• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help & Advice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Hey um, anyone here willing to message me about anything and everything? I need so much advice and help and everything, and "seek professional help" is not an option at the moment. Or any time soon. I just really need someone on the outside to talk to and be able to vent to. I am sure there are many but I don't want to start randomly messaging people and making them suddenly really worried for my existence.

Sorry I post so much here too.

No need to be sorry about posting here. Anyway, nothing any of us say is likely to be as useful as professional help but if you need someone to talk to you're always welcome to drop me a message.

Hey guys, I have a bit of a dilemma at the moment... You see, there's this girl at Pokemon club I met back in December of 2014, and we wound up chatting occasionally at club meetings, was preoccupied with another girl at the time, and I didn't develop a crush on her until around March. I finally grew the balls to talk to her regularly around July, and we wound up going to the fair and hanging out at her house in August (on separate days). The thing is, I'm not sure whether or not 1. she will reciprocate the feelings I have for her and 2. when to ask if she wants a relationship with me. We've hung out a lot this past week, the first week back from summer break, but I'm not sure if she really likes me or just thinks of me as a good friend.

Unfortunately in these situations there's usually really only one way to find out. If you've only really sen hanging out for a short time I'd personally wait a bit longer, but if you've been spending time together and talking freely since July and it's now September I think that's been enough. Really all you can do is either ask her or let it go and wonder "what if" for a very long time.

Last edited:

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Hey um, anyone here willing to message me about anything and everything? I need so much advice and help and everything, and "seek professional help" is not an option at the moment. Or any time soon. I just really need someone on the outside to talk to and be able to vent to. I am sure there are many but I don't want to start randomly messaging people and making them suddenly really worried for my existence.

Sorry I post so much here too.

Check your PMs. 8)

Years
Well I'm back again. It turns out that my friend's sister has already had a boyfriend for a month or so. Really sucks because I didn't know of her existence till last week. Oh well :/

Years
So I need some advice from those who have dealt with screen addiction. It's not an urgent problem, for sure. I've been dealing with it for years and I feel it's become increasingly worse, that's all.

Anyway, my problem is that I am addicted to screens. By that I mean computer screens, television screens, mobile device screens, any sort of screens. As long as I'm staring at a screen, I'm happy. I don't even need to be doing anything as long as I'm sitting down at my computer/playing on my DS/binge watching tv series with snacks. I don't even want to do anything else. I can separate myself from it, but I always find myself distracted when doing other things, as well as coming up with excuses for why I should go back on the computer.

This is making me sick and antisocial and I need some advice on how to stop it. Thanks!

If you think you spend an unhealthy amount of time on the computer etc, then really the only way to deal with it is to stop doing it. Try finding a hobby or something that forces you to step away from any sort of screen.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
Years
This is making me sick and antisocial and I need some advice on how to stop it. Thanks!
This is actually becoming a well-documented experience; they're either putting it in the next version of the DSM or it already is, I forget. The point is, there are many people in our modern society now that feel the need to be connected to a screen all the time - it's a compulsion. Like any other compulsion, you either have to slowly ween yourself away if it is indeed causing you distress, or seek assistance from a professional if possible.

You're not alone though, if that helps.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Should I leave this site?

I've been considering for a while: Should I leave?

I have been very busy lately, for one thing, and for another, it seems like you guys aren't appreciating me. The 'praise the user above you' hasn't been open for a LONG time since I've posted, some of your bans to me have sounded more like INSULTS lately, I have been distracted by a lot of stuff(My nuzruns, other websites, studying, etc.) nowadays, and I feel I should pretty much ditch this place, save for the Pokémon Trivia forum.

Well thankfully, I still like this place more than my previous forum. But now I'm starting to miss it because of all this. Should I leave the forums?

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 31, 2016
I don't think you can say that nobody wants you here from just that. The whole Banned game is not supposed to be serious at all and being busy with other things is completely fine. Also, absconding from a forum for stupid reasons isn't gonna make anything better, trust me.

Reactions: Sun

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
Years
sum of positive things - sum of negative things (not in a double negative way tho I doubt you made that consideration anyway) = ???

firstly consider all the good things about here that you love and enjoy and would miss if you were not here.
then, consider all the bad things about here that you dislike and cause you great distress and would be liberating if you were not to be here

compare the two. reach a conclusion as follows:

a: the good things outweigh the bad. then stay with us.
b: you can't reach a firm conclusion. take a little break?
c: the bad things outweigh the good. fly. fly away.

it's not down to a public opinion poll whether you should stay or not. nor is it the responsibility of other people to assess how silly/reasonable your thoughts are for you in a personal context. take more responsibility for your life decisions. you'll learn more that way. one day you'll cringe at the post you just made, and I think you know that. but the art of thinking critically like this is a good thing to do. gl hf.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Well I didn't expect to get reponses so quickly. So I guess I will think about it. I doubt I would regret making this, but still.

