• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

goodbye hard drive

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Has your hard drive ever died/been altered by a program before to the point of the machine being unbootable?

...I had this happen to me recently when Filmora Wondershare completely ruined my computer, making it unbootable. It was a horrible experience.

Years
  • thankfully not...yet (i really hope i don't jinx anything with this comment lol). my mass storage seagate barracuda's been doing pretty alright in its 2 months or so of service. i got windows on my nvme SSD anyway so i figure they might be more reliable.

the best experience i've had so far in my life was a flawless western digital 500GB drive on the old family PC that ran without hiccups from 2012-2018, no matter what we threw at it. it was just... slow to load things is all xD such is the HDD life.

that's really odd though that a video editing software screwed up your drive. how'd it do it? i've been working with Sony Vegas, Camtasia Studio, Premiere Pro, & Davinci Resolve throughout different stages of my life and haven't had any issues whatsoever.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • thankfully not...yet (i really hope i don't jinx anything with this comment lol). my mass storage seagate barracuda's been doing pretty alright in its 2 months or so of service. i got windows on my nvme SSD anyway so i figure they might be more reliable.

the best experience i've had so far in my life was a flawless western digital 500GB drive on the old family PC that ran without hiccups from 2012-2018, no matter what we threw at it. it was just... slow to load things is all xD such is the HDD life.

that's really odd though that a video editing software screwed up your drive. how'd it do it? i've been working with Sony Vegas, Camtasia Studio, Premiere Pro, & Davinci Resolve throughout different stages of my life and haven't had any issues whatsoever.

I'm really... not sure what happened. I downloaded it, I got an error when it was intalling, and then I got a windows liscence violation error. So, either it was a fake version of the program, or the program edits regsitry keys in a way that rendered my computer useless. I couldn't figure it out. ;;

Years
  • I'm really... not sure what happened. I downloaded it, I got an error when it was intalling, and then I got a windows liscence violation error. So, either it was a fake version of the program, or the program edits regsitry keys in a way that rendered my computer useless. I couldn't figure it out. ;;

whoa that's... odd. did you make sure to download filmora from the official website? what troubleshooting steps have you already tried?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I once nuked the entire Windows registry simply by disabling Internet Explorer. Had to reinstall it entirely. Thankfully it was only in a class where we were building computers and the install was fresh, so I didn't lose anything important at all.

As for hard drives themselves, I do have one old hard drive that's about 15 years old at this point that I've taken out of a decommissioned computer that's since been recycled since the PSU failed, and it's starting to die. It's imaged now but it does have a very slight click to it.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • My dad's HDD was ruined because he carried his laptop sideways and wound up burning it out. Once, I messed a Linux installation so badly that it gave a message that, "You probably just borked your whole system. We're out. Good luck!" Fun times.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i honestly don't know what the cause of it was...probably just bc it was old and i didn't take the best care of it between emulators and music torrents, but my old hp pavilion kicked the bucket so hard that it couldn't even hold memory anymore. i'd have to hard reboot it if i wanted to use it. it would still boot up, but it was like 50 first dates lol as if it was new each time i opened it up. and it would usually freeze after using it for a bit. i got a cheap hp notebook to survive my last year of college after that.

Years
  • i honestly don't know what the cause of it was...probably just bc it was old and i didn't take the best care of it between emulators and music torrents, but my old hp pavilion kicked the bucket so hard that it couldn't even hold memory anymore. i'd have to hard reboot it if i wanted to use it. it would still boot up, but it was like 50 first dates lol as if it was new each time i opened it up. and it would usually freeze after using it for a bit. i got a cheap hp notebook to survive my last year of college after that.

dang you must be quite the fan of HP to still go for one even after experiencing that. for sure i would wanna try other brands when shopping for laptops.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • I don't have much to add to this thread besides a confession that I've totally broken someone else's hard drive due to physical damage, and I kinda didn't know what happened next cause I sorta just tuned out what they said to me afterwards and didn't pay much attention to what they did to fix it. I think they just got a new one. But umm... whoops.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • dang you must be quite the fan of HP to still go for one even after experiencing that. for sure i would wanna try other brands when shopping for laptops.

i had an old macbook in between the pavilion and the notebook, i forgot to mention. said macbook also had issues, but it was bought used and it was already old so lol. to be expected i suppose. the notebook was cheap and i just needed something to get me through my final year of college.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • One of my PC's hard drives started slowing down to the point of being nearly unusable last year. Just reading/writing files on it started talking forever. Though to be fair it was like 7 years old so I just got some new ones a few days later.

Years
  • I had a hard drive die almost 2 years ago, after 11 years of service. I have tried to do some restoration of its data through lots of chkdsk scans, but unfortunately those have turned up flat.

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
    Years
  • i had a hard drive die on me once, only because i accidently punched my computer right where the hard drive was. other than that i havent really experienced it, usually my laptop got replaced by something else breaking or just wanting a new laptop before that happened

Back