the new trailer it was shown to be female so can't see a gender difference happening here.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Like Oricorio is based on a bird of paradise and so only the males should be so colorful, but given that this Pokemon's thing is its colorful dancing and that there are already 4 forms, I'm guessing they won't do gender differences with it.
    I was totally thinking this. It's highly unlikely to happen at this point but this Pokémon could have been amazing with gender differences (like, the male flamenco outfit for Baile style or ouendan uniform for Pom-Pom style). At this point, though, all I hope for is that it's not a female-only Pokémon.

Jason Wolf

The Chronicler
    Years
  • If I could I'd have every pokemon have gender differences. Sexual dimorphism (scientific name for gender differences) are extremely common in the animal kingdom and I think it'd add a lot to the game.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    With the use of 3D models and the use of the camera, it'll be a lot more difficult to spot newer gender differences without having a closer examination. I feel as if we'll see much more dramatic gender differences, but we'll also have smaller ones integrated in at some points as well.

Years
  • Maybe there will be a surprise gender introduction this generation, just like with Wobbuffet in Gen VI. xD

Years
  • I feel most of the new Pokemon won't have gender differences since that's been the case for literally the entire rosters of 5th and 6th Gen, with only some very few Pokemon that did get differences but were drastic ones at most - notable ones being Unfezant, Frillish, Jellicent, Pyroar and Meowstic.

There is a rumor that Salandit's evolution may be different depending on gender, but I think it will mostly be an aesthetic change in appearance.

Back