• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hardest Bosses Ever

Years
  • I'll admit, I don't play games to the exclusion of everything else (cue you all calling me a "filthy casual" or whatever), so I found some bosses in certain games really freaking hard. Here are those bosses.

1) Ul, from Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria.
    Most people nowadays don't know what Valkyrie Profile is - basically, it's a side-scrolling/puzzle platformer RPG, but then goes into a kind of turn-based battle if you touch an enemy, kind of like Final Fantasy (It's made by the same company; go figure). Anyway, one of the first bosses was an archer called Ul. Looking back, I made the fight WAY harder than it should have been because I'd pretty much never played a large video game back then. HOWEVER, Ul was a huge difficulty spike from what the game was like up to that point. If you know how Valkyrie Profile works, then you know that each enemy has a unique attack radius, and as long as you managed to keep away from it every turn, you were free to drink potions and buff your characters and what have you. Most common enemies has a tiny sphere - Ul's sphere took up the entire battle area. Like, the WHOLE thing. There was maybe like a tiny strip where you could retreat to for a turn but it didn't really matter, because he could follow you. On top of having no breathing room, he had all kinds of elemental bow attacks that, depending on your character, could kill you in about three shots. Remembering that you have no room to heal up in this fight............You see where this is going.
    Other Valkyrie Profile fans will argue that the Ethereal Queen is harder. She is. MUCH harder. But I never unlocked that particular bossfight, so I can't comment.

2) Sephiroth, from Kingdom Hearts 2.
    You can see the Enix Games trend I got going on here. Basically, if you didn't have Counterguard, Second Chance/Once More and Berserk, as well as ridiculously high HP and MP, you were f*cked. You didn't have the ever present meat shields of Donald and Goofy in this fight, either. It was just a 15 year old boy with a key up against the One-Winged Angel himself. Seriously, Sephiroth didn't even need to complete his combo to kill you - each hit shaved off about 1/10 of your HP bar. He could also teleport to where you couldn't guard against his attacks, shoot freaking meteors at you, suck you into a flaming pillar and - here's the coup de grace - Knock you down to 1HP in a single attack. To top it all off, he was ridiculously fast and unpredictable, and to this day, he remains one of the only Kingdom Hearts bosses I've never beaten.

3) Anti Black Coat, from Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance.
    Continuing the Enix trend here. Interestingly, I never actually lost to this boss - he was just a b*tch to fight. He could teleport away in the middle of your combo, robbing you of that oh-so-sweet combo finisher that'd give you some breathing room. Thankfully, he targets your Spirits more than most bosses, so that was nice. He could also do a Xemnas-esque Ethereal Blade combo that could come out of nowhere but thankfully was blockable, a kind of shadow-thorn-darkness-pool-thing that was really hard to dodge without Flowmotion, and, like Sephiroth, an attack that could bring you to 1HP. However, Black Coat's version is even worse - it converts the stolen health into HP orbs, which the boss can then heal itself with! Flowmotion was practically required to stay out of his range, but all you had on that front was a low, circular wall. An annoying boss for sure.
    Honourable mention goes to Ansem (Xehanort's Heartless) in the same game. The flying portion was very annoying and his attacks were hard to dodge, and the second phase in the corridor was HELL - He had so many instant-kill moves it wasn't even funny. They were almost all unblockable, too. The only reason I didn't give Ansem an actual place was because he was really easy if you had Triple Plasma and Meteor Crash.

4) Jack Norman, from Resident Evil: Revelations.
    Finally, a game that's NOT Square Enix! Seriously though, Norman is, HANDS DOWN, the hardest boss I've ever faced. At first he's quite slow, so you think, "this'll be easy" - NOPE. Norman can teleport behind you, and if you don't use quick-turn to get into position to shoot him IMMEDIATELY, he'll murder you. What was really annoying about the teleport was that your hit marker would disappear even when he was right in front of you, briefly. This made me waste so many goddamn bullets. And then, later in the fight, he would create clones of himself. They couldn't hurt you, but they were confusing as hell, and, like before, if you took too long before identifying and shooting the correct body, he'd murder you. When Norman does hit you, which is inevitable, it's almost always a knockdown strike, forcing you to button mash to regain your footing while he sets up his next teleport. This was the only boss in the game that forced me to change my weapons halfway through the fight, because all my guns were empty before long - not only because of his brief invulnerability when he's about to warp, but because he has so much HP - I swear, when I finally beat him, about 10 minutes had passed. I died about four times fighting him, too. Overall, an appropriately challenging final boss for one of the most difficult games I've ever played.

