• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 31, 2015
    I submitted a template. As I mentioned in my post there, it may not be a bad idea to add some emblems as a little incentive.

If I create an IC template to go with it, should I make a new post? I wasn't sure if I needed to or not.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I submitted a template. As I mentioned in my post there, it may not be a bad idea to add some emblems as a little incentive.

If I create an IC template to go with it, should I make a new post? I wasn't sure if I needed to or not.
    Hi! I'm not sure I've seen you around before.

Yeah, hm, I have some comments on that. Firstly, Audiowide really isn't a great font for other things than headers. It's just not super legible. But that might be a matter of taste I guess.

Yes, put it in several posts please.

Another question, how much lore do you want/need for a RP set in an original universe?
    The more the better! How do you mean "original universe"?

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2015
    Hi! I'm not sure I've seen you around before.

Yeah, hm, I have some comments on that. Firstly, Audiowide really isn't a great font for other things than headers. It's just not super legible. But that might be a matter of taste I guess.

Yes, put it in several posts please.

Hi! If you know him, I'm Cayo's brother. I'm only in a couple RPs right now, but I'm kinda new.

Now that you mention it, I'll change that. I was almost done and then I had to finish it real quick. Wasn't thinking that one through much.

Thanks for the answer!

Years

• HYPE!
    I'm so glad to see this happening. No longer will new/prospective RPers feel worried by the use of CSS in other people's posts!

Another question, how much lore do you want/need for a RP set in an original universe?

That depends on the universe. I make a lot of RPs set in original universes (I think) and the lore really varies to fit the RP. In my original Reapers RP and in Fragmented, I had a quite a lot of law so people could understand and make sense of the world but in Gunpowder and my new Reapers RP less lore is required than compared to those two.

Speaking of which, Reapers needs some lovin' people! SUs need to be finished and anyone looking for a new RP should definitely take a look!

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023

I think it's important to strike a healthy balance. You don't the player to feel like they should study and take tests to understand the lore, so going to deep and expanding too much can be a bad thing. In the OP nothing more than the information that is important to the start of the RP. A lot of lore can be added while the RP is going on, and this gives players the chance to have their influence on the RP, which most people like to do. An over abundance of lore and a lot of reading and remembering will turn people off.

So, I'm wondering, I've noticed that RP'ers write differently from traditional writers. People seem to use enters after every line of dialogue, color their dialogue or use certain punctuation signs in way that people don't use them traditionally, like putting ~'s in dialogue to signify an almost singing tone. How do you guys feel about that, and which do you prefer?

Years
  • I think it's important to strike a healthy balance. You don't the player to feel like they should study and take tests to understand the lore, so going to deep and expanding too much can be a bad thing. In the OP nothing more than the information that is important to the start of the RP. A lot of lore can be added while the RP is going on, and this gives players the chance to have their influence on the RP, which most people like to do. An over abundance of lore and a lot of reading and remembering will turn people off.

So, I'm wondering, I've noticed that RP'ers write differently from traditional writers. People seem to use enters after every line of dialogue, color their dialogue or use certain punctuation signs in way that people don't use them traditionally, like putting ~'s in dialogue to signify an almost singing tone. How do you guys feel about that, and which do you prefer?

I always do my speech in the traditional way, the extra spaces just feel weird to me. As for the rest of it though I don't really have any problems. I actually think it is sort of cool in a way that there's different language conventions applied to RPing.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • I always do my speech in the traditional way, the extra spaces just feel weird to me. As for the rest of it though I don't really have any problems. I actually think it is sort of cool in a way that there's different language conventions applied to RPing.

If there is anything that made me genuinely want to kill you it's you forgetting punctuation in dialogue

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I always do my speech in the traditional way, the extra spaces just feel weird to me. As for the rest of it though I don't really have any problems. I actually think it is sort of cool in a way that there's different language conventions applied to RPing.
    No offense, but the way you are doing it isn't really "traditional". Maybe in a word processor with indents for every new paragraph, but with plain text on a forum it just gets crowded. If you check out the most well written fics over at FF&W, you see that pressing enter is considered the best way. Especially before every new dialogue. It's just easiest to read on a forum where there's no automatic paragraph formatting. And definitely looks the best imo.

