• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Gym Leaders and Elite Four

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    I'd prefer Wallace as the leader and Juan in some other role that you could still battle him in. Because, if Wallace isn't leader, then he is Champion, and Steven isn't, which I wouldn't like.

They haven't yet revealed Mega Milotic, which is an absolute necessity if Wallace is to be the Champion. I wish Milotic got a Mega rather than some other Pokémon, because she's Gyarados counterpart and Gyarados has one.

Years
    I'd prefer Wallace as the leader and Juan in some other role that you could still battle him in. Because, if Wallace isn't leader, then he is Champion, and Steven isn't, which I wouldn't like.

They haven't yet revealed Mega Milotic, which is an absolute necessity if Wallace is to be the Champion. I wish Milotic got a Mega rather than some other Pokémon, because she's Gyarados counterpart and Gyarados has one.

Not sure if you've been under a rock, but Steven has been confirmed as Champion already :P Although I too am curious about Mega Milotic, if they were to make that its stats would probably be a similar distribution as Mega Gyarados. Given it seems they're going the RS route i'm predicting Wallace will be Gym Leader.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Well, it looks like the first time around, the Elite Four won't have Mega Pokemon, but the second time around they will have Mega Absol, Sableye, Glalie, and Salamence respectively.Here is the pastebin. It also looks like their teams remain relatively the same. (PS, search for their names, don't scroll through the whole pastebin, it's massive)

Years
    Well, it looks like the first time around, the Elite Four won't have Mega Pokemon, but the second time around they will have Mega Absol, Sableye, Glalie, and Salamence respectively.Here is the pastebin. It also looks like their teams remain relatively the same. (PS, search for their names, don't scroll through the whole pastebin, it's massive)

Elite Four's initial teams for those who want to know:

Spoiler:

Sidney, Drake and Steven's teams are identical to the originals, while Phoebe's highest level Dusclops gets replaced by a Dusknoir. Glacia had the biggest change here, with the two Sealeo she had in the originals both being replaced by Froslass.

Last edited:
    Years
    Kinda disappointed with the initial teams I won't lie, but hey, it's nice to see slight updates.

Given Hoenn's Dex was severely lacking in several types (plus at this stage it seems like the only expansion will be the Sinnoh cross-gen evos/pre-evos) it sadly caused the dupes. Of the main Elite Four, Sidney's the only one not to have any dupes because there are a sizable amount of Dark-types in Hoenn.

Glacia and Phoebe sadly on the other hand, have types that are very minimal which means they are left with dupes. They were essentially keeping close to the originals, even the Gym Leaders have almost identical teams to what they had back then.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I love how we're getting E4 rematches, and there's some increase in levels for the latter of the Gym Leaders! I'm glad they have retained the difficulty in these games, even more so increased. As good games as they were, X & Y were too easy.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    Elite Four's initial teams for those who want to know:

Spoiler:

Sidney, Drake and Steven's teams are identical to the originals, while Phoebe's highest level Dusclops gets replaced by a Dusknoir. Glacia had the biggest change here, with the two Sealeo she had in the originals both being replaced by Froslass.

What the actual ****?

Given there's so many more variety of Pokemon particularly of their types now, why the hell would they have two Froslass or two Banette. That's just slack. I know they were in the originals, but wow. It's great that they have 5 Pokemon instead of merely four like in XY but COME ON. L:

Years
    What the actual ****?

Given there's so many more variety of Pokemon particularly of their types now, why the hell would they have two Froslass or two Banette. That's just slack. I know they were in the originals, but wow. It's great that they have 5 Pokemon instead of merely four like in XY but COME ON. L:

I guess you can blame it on the fact they are following the original Hoenn Dex for the main story, which explains Phoebe and Glacia's dupes, since Ghost and Ice-types (and now also Fairy) are the shallowest types in terms of the region's Dex representation.