Got your own? Tell me!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    THIS MOTHERFUCKER:

latest

I swear that with every new Disgaea game Nippon Ichi spends a fair amount of time figuring out how to make Tyrant Overlord Baal more and more ridiculous. In the first Disgaea he was level 4000 with stats that were roughly 200,000 each and a few nice but level 0 items (for you to steal) and that was it. In the most recently released game, Disgaea D2, he's level 9999 with maxed equipment and roughly 500,000,000 in each stat and about 100 billion HP and 99 movement. He has abilities that allow him to hit your characters as they come out of the base panel and you can't use the same special attack on him twice. Baal also has a few forms/phases, so besides the fact that you have to kill him multiple times in the battle, he also gets a couple of extra things, like inflicting you with a random status effect at the end of each turn, summoning mini-Baals, destroying the base panel, and finally, forcing you to kill him one more time in 10 turns or less or you get a game over. He wasn't even half that strong in the previous entry, Disgaea 4, just to show you Baal's exponential power increases.

Disgaea D2 is arguably the easiest game in the series to power-grind in....but that's honestly not saying much since they keep raising the bar and that it still takes 100s of hours to complete a squad of godly characters. I only have 2 characters that aren't outright annihilated by his attack when you leave the base panel, so lol I'm probably never beating him.

I am scared to see what Baal will be like in Disgaea 5, clearly Nippon Ichi is going to try to make Baal even more absurd....which you might think isn't possible, but oh, they'll find a way

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    while not a single barthandelus fight in ff13 could be considered hard, his first two encounters are annoying because of the length of the battles - if you don't get a good start, then prepare to drag yourself through 20 minutes of repetitive button smashing or restart the battle. he's not a hard boss, but it's the thought of having to get through consistent button smashing without a breather that is daunting. or rather, simply tiring.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • Speaking of hard bosses from the Final Fantasy series, one of the hardest bosses I have fought, but never beat was the first form of Orphan in Final Fantasy XIII. One reason why he is so hard is that he has a certain attack that when used resets the stagger bar. It is really annoying if it is used before I have even staggered him.

Course for another boss in a different game that I found to be hard was Gadflow from Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning. One of the hard parts of the fight is when he uses an attack that takes up multiple spaces of the floor where he is fought.
    Spoiler:

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Speaking of hard bosses from the Final Fantasy series, one of the hardest bosses I have fought, but never beat was the first form of Orphan in Final Fantasy XIII. One reason why he is so hard is that he has a certain attack that when used resets the stagger bar. It is really annoying if it is used before I have even staggered him.

??????????
    orphan is the easiest ff final boss ever lmao
    so long as you discount yu yevon's cheap ass

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • The Demon Bitch in Postal 2: Paradise Lost was insanely difficult in the initial release. The boss has since been patched to be easier but I haven't played since then so I'll talk about the original. Firstly she has a massive health bar, but that's to be expected. Her attacks have a very wide range and tend to fling you into the air. Before the patch this could frustratingly lead to being flung out of the arena and into lava, which kills you instantly. But the level is really awesome despite its weird lag issues, and even revolves around getting The Bitch to break rocks in your path in order to reach the higher levels and supplies. I imagine the fight is way more fun now, but I rather liked it barring the lava deaths. Adding to the challenge is the constantly spawning Zombies, who by the rules of the game only die if you completely destroy their head. So no Machetes haha!

Anyone seeing the word Rattata should note that this is the censor. It's not even that bad of a word grumble grumble grumble...

Yukari

Bass GS from Megaman Battle Network 3 is easily the hardest Boss I've fought so far. His fight was really, really cheap. He has a regenerating 200 damage aura, and since I use a "B" folder I had to counter his attacks with the one 200 Damage Chip I had and then use 2X Hero to deal about 700 damage. I only had about 4 chances to damage him since I only had four of those chips and countering him with the folder I had is an exercise in frustration. Not to mention he deals 200 Damage. So even if you maxed out your health (Like I did) he can still kill you in 5 hits. :c

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Sephiroth is an absolute monster no matter what game I encounter him in. Final Fantasy VII? I was fried by the rays of an overinflated sun and fell victim to cherry tapping. Crisis Core? I died twice, in two totally different ways, and the third time I just got lucky and defeated him after I used up ALL my Elixirs and Ethers (he was the hardest storyline boss in that game if you aren't counting Minerva.) I haven't played any other games he shows up in yet but I just know I'm guaranteed to lose the first time. He's too strong!

He's not the only guy with that kind of streak though. King K. Rool from Donkey Kong Country is a challenging boss as well. He's not too hard NOW, because I memorized all his patterns, but when I first encountered him in each game I went through a ton of lives. How such a fat lizard could change from king to pirate to mad scientist is beyond me, but in each game he has a different skillset that's very hard to get through the first 20 times or so. First game he throws his Oddjob bowler crown at you and murders you with kangaroo hops and giant cannonballs. Second game he has a giant bazooka that fires every single object known to man, from spiked cannonballs to barrels to odd blobs that either slow you down, freeze you in place, or reverse the controls. Third game he just electrocutes you and you have to knock him into his own electrical field. I haven't played DK64 but I'm sure he's hard in that game too.