As for colored text... I'm not a fan haha. But I'm not gonna stop people from doing it, as long as they don't use some color I can't read on my bright PC style. Just like with css formatting around IC posts, it's just another way to add some uniqueness to your character, I guess. Which is a cool thing with RPing opposed to traditional fiction writing, even in forums, from what I've seen.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024

The OOC, from a purely objective perspective, is an advertisement which is meant to draw players in your RP. If potential players looking through it for the first time are faced with endless walls of text of lore, not all of them may feel obliged to read any of it, even if it's interesting. Instead, the readily visible content about the setting should be encouraging them to join. If you have lore up there that's related to what kind of role the players will be taking on, and it's not of a daunting size, then the potential players are going to read it gladly and enjoy it too, if it's well written and concise (where and if possible).

Before the RP, if you feel like writing additional lore for your setting, you could always do that and keep it in a pad, with-holding it from the thread or otherwise putting it in a section where it is clear it's "Not Must-Read Content". Players who want to read more can go there, and players who don't feel like reading more will know that that section contains additional info that they can read at a later time.

Bottom line; the lore that the players can build upon is always good lore. The other kind of lore can easily be put IC for the players to enjoy with their characters already made. There is a middle ground somewhere in there, of course.

Personally, I appreciate the effort of the creator writing additional lore for an original setting. I enjoy reading more about something that piques my interest, and I like it as it shows the level of devotion the GM has for his/her setting.

Depends on the character of the RP itself, if it's a relatively serious theme with a more collected and dedicated type of writing, then I'd rather it was like reading a book. If it's a more lighthearted and casual RP, I don't mind anything that makes the post a bit more interesting

Last edited:
    Years
  • No offense, but the way you are doing it isn't really "traditional". Maybe in a word processor with indents for every new paragraph, but with plain text on a forum it just gets crowded. If you check out the most well written fics over at FF&W, you see that pressing enter is considered the best way. Especially before every new dialogue. It's just easiest to read on a forum where there's no automatic paragraph formatting. And definitely looks the best imo.

As for colored text... I'm not a fan haha. But I'm not gonna stop people from doing it, as long as they don't use some color I can't read on my bright PC style. Just like with css formatting around IC posts, it's just another way to add some uniqueness to your character, I guess. Which is a cool thing with RPing opposed to traditional fiction writing, even in forums, from what I've seen.

Just because people in ff&w prefer the other way also doesn't mean the method I use is any less "traditional". The actual writing convention that they teach in our schools is "start a new line". I don't think either method is exactly incorrect though, I just consider one the technically correct one the "popularised" one.

The popularised method kind of feels clunky to me, but lately I do find myself considering switching to it just because so many of you dislike the other way. It's difficult for me to break habits though xD

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Just because people in ff&w prefer the other way also doesn't mean the method I use is any less "traditional". The actual writing convention that they teach in our schools is "start a new line". I don't think either method is exactly incorrect though, I just consider one the technically correct one the "popularised" one.

The popularised method kind of feels clunky to me, but lately I do find myself considering switching to it just because so many of you dislike the other way. It's difficult for me to break habits though xD
    Don't get me wrong, I know very well that "start a new line" is the proper way :) but that's when you can actually make your text easy to read, like in a word processor. On a plain forum post, you don't have that so the most elegant way is to "start a new double line" sorta.

Years
  • Don't get me wrong, I know very well that "start a new line" is the proper way :) but that's when you can actually make your text easy to read, like in a word processor. On a plain forum post, you don't have that so the most elegant way is to "start a new double line" sorta.

Fair enough then.

As I said, if you all really find my posts that difficult to read I'll make an effort to switch to the method everyone prefers. After all, I like to make my posts enjoyable for others to read if I can. It will take some time to break out of old habits though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back