• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hopes for the Sun/Moon anime.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • What are your hopes for the Sun/Moon anime? It's airing in about a month, give or take! So, what are some things you hope happen this time around?

Florges

The Garden Pokémon
    Years
  • I really hope the animation picks up. Judging from the commercials for it, it flows very well. The only issue is I really hate the Studio Trigger style. I prefer the characters to be based off their character models. I guess really it's just trying to get used to the animation.

Another thing is I don't want it to be fully comedy based. I loved XY because of the serious tones it had. If the comedy is based on what was shown in XY, I will be fine. I still want there to be serious undertones if possible.

I do not have any hope that the anime will meet my expectations. It feels like it's going to be BW all over again, which I fear the most. XY restored my faith in the anime.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    It would be fun if they brought back some classic characters for guest appearances but it's not likely. I hope they do have something special for the franchise's 20th anniversary. Also, a balance between the more serious tone of XY and something a little more fun and laid back.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • Since next year will be the anime's 20th anniversary, I'm hoping it will pay some kind of homage to the original series. I'm also hoping Ash will have a similar personality to what he had in the original series because I thought his mature personality in XY seemed a bit bland.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Since next year will be the anime's 20th anniversary, I'm hoping it will pay some kind of homage to the original series. I'm also hoping Ash will have a similar personality to what he had in the original series because I thought his mature personality in XY seemed a bit bland.

Does that also include screwing up in battles, because that was what made fans hate the BW anime when he was reverted back to his old self. Ash retaining his battle smarts is what I hope for the Sun and Moon anime.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • Does that also include screwing up in battles, because that was what made fans hate the BW anime when he was reverted back to his old self. Ash retaining his battle smarts is what I hope for the Sun and Moon anime.
    Yeah I hope for that too. One thing I used to find funny was when Ash teased or insulted Misty and I think it would be hilarious if he did something like that to Lillie or someone else.

Years
  • Like Florges said, I'm worried this series will end up as a BW clone for me. I hated BW for a reason like everyone else said, and that was Ash's total reset (that Elesa Gym battle episode still spites me to this day). Also, XY's lack of continuity shoutouts makes me hope SM will have some since this is the anime's 20th anniversary season.

Alola having no Gyms is the main reason for Ash's journey changing so drastically, and I'm worried the school idea will be a flop with me.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • Does that also include screwing up in battles, because that was what made fans hate the BW anime when he was reverted back to his old self. Ash retaining his battle smarts is what I hope for the Sun and Moon anime.

They should just down play his strengths at least (He 'is' in school to learn)... And, Not completely revert him into a lesser version of himself. I hope Sun & Moon Ash/Satoshi retains the battle maniac nature of his XY iteration...

(I have a theory that Ash/Satoshi is secretly a time lord and he regenerates after every other series XD)

It would be fun if they brought back some classic characters for guest appearances but it's not likely. I hope they do have something special for the franchise's 20th anniversary. Also, a balance between the more serious tone of XY and something a little more fun and laid back.

I'd like for a the series to shift in tone tho... Starting from a light hearted school anime. then, shifting to a more serious tone when the ultra beasts/Evil Org. arrives.

Wouldn't it be fun for the old characters to show up in the show with their new designs. i.e May showing up with her ORAS outfit or Misty with shorter hair like in HG:SS.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • I'd like it to be written well. And I wrote more than I anticipated so spoilered (also because I did reference an undubbed episode).

Spoiler:

As for SM, I want characters with personality (which from the trailers it looks like we're getting), good battle logic from Ash (as opposed to his standard dodge and attack, some of the stuff in the Kalos league was fun to watch) and a pretty close group who call each other out on stuff/argue every now and again (the XY group don't feel real to me because they pretty much always agree on everything that leader Ash says - it makes them boring to watch. Heck, Clemont almost never argues with Bonnie when it makes the most sense for him to because of the sibling relationship). Also continuity is good to see.

Years
  • Hopes for the sun moon anime?

I have many stories in my mind now for the new Pokémon series. I can't choose one of the stories. These stories may not follow the story of Pokémon moon and sun. I have summarized the stories.

The return of our old characters and Pokémon.
    The success of Ash & his friends in achieving their goals and dreams.
    Ash catching legendary Pokémon.
    An Awesome story for the evil organisation.
    Ash becoming famous.
    The return of the Pokémon contest.
    The return of the battle frontier.
    The return of the Pokémon rangers in the anime. I don't like the games. I like the episodes that feature the Pokémon rangers.
    The appearance of the player characters of the games like:
    Red • Leaf • Ethan • Kris • Lyra • Brendan • May • Lucas • Dawn • Hilbert • Hilda • Nate • Rosa • Calem • Serena
    The return of N.
    The appearance of Ash's Dad.
    The return of Oh-Oh.
    Ash becoming a special trainer again. Ash getting some focus, personality and improvements.
    The return of the GS ball.
    Ash choosing a girlfriend. No more new girls.
    Pikachu to have a successor.
    The return of team aqua and magma.
    Ash entering the Pokémon contest to improve his skills.
    Gym leaders to get back their roles as leaders & teachers. Of course: no gyms are in the next series.