And here's their rematch teams for those who missed it:

Spoiler:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I guess you can blame it on the fact they are following the original Hoenn Dex for the main story, which explains Phoebe and Glacia's dupes, since Ghost and Ice-types (and now also Fairy) are the shallowest types in terms of the region's Dex representation.

Yeah that's understandable.

But surely it wouldn't be much of a stretch for Gamefreak to slip a few non-Hoenn Pokemon in. I know I sound super butthurt but it's like UGH. I have craved for super hard Elite Four for ages now after Platinum.

Years
    Yeah that's understandable.

But surely it wouldn't be much of a stretch for Gamefreak to slip a few non-Hoenn Pokemon in. I know I sound super butthurt but it's like UGH. I have craved for super hard Elite Four for ages now after Platinum.

I know recent generations' Elite Fours have disappointed many by not being "challenging" but sometimes they still have sneaky tricks to play. I still remember how tough Unova's Elite Four were at times.

But, the thing to remember about remakes is that they tend to stick to close to the regional dex their original version used. In the case of HG/SS the Johto Dex was entirely identical to G/S/C except with the addition of the move-based evos: Mamoswine, Tangrowth, Yanmega, Lickilicky and Ambipom.

FR/LG used the exact same Kanto Dex as R/B/Y used, and it of course drew criticism for not allowing the Pokemon to evolve into 2nd Gen-introduced evos, like Golbat not being allowed to evolve into a Crobat until post-game.

So, we will likely see the original Hoenn Dex here + the following 4th Gen evolution relatives: Gallade, Probopass, Magnezone, Budew, Roserade, Dusknoir, Chingling, Rhyperior and Froslass.

Years
    Well, I saw the Elite Four's movesets, and some of them do look like they may actually be tough despite having dupes. I mean, at least Steven's Aggron doesn't have a silly special moveset again :P

And as for the Gym Leaders? I didn't see abilities for these, except Wallace, and I put the movesets in spoilers just in case you don't want those.
    Spoiler:

That took a little while to type out, i'll comment on the rest in a bit.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I know recent generations' Elite Fours have disappointed many by not being "challenging" but sometimes they still have sneaky tricks to play. I still remember how tough Unova's Elite Four were at times.

But, the thing to remember about remakes is that they tend to stick to close to the regional dex their original version used. In the case of HG/SS the Johto Dex was entirely identical to G/S/C except with the addition of the move-based evos: Mamoswine, Tangrowth, Yanmega, Lickilicky and Ambipom.

FR/LG used the exact same Kanto Dex as R/B/Y used, and it of course drew criticism for not allowing the Pokemon to evolve into 2nd Gen-introduced evos, like Golbat not being allowed to evolve into a Crobat until post-game.

So, we will likely see the original Hoenn Dex here + the following 4th Gen evolution relatives: Gallade, Probopass, Magnezone, Budew, Roserade, Dusknoir, Chingling, Rhyperior and Froslass.

Even still it's a disappointment. I suppose they should be given credit for sticking to the originals though. I'm so glad Wallace is 8th Gym Leader and not champion. :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    One reason as to why X and Y were considered to be easy by a majority, I feel, is their new Experience Share; since it allowed us to train each and every one of our Pokémon equally--each time one would gain some experience, others would be awarded with these things as well, causing them to level-up alongside--the item generally made things feel effortless. Not sure about others, but personally, I liked it!

If they're bringing the same, exact Experience Share system into Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (I feel they will, considering that it's only a feature and doesn't exactly relate to main plot in any way, which they're trying to keep resembling to original games as closely as possible and whatnot), regardless of how well-trained opponents' Pokémon are, things might not wind up to be too difficult. If we do turn it off, however, then yes, they probably will be. Haha.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years

And here's their rematch teams for those who missed it:

Spoiler:
    Gah, how much data did that Demo have? To believe that according to Pokebeach what is in the Demo are only left behind scraps of what is likely to be in the main game...faints...

