• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hardest Gym Leader/Trail Totem in every region

Years
  • Who do you think is the hardest Gym Leader in every region

Kanto - Sabrina
    Johto - Whitney (Morty & Clair are a very close second place)
    Hoenn - Liza & Tate/Norman
    Sinnoh - Candice
    Unova - Drayden/Iris
    Kalos - Olympia
    Alola - Mallow (Lurantis)
    Galar - Raihan

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Who do you think is the hardest Gym Leader in every region

Kanto - Sabrina
    Johto - Whitney (Morty & Clair are a very close second place)
    Hoenn - Liza & Tate/Norman
    Sinnoh - Candice
    Unova - Drayden/Iris
    Kalos - Olympia
    Alola - Mallow (Lurantis)
    Galar - Raihan
    Just letting you know that I moved your thread to Pokemon Gaming Central as that place seems to fit better! :)

Years
  • Tough one!

I think Sabrina is definitely the hardest Kanto leader but I actually have more trouble with Morty than Whitney.

In Sinnoh, it's the same thing with Fantina. She wiped me on the regular.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    • Kanto: Sabrina. Lacks a good way to counter Psychic.
    • Johto: Clair. May slow down your counter with Thunder Wave. Tends not to have a Dragon move for Kingdra.
    • Hoenn: Norman. Hits very hard. Threatens to knock out anything at the drop of a hat without Protect/Detect.
    • Sinnoh: Crasher Wake? Paired Water/Flying and Water/Ground to make it tough for a single Pokemon to carry. Features the first fully-evolved team of the game.
    • Unova: Lenora? Considers Take Down really nasty at that level. Hits you with Retaliate and Hypnosis after that.
    • Kalos: Grant? Deals pretty good damage with Tyrunt. Cannot say Korrina in good faith after using a Ghost-type.
    • Alola: Totem Mimikyu (original). +1 to all stats, Disguise, and Lum Berry. May not be terrible, if not for both partners with Hypnosis. Mentions Alolan Marowak (Ultra) as pretty good too, between being fully evolved very early and a Thick Club. Plays mind games against Z-moves with Detect.
    • Galar: Raihan. Throws a variety of Pokemon at you, along with considerable coverage.

Years
    • Kanto: Sabrina and Koga.
    • Johto: Whitney and Clair.
    • Hoenn: Norman.
    • Sinnoh: Fantina.
    • Unova: Elesa.
    • Kalos: Valerie.
    • Alola: Mallow.
    • Galar: Raihan.
    • Paldea: Tulip.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Oh, boy, should I break this down into by generation? Think I will.

Gen I Kanto: when playing with Charmander, Brock and Misty were impossible. But Sabrina was really hard, too. Her Pokemon are level 50 in Yellow.

Gen II's Kanto: none, really, but Blue can be annoying sometimes.

Gen III Kanto: none were really that hard in FR/LG.

Gen II Johto: Whitney, Jasmine, Clair.

Gen IV Johto: Still Jasmine. Her Steelix is level 35, which is higher than Pryce's entire team...Whitney is also pretty hard and annoying. Rollout has destroyed my entire team many times over.

Gen III Hoenn: Wattson's team gave me so many problems as a kid. Norman was pretty difficult in Emerald, and Tate & Liza are devastating in Emerald, as well.

Gen VI Hoenn: I don't remember struggling with any of the gym leaders in or/as, or maybe it's just been too long for me to remember.

Gen IV Sinnoh: God, Maylene's Lucario destroyed me as a kid, I won't lie about it, Fantina was difficult in Platinum, too, and Byron was a bit of a struggle.

Gen VIII: All of them. I don't think I won a single gym battle on my first try in these games except for Roark. Some of the remake versions of these gym leaders had competitive-ish teams which just was too challenging, if you ask me.

B/W Unova: Lenora is really hard if you're not prepared for her. Elesa with Emolga and Volt Switching out was annoying.

B2/W2 Unova: Still struggled with Elesa, tbh, but Clay in challenge mode when I had a Phione on my team was a very difficult battle. I didn't find Cheren, Roxie or Marlon difficult in these games, though.

Kalos: none of them all of these gym leaders suck, period. I only really struggled with Valerie, tbh because Fairy was new at the time.

Alola: "SUN/MOON ARE EASY/BABY GAMES"... Lurantis was the hardest, if not the most annoying and difficult totem Pokemon ever. But, I struggled with all of them. The stat boosts and Pokemon calling for help made it hard for me to even win on the first try. For Ultra Sun/Moon, I struggled with all the totems, as well.

But, the Island Kahunas in comparison weren't hard.

Galar: I struggled with the latter half of the gym leaders here and there, but none of them were extremely difficult? Raihan is up there, though, with his weather teams. He may as well just be "the weather gym leader" instead of Dragon. But, I found him more difficult in the tournament than the actual gym battle.

I have no comment on Paldea as I haven't bought S/V as of posting this.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • None of the gym leaders are difficult in my opinion, no matter the generation. However, the main gym leader that gave me somewhat of a challenge was Blue, mainly because he doesn't specialize in a single type and has high-level teams.

Back