Wall of Flesh from Terraria was also in that tier of nigh impossibility. It's this giant wall of flesh with two eyes, a beak, and billions of tentacles that chases you across the deepest parts of the earth, and if you don't defeat him before you hit the wall you're dead. I tried over and over to defeat him and eventually just said "screw it!" and just built a platform across Hell so I could finally defeat him and unlock Hardmode. That pile of ugly can just cook to death. :|

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
    Years
  • Speaking of bullet hell games, Hibachi from any DoDonPachi game. One can simply YouTube search it and no words truly need to be explained. Seriously.

I have faced it myself; fun and not fun at the same time.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
  • I'd have to say Lingering Will, from Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix

504px-Lingering_Will_KHIIFM.png

Lemme tell you about the story of this guy here. Lingering Will was damn near impossible for me defeat him when I tried to with the Japanese PS2 version (the only version there was), I never beaten him until Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX came out, It took me nearly 8 years to defeat this guy! I never learned how to loop him properly, How i defeated him I found out from a video of someone getting the game in English early, I never tried to defeat him in the imported version of 2.5 (Yeah i imported it lol). Anyways, the cheap way is Double negative combo way. by the way, equip Negative Combo, and Fenrir.

I made this video showing which ability to use for this cheap trick way.

Anyways, once you set it all up, what you usually do for this trick to work on (imo) one of the hardest boss, is to simply dodge his opening attack, he is random with his attacks, he doesnt have a pattern like other bosses, and optional bosses. But once you either dodge, block or survive his opening attack, get close to him and simply over and over again to jump and and attack.

In the video below, I made the video showing the cheap way in action for my youtube channel lol. the opening attack he happened to use his Ultimate Cannon attack, and Goofy happened to be in the way to block it and send it back at him and hitting him which made it a perfect opening for me to own this boss here.

Anyways, it took me 8 years to defeat him, and I did it the cheap way but a win is a win to me.

some people on youtube explain in full detail on how to loop him and properly defeat him the non-cheap way.

Like Everglow's Guide!

Update: After watching Everglow's guide. I wanted to try to defeat him again without the Double Negative Combo Strategy way, So I tried it the hard long way, and I defeated him in the 2nd try. I felt so relived after 8 years of getting my butt whooped by this guy, that I defeated him!

Last edited:

Zoroark Cutie

The Illusion Fox Skyfarer
    Years
  • There is only one boss that I remember having a hard time completing.

That would be Alpha 154 from Dead or Alive 4. This boss is responsible for making me nearly break my first Xbox 360 controller. She is really fast, can pull combos real easily, can do massive damage to you and will take not much damage from you, and possibly my least favorite part is her counter, she can just cancel you right out of your combo and leave you open to one of her combos, oh and not to mention that if she slams you into the ground, you're gonna take a lot of damage especially if it was part of one of her combos, and that grab from her........that freakin' grab of hers. I forgot how much damage it did, but I remember that it did a lot and was just annoying every time she used it. Just completing the game with every character who had to fight her was a complete chore and a total pain.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • Ruby Weapon FF7. That idiot. THAT MONSTER. It took me weeks to finally beat him. The fight was pretty challenging, one of the good things in FF7.
    Another hard boss fight was Sephiroth in KH, not in kh2. I actually found Sephiroth easier in 2 but man. In 1....
    First of all, you fight him in a pretty small place and he has a long sword. He was really annoying.
    And I dont know about you guys, but I really found Shao Kahn in mortal kombat hard to defeat. He's different than any of the other characters you fought against, you can't do a few tricks you usually do.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • Maybe I'm really a flat out scrub but for it has to be the final boss for Mario & Luigi Partners in Time. The battle seems endless and I can't dodge the attacks to save my poor life. Don't have many of the bros items to help either ;(

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • the final boss in splatoon and hyrule warriors. my eyes were burning last night and today from trying to beat him. i could NEVER beat ganon in hyrule warriors. my bf had to help me. oops.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Any multiple monster arena quest in Monster Hunter, particularly those where player(s) has to fight them simultaneously rather than sequentially. There are endless variations on this theme: Nargacuga & Tigrex, both sexes of the Raths, both variations of Diablos, etc. I think, there's even a triple Deviljho quest in one game.

Rubriko in Infinite Space. It's like in fighting a substituting double-teamer with the prankster ability in Pokemon.

A common theme of difficult fights is the combination of multiple different enemies that are not particularly difficult by themselves.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    When I was a kid: the first boss from Zelda 3. I was scared of that boss. (It lsted around a year or two, I got over it and beat the boss myself.)

Today: there is no real boss battle in this game, but each big monsters can be counted as bosses. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. But if I want the challenge in games, I play a Atlus game (I have a huge variety of Atlus games: P3Fes, P4, P4A, P4UA, EO 1-2-3-4-Untold 1-Mystery Dungeon, Shin Megami games. Someone from Atlus even told they made games that hard because they hate the players, but we love the games because of that. Even the easy difficulty is hard. Difficulty comparison: Atlus Picnic=any other games Normal, Atlus Normal=any other games Hard, Atlus Hard= any other games hellish difficulty, Atlus Hell=off the charts).

But if I had to say the top hardest boss in a game without any diffculty choice, I would go with the Balrog in the original SNES Lord of the Rings game.

Back