• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Girl bullied on XBL, M$ ban victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Basically because her profile said she was a Lesbian she became the victim of a hate campaign, she reported it to M$ only to find herself banned.

This is really, really stupid, M$ runs an online service that does nothing to stop Racism and anti-semitism yet happily ban a victim of homophobic abuse.

https://consumerist.com/5160187/identifying-yourself-as-a-lesbian-gets-you-banned-on-xbox-live

https://www.destructoid.com/microso...box-live-starts-rounding-up-jews-122853.phtml

Check it out here.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    From a business standpoint, I don't think Microsoft can be faulted here. The fact of the matter is that this kind of online harassment is most effectively reduced by keeping people from provoking the bigots. It's a lot easier to ban a few people who ask for trouble (seriously, what did she expect would happen, anyway?) than it is to ban a huge crowd of jerks. Microsoft can't be expected to make any sort of political or moral statement on the matter of gay rights, they're just trying to limit the flaming and harassing that takes place on XBL.

Last edited:

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    From a business standpoint, I don't think Microsoft can be faulted here. The fact of the matter is that this kind of online harassment is most effectively reduced by keeping people from provoking the bigots. It's a lot easier to ban a few people who ask for trouble (seriously, what did she expect would happen, anyway?) than it is to ban a huge crowd of jerks. Microsoft can't be expected to make any sort of political or moral statement on the matter of gay rights, they're just trying to limit the flaming and harassing that takes place on XBL.

So online bullying, homophobia and racism is all ok I guess as long as we shun the victims, oh well now i see it's completely ok what M$ done. /sarcasm

Why on earth should she miss out? She's actually done nothing wrong. It's like the time Mr. Gaywood was banned from Live, even though Gaywood is actually his surename.

Reactions: Zet

Zet

Years

Obviously by banning the idiots on XBL we can ensure XBL will be a happy place in no time. Though as to what you're saying it seems a bit idiotic by keeping people who can affect children by saying that it's bad to be gay and it's a good thing to make fun of gay people, which would result in a even more unwanted behaviour in real life.

Kaiyori

Godzrilla hungry?
    Years
    So online bullying, homophobia and racism is all ok I guess as long as we shun the victims, oh well now i see it's completely ok what M$ done. /sarcasm

Why on earth should she miss out? She's actually done nothing wrong. It's like the time Mr. Gaywood was banned from Live, even though Gaywood is actually his surename.

I think this is blown out of proportion, I mean who knows what she did back, she might be saying that she did nothing, But who takes crap and doesn't give it back?

Anyway I'm pretty sure the reason MS barred her account was because that she stated she was a lesbian in her profile, I think they ban people who have inappropriate things in their gamertags/profiles.

Same with the Gaywood thing, How is microsoft supposed to know? They could've thought it was some idiots playing a joke or something.

Who uses their name in online games anyway o.O?

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    who takes crap and doesn't give it back?
    I don't... Saying she did is just an assumption.
    This is very unfair, what message does this sound out about microsoft? 'Get lost homosexuals, we don't want you as our customers'; they might aswell have plastered homophobe all over their company name.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2016
    I don't... Saying she did is just an assumption.
    This is very unfair, what message does this sound out about microsoft? 'Get lost homosexuals, we don't want you as our customers'; they might aswell have plastered homophobe all over their company name.
    Well, what do you expect nowadays.
    We live in a world that preaches hate, bigotry, and racism. You constantly hear about anti-homosexual protests. It would make sense that a business as large as microsoft would have anti-homosexual members and would also try and avoid causing any sort of problem by banning many anti-homosexual people when they feel they could just ban the one instead.
    The world is filled with stupidity and there is sadly nothing to do about it so far... maybe the world will accept homosexuals and people with different beliefs... but it's pretty unlikely for now

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I think this is blown out of proportion, I mean who knows what she did back, she might be saying that she did nothing, But who takes crap and doesn't give it back?

Anyway I'm pretty sure the reason MS barred her account was because that she stated she was a lesbian in her profile, I think they ban people who have inappropriate things in their gamertags/profiles.

Same with the Gaywood thing, How is microsoft supposed to know? They could've thought it was some idiots playing a joke or something.

You know the bit where they say "enter your forenames(s) and surename" yeah? That might be something to do with why he put Gaywood.

Sorry, i didn't realise you weren't allowed to put in facs about yourself in an "about me" section. How silly of me.