The Pokémon contest got many improvements in the anime. Then, they throw all of these improvements away. Same goes for the Pokémon rangers and the battle frontier. I don't like to see whatever great improvements in Pokémon turning to a forgotten history.

Ash and his new friends organising journeys to uncover the secrets of the Pokémon world.

Old characters and Pokémon to have new stories. For example: the story of Misty and a legendary water Pokémon.

Ash returning to his original goal of becoming a Pokémon master. I don't like to see him as a great student after 20 years.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    I want it to be as fresh and interesting as the last two shows were. I'm probably in the minority but I actually enjoyed a lot of Best Wishes. There were certain places that annoyed me but it was the first time in ages I found myself speeding through a season. XY(&Z) then made things fresh once again by giving us a pretty competent Ash from the onset, someone unique in Serena, great on off episodes, and spectacular moments animation.

I know there's been a lot of pessimism towards Sun and Moon as an anime, and I get why, it's a school show and the animation looks different to people, but don't forget that this is Pokemon. A school anime set in the world of Pokemon is never going to be like your ordinary school anime. The animation also looks particularly great. The show's using ToonBoom for animation now and that allows for such a variety of techniques never before seen in the show. Whether or not the animation can be sustained over the course of such a long running series is yet to be seen, but I've got a lot of hope that it'll at least look nice more often than not.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I am really really hoping emotions come through a lot more. They brought back the crying in XY and XYZ and I loved it. I missed emotion so much. I want them to bring the emotion to a whole new level for the pokemon anime.

Pokemon Personalities - They did this in Unova, but only a few really shined, mainly Ash's Scraggy which seemed to be in every freaking episode after it hatched without evolving. They did an amazing job with it in XY and XYZ. Although, some lacked. I loved the pokemon having personalities again.

Pikachu's love for Ketchup. I have said this a thousands times already, but with Sun and Moon being more comedy right now, I am really really hoping ketchup comes back. Especially since one of the newest endings brought back Pikachu and a forest of ketchup.

Story - With no gyms, I think there really needs to be a story or story arcs. They have done this with Unova and Kalos, and they need to do it again. Especially now. I don't want every episode to have its own story and feel like it is in a totally different world like a lot of kid shows. It needs to have a story.

Uniqueness to the main character's pokemon - I would love to see more accessories on pokemon. And not just for show. I liked how Pignite's belt showed in Unova. I liked how Krookodile's sunglasses were unique. Pancham's glasses, Squirtle's glasses, ect. I want to see more uniqueness to the main character's pokemon. Like with Hawlucha in last weekends episode, he was wearing a cape and mask when he entered the battle. It would have been nice for it to have stayed on the entire battle.

Less uselessness for pokemon - Before I say anything, let me make it clear that I loved Ash's Kalos team and his Unova Pokemon. But some of them really got crapped on. Out of the entire saga, Hawlucha won maybe 3 battles. The anime made me love Hawlucha a lot more, but making him lose almost every single battle he was in was just bad. Pokemon also need to be shown more if caught and actually develop. Noivern got like 6 episodes, if that since Ash hatched it out of the Egg. And all though it got development, it was just left out a lot. At one point I thought the writers had forgotten they gave Ash Noibat.

I want him to catch more than 5 pokemon, but I want them all to be shown equally. Sinnoh did an amazing job with that in my opinion. Not only that, but he had 7 pokemon other than Pikachu and they all got some nice development. Unova he caught more pokemon, but almost all of them got more development than most of his Kalos Pokemon. If they are going to skip over pokemon like they did in Kalos and shaft them still with only 5 pokemon, I would rather him catch more pokemon.

More Character Dev - The main characters need to have devopment. With Sun and Moon possibly having a Group of 5 Traveling companions with Ash, there desperatley needs to be development for them. They don't need to wait till the second season to develop a character. Serena was an amazing character and she was left out until after the second season. If they are going to give character personality, they need to keep it. When Serena was first shown in XY, she had an amazing personality, but when she joined Ash, it just all vanished without a trace. The only reason a personality trait should change, if it is shown. Serena's just vanished.

There needs to be story, pokemon and character development, deep emotions, and uniqueness. If Sun and Moon can do all of that, combine everything they have learned from Unova and Kalos, Sun and Moon will be one of the best shows are television.

Last edited:
    Back