Oh, and another thing I forgot to put down, but it's a bit of a silly thing-I've never gotten a funny answer in the 'ask a stupid question' thread. Though I guess it's because I always get silly answers in my old forum's stupid questions thread, but still, yeah, maybe I should just think.

Years
I understand this because my time here on PC started not so good, where I was in fear after apparently breaking rules and attracting negative attention from some staff (in fact, there was a smod a few years ago that I downright had a fear of because he slapped me for stuff I wouldn't consider rule-breaking) and then I had another panic attack earlier this year that made me want to strip back activity and consider if I'm even worthy enough. I did get enough encouragement to stick around so if you're fearing mod power abuse, remember that a higher-up is there to assist you if you're concerned about a mod.

Years
I don't think you should leave because of those reasons, they're pretty small actually.
But it's your choice.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
PC isn't an obligation. No contract holds you here. You don't need to enjoy every aspect of the forum, either. You can come just for Trivia and still be a member that we appreciate. Have you checked out our Challenges forum, since you run Nuzlockes? You may enjoy it, if not.

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
Years
"it seems like you guys aren't appreciating me."

lol if you want to be appreciated by more users talk to more people via VM, friend more people, post more often all over the board, start new threads, and go to our PS server and say hi (most of us there are very extremely although the chat gets craaaaaazy sometimes).

Reactions: Sun
Years
You know, there are some rules on the internet forums you should learn by yourself. Some of them may require the way you behave. I've learned some in hard way too.

Keep your distance, and have distance for yourself too. Most of those threads aren't even serious, same with people.
If you can't response to an insult with the right retort (basically you've been verbal'd) don't say anything and leave the thread, you won't give the satisfaction to the one who insulted you.
Try to post somewhere else you feel you have some knowledge at.
If you want appreciation, start talking to people via other means.
If you don't have time, just ditch it. That's what I do and I don't even say when I'm going to be absent or when I'm coming back to posting anymore, it's pointless.

The main factor lies in you.

Years
This seems a bit more fitting as a post in the advice thread than as a topic of its own so I'm going to move it there.

Other than that all I can say is that ultimately it's your choice. I don't like the idea of anyone not enjoying their time on PC and would love to see you stick around and enjoy things, but if you're not having fun here it's up to you whether or not you stay or go.

Years

I have been very busy lately, for one thing, and for another, it seems like you guys aren't appreciating me. The 'praise the user above you' hasn't been open for a LONG time since I've posted, some of your bans to me have sounded more like INSULTS lately, I have been distracted by a lot of stuff(My nuzruns, other websites, studying, etc.) nowadays, and I feel I should pretty much ditch this place, save for the Pokémon Trivia forum.

Well thankfully, I still like this place more than my previous forum. But now I'm starting to miss it because of all this. Should I leave the forums?

Threads dying is a pretty regular thing in active forums. Sometimes it's just people being lazy or otherwise disinterested in the thread, sometimes it's that people who were interested in the thread have found themselves super-busy offline or elsewhere on the forum, and sometimes it's just that people forget for a few days and then it falls out of the "This Thread Has a Recent Post" section of the board, and people tend to not check past the bottom of that list.

I've made over 25,000 posts and I've accidentally killed hundreds of threads in the past. It's just something that happens. Nothing to do with you.

Also, if people are insulting you, report them. Netto and I can't be everywhere in The Playground all the time. The report button exists to alert staff to potential rule-breaking.

It's entirely up to you whether you leave, though.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 5, 2015

I don't think anyone here can decide this for you.. People can try to convince you you're not being insulted, that you aren't being appreciated, but in the end you have your own definition of insult and appreciation. Everyone does.

It's still important to think of what you're getting out of Pokecommunity. The question isn't "should I leave?", it's "is it worth it to stay?" What do the forums do for you? Are you gaining enough out of the forums to justify being insulted?

If you do leave, then be careful about going back to your old forum. I'm assuming you left for a good reason. It might be best to find a new forum, or just stop using forums altogether. Your distractions might be more important right now. Again, no one can decide that for you.

Whatever you choose, good luck.

天 (Caine)

Flower Child
Years
Hey guys,

This may be a bit more serious but I'd really like some advice. I really dislike airing my dirty laundry in public, but I really don't have anyone else to turn to for this issue. My girlfriend of four years left me last week for another man. She left me a message on Facebook which was her confession to having feelings for this other man and that she needs time apart from me to figure out what she wants. She sent this message overnight so I wouldn't have time to respond, and she changed her phone number and blocked me on all social media. I took the hint and washed my hands clean of her, she has no way of contacting me either. I'm done with her, but I'm having a very, very difficult time moving on. This is the first time that I've ever had my heart shattered, and I've been trying to keep busy but everything is reminding me of her. I've been trying to keep busy and I've got a lot of love from my family, but it's still very difficult to accept and heal.