Microsoft doesnt ban people for innapropriate names. I've played a "Death2jews" on 4 or 5 seperate occasions, and he's never being deleted.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021

From a business standpoint, isn't this actually quite bad? It definatly gives out the wrong message of what they think ie people who are being harassed are the ones that should be banned o.O Shouldn't it be the ones that take the time to go around flaming random people be banned instead?

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    I view this as totally unfair. I know from a parent's point of view, they don't want their kids knowing these sorts of things at their age.. But what the hell are they doing letting their kids go on Xbox Live in the first place? I'm not homosexual, but I have no problems with people who are... Why can't people just agree with the life decisions of others? It was totally out of order for Microsoft to ban her.

Zet

Years

did you even read the article? Because if you did you would know she was hunted down and flamed all across XBL by those people and then more joined in the flaming

Sublime

Blimey!
    Years
    Wow.
    That is simply idiotic.

She gets banned for being a lesbian, but I see gamertags like "KayKayKay4Life" and "Hitlerismyhero" that are roaming freely around the games?

M$ is a load of homophobes. Nothing but.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Well the problem is that there are more jerks on XBL than there are hairs on a fat old guy's back.
    You ban the jerks, 10 more come on to avenge him and harass even more users.

While I do agree it's very unfair to ban just the victim, you gotta give kudos to Microsoft for knowing what goes on in XBL. Besides XBL bans are so laughable anyways, they're simple enough to evade.

Places like XBL have always had the unspoken 'Dont ask, Dont Tell' rule when it comes to talking about your sexual preference, and I respect MS for upholding that sacred unspoken rule. XD

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    This actually makes me sick, why should she get banned for their offensive remarks, if I was her I'd be suing Mircosoft for discrimination.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    This actually makes me sick, why should she get banned for their offensive remarks, if I was her I'd be suing Mircosoft for discrimination.

I know what you mean. I think it's ridiclious and sends out the wrong message. However I don't think M$ are homophobes as such. I think they're stupidly trying to please the bulk of their userbase, instead of doing whats right.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I know what you mean. I think it's ridiculous and sends out the wrong message. However I don't think M$ are homophobes as such. I think they're stupidly trying to please the bulk of their userbase, instead of doing whats right.
    I wouldn't call that stupid. Actually in a business sense it's the smartest thing to do.

If you think MS is honestly ever going to tell it's immature userbase to grow up, then you're living in a dream world. Yes, I know. It's unfair to the victim but she DID bring it upon her self. Common sense tells anyone that in gaming, the topic of sexual preference is a 'Dont Ask, Dont Tell' matter.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I wouldn't call that stupid. Actually in a business sense it's the smartest thing to do.

If you think MS is honestly ever going to tell it's immature userbase to grow up, then you're living in a dream world. Yes, I know. It's unfair to the victim but she DID bring it upon her self. Common sense tells anyone that in gaming, the topic of sexual preference is a 'Dont Ask, Dont Tell' matter.

I assume it's cool to ban people for being black too then? We might aswell ban all religions whilst we're at it. I mean it's common sense not to tell people your ethnicity too right?

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I assume it's cool to ban people for being black too then? We might aswell ban all religions whilst we're at it. I mean it's common sense not to tell people your ethnicity too right?

Don't attempt to assume what I believe in. Did I say anything about ethnicity? No. I suggest you read my posts again.

But it is one way to keep the stupid jerks off your back, dont talk about things like your religion or ethnicity or sexual preferences. The best way to enjoy yourself is to lay low anyhow and not announce things that will draw bigoted trolls your way. People are stubborn, and kids are even worse.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    Am I terribly happy I don't bother using XBL for anything other than downloads and such. I'd probably get banned for not using all of their services. Oh wait... that could still happen... >.<

This is pretty much a ridiculous thing to let happen. Even for Microsoft. The banning of someone, just because they complain about ridicule they have been getting is pretty much a new low. Especially when the ridicule bounces back as 'offensive content' for the most ridiculous reason ever. Looking at the articles, she (Teresa) wasn't ever warned to remove such information from her account, before getting axed. They just banned her outright, it seems. Wouldn't it be best advised to let the member know that they should remove certain things, before getting all banhammer-happy?

I guess this is just more evidence towards Microsoft just being in it for the money; deal with the 'minority' to keep the 'majority' of paying customers 'happy'. Regardless of if they're reviewing their policies. Personally, I believe they're doing that much too late. (LIVE has been around for... what... years now? They're only just now addressing the issue?)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back