Well those rematch teams look freighting. I do have an issue with Steven's rematch team not being more Steel oriented. Also that second one...I hope that it get's replaced later on, or is omitted from the full version and another takes it's place. Btw there is a chance that some of these may be wrong as it was obtained from the Demo, which usually includes some beta.

Years
    Well, I saw the Elite Four's movesets, and some of them do look like they may actually be tough despite having dupes. I mean, at least Steven's Aggron doesn't have a silly special moveset again :P

And as for the Gym Leaders? I didn't see abilities for these, except Wallace, and I put the movesets in spoilers just in case you don't want those.
    Spoiler:

That took a little while to type out, i'll comment on the rest in a bit.

Norman's whole team uses Retaliate? Combined with Slaking's impressive stats it's gonna hit like a truck and could likely wipe out something on your team, he's pretty much Lenora 2.0 if that's anything to go by.

Also, Wattson using a Volt Switch strategy like Elesa? Seems like Hoenn learned something from Unova's Gyms. Also, I'm sorta expecting Volt Switch is the TM he hands out after defeating him given I can't think of any other Electric moves that he's likely using.

Still those movesets are nothing to write home about. I'd imagine any future Nuzlockers playing OR/AS could likely expect a death against Norman, and even Wallace's Seaking.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
    Gah, how much data did that Demo have? To believe that according to Pokebeach what is in the Demo are only left behind scraps of what is likely to be in the main game...faints...

Well those rematch teams look freighting. I do have an issue with Steven's rematch team not being more Steel oriented. Also that second one...I hope that it get's replaced later on, or is omitted from the full version and another takes it's place. Btw there is a chance that some of these may be wrong as it was obtained from the Demo, which usually includes some beta.

Well, Iris in BW2 had 3 non-dragon types IIRC...

The rematch levels are exciting. If this is true, this makes Steven the highest leveled champion in rematches, excluding challenge mode or Red. I guess this is done thanks to the new EXP share.

Still, Wally is definitely the more scary one.

EDIT:
    I saw somewhere that Liza and Tate will use a Lunatone and Solrock at Lv45.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Well, Iris in BW2 had 3 non-dragon types IIRC...

The rematch levels are exciting. If this is true, this makes Steven the highest leveled champion in rematches, excluding challenge mode or Red. I guess this is done thanks to the new EXP share.

Still, Wally is definitely the more scary one.

EDIT:
    I saw somewhere that Liza and Tate will use a Lunatone and Solrock at Lv45.
    I would ask what Wally's team looks like...but I rather not fully spoil myself.

Wow...terrifying 0_o...Good thing I'm picking Sceptile and not Blaziken like I did in Emerald...and that they only have those two...right?

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years

Wow...terrifying 0_o...Good thing I'm picking Sceptile and not Blaziken like I did in Emerald...and that they only have those two...right?

Yup... Look below. Also @Pendraflare

Spoiler:

It's not that terrifying to be honest. It is a stark level jump, but Winona has a lot more pokemon than the duo. Plus the two pokemon have quite a number of weaknesses.

Years

For those wondering what Wally's rematch team was, read this:
    Spoiler:

His Gallade's level in these rematches is on par with Red's Pikachu in Gold, Silver & Crystal. Wally is now the second-strongest rival in terms of rematches, behind Barry in Platinum whose starter reaches Lv85 there.

I also heard that the Talonflame has Gale Wings as his ability. I'm not kidding guys, he has a literal competitive-strength Talonflame. The Bright Powder on Roserade is also scary, it makes me definitely want to run Aerial Ace on something.

Wally essentially achieved what no other rival did, and that was actually use held items popular in competitive play.

Also, I expected Tate's Solrock would keep that dreaded Solar Beam which is essentially its counter to Water-types, on top of the twins getting a level buff as well. I kinda like how Tate & Liza run offensively and defensively on their aces respectively.

Back