Now for my question. Her and I used to play video games all the time together. She's the reason why I bought a 3DS and Pokemon, I wanted her and I to play together and we did. When I play video games, no matter what it is, it reminds me of my ex and it just tears me apart. I really want to play Pokemon again but it's too painful right now. How do I cope and move past this? I want to enjoy video games again, but I'm just having a hard time playing by myself. I've tried to play video games again but it just depresses me even more. I really want to move past this and enjoy gaming again, but I'm just not sure how to do it. How do I move on and enjoy gaming again?

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
Years
Hey guys,

This may be a bit more serious but I'd really like some advice. I really dislike airing my dirty laundry in public, but I really don't have anyone else to turn to for this issue. My girlfriend of four years left me last week for another man. She left me a message on Facebook which was her confession to having feelings for this other man and that she needs time apart from me to figure out what she wants. She sent this message overnight so I wouldn't have time to respond, and she changed her phone number and blocked me on all social media. I took the hint and washed my hands clean of her, she has no way of contacting me either. I'm done with her, but I'm having a very, very difficult time moving on. This is the first time that I've ever had my heart shattered, and I've been trying to keep busy but everything is reminding me of her. I've been trying to keep busy and I've got a lot of love from my family, but it's still very difficult to accept and heal.

Now for my question. Her and I used to play video games all the time together. She's the reason why I bought a 3DS and Pokemon, I wanted her and I to play together and we did. When I play video games, no matter what it is, it reminds me of my ex and it just tears me apart. I really want to play Pokemon again but it's too painful right now. How do I cope and move past this? I want to enjoy video games again, but I'm just having a hard time playing by myself. I've tried to play video games again but it just depresses me even more. I really want to move past this and enjoy gaming again, but I'm just not sure how to do it. How do I move on and enjoy gaming again?

It's going to hurt for months, and there is no way to cheat the system and avoid the emotional repercussions of being so close to someone and having them crash out of your life. It's not at all right of her to have done that in such a sudden and cruel manner to you, but there's no point getting mad about it.

Personally I'd probably want a little closure and would actually talk to her in a couple of weeks in your shoes. They say the best way to face your fears is to overcome them directly, and I think it's the same for your emotional pain. Even if she's really unpleasant to you... that might make it easier to handle in the grand scheme of things.

There'll be a time, maybe months, maybe even a year or so where you'll feel everything is fine again, and you'll play games and reflect on it as the happy time it was rather than feeling bitter and upset about it. I can only wish you all the best with moving on from this.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 5, 2015
Hey guys,

I can't possibly relate to something like this, but I'm going to try anyways. Bear with me while I babble like an idiot.

A good amount of years ago, my sister was still in high school. This isn't one of those high school love drama stories, though. No, my sister decided to settle for only the best; a random dude she met on Xbox Live. You probably see where this is going. In retrospect, it made sense. She was an Honors student who feared the dreaded "B" grade. My district's high school has plenty of opportunities but little student interest. She had superficial friends and real problems she wanted an escape from. A boyfriend from outside her life seemed like the perfect answer.

Surprise! He broke up with her. I was only in middle school at the time, yet I still remember those first few days. Everyone in the family tried to cheer her up every way they could. I remember we all went to a restaurant together and got her favorite dish, homemade mac & cheese, the restaurant quality stuff. And she said, "It just doesn't make me happy anymore". She couldn't bring herself to play video games anymore. Visibly, it was only a couple days, though knowing my family she could have been hiding the pain for months.

A couple months later, she starts getting messages from her old boyfriend. He wants to get back together. I can't imagine how hard that decision would be. I think that's when she knew. Why would she want to be with someone who caused her such pain? She says no, and sure enough, her boyfriend gets desperate. He goes from "please take me back!" to "I will ****ing kill you if you don't take me back". I haven't really thought about it until now, but she must have been struggling. But would she have really helped him if they got back together? They would have brought each other down, crippled each other. I can't begin to imagine what it was like in her shoes.

I'm not going to pretend her story is your story. If we all had the same, exact experiences in life, we'd all see things and we all feel about things the same way. I've hope I've explained my experience. If it helps, she's gotten a four-year full ride to a top 100 school, and a new boyfriend. I don't even know how she did it. But I truly think love is a drug. Like any addiction, it takes time. There could be relapses, and you'll need to be strong through them. Get help, someone who can be there with you. If there's no one you can trust, get a psychologist, and make sure it's a good psychologist too. If you can't get a psychologist, try a shot in the dark. Maybe a co-worker, I don't know, I'm not living your life. I'm just rambling at this point.

But there is one thing I think I know. If video games are making you depressed, then maybe you shouldn't try to play video games now. You don't need to accelerate the healing process if it's going to drive you over the edge. You will be able to play video games one of these days, but it doesn't have to be today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back