• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

how do you choose your favorite Pokémon?

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
  • It's all about nostalgia for me. Serperior was my first, so Serperior is my favorite. Probably why grass is my favorite type. Nostalgia aside, Breloom is my favorite for design, and overall competitive annihilation.

CptSwaggerPants

Hi, I'm John Wayne..JK, I CAMP
    Years
  • Sometimes by design but really when I know that with hard work me and that Pokemon could win any battle together, is when I choose my favorite Pokemon.

Years
  • I choose pokes depending on how much I need them and how they cover all the battles upto the Elite Fours for me. It does not matter what shape, design, height etc it has or even low EVs

Shizzable

The Derpiest One Of All
    Years
  • I usually choose based on typing, design, and use in battle. Logically, Metagross should be my favorite, consisting of 2 of my favorite types, an awesome design, and great use in battle. However, for some reason, I like Aggron more. Even though I don't care for Rock type and it has limited use in battle, Aggron wins me over with its amazing design and pure awesomeness. I guess there's some kind of attachment some people like me feel to certain Pokemon even though logic says otherwise :P

Meaii

The countdown begins ...
    Years
  • My favourite Pokémon are based on design, cuteness, stats and type. If they have an original design, I like them, if they are extremely cute, I like them, if they have good stats all round, I like them, and if they're a Fire Type, I love them! :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2024
    My favourites are usually Pokémon that piqued my interest. I fell in love with Chikorita because of Ash's Chikorita in the anime. I actually hated her at first but I've slowly grown to like her. She's been my favorite starter ever since and I always pick her (and SR to make sure I get a Female one if needed xD) on every Johto playthrough.
    As for my all-time favourite Pokémon, Glaceon... I've always been in love with Eevee and its evolutionary line. And I've always loved the Ice type so when they made an ice type Eeveelution, I was awe-struck and immediately fell in love with the cute thing <3 Flareon used to be my favourite Eeveelution until Glaceon showed up xD
    I tend to like Pokémon that seem interesting to me, Pokémon that were featured in the anime and made me love them (like Wobbuffet and Wynaut *-*) or simply, Pokémon that I find cute.
    I'd much rather play my Pokémon games with teams made of my favorite Pokémon rather than strong Pokémon xD

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2014
    1. Style

2. Usefulness

3. Whether or not I've used it before (I try and use a new team on every playthrough).

Diamondite

Black Diamond
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2013
    For me, choosing a favourite Pokémon is a pretty hard thing. It depends on the generation, the type, and the evolution. Personally, I dont like the newer generations, because its the same design everytime! And come on, a DEER on the cover? So, yea I choose from my personality, the type, and the evolution. I honestly don't care if its powerful or not.

Years
  • I think it's more of an aesthetic thing than anything else for me. I also don't like anything that too... "cluttered". Simplicity for me is something that I can get into, when it comes to the look of a Pokémon. Take Snorlax for example. Just looks like a fat teddy bear. But he has to be one of my favorites.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I don't really "choose" my favourite pokémon - it just happens. In most cases, its a combo of nice design and not being completely useless at in-game battling. Design gets me first though, hence why no matter how useful it may be I'll never like Patrat, or Bidoof (don't get how people find it "cute"). And some pokémon that don't initially stand out such as Magmortar, can win me over in part due to their battling prowess.

ImBlue

dabbadeedabadai
    Years
  • I have a hard time ever choosing a favorite, although I generally favor Pokemon that have done well for me in game (thus Hypno is actually one of my favorites, Ice Punch in Generation II with his special destroys). Although I admit that I try to avoid liking Pokemon that are really popular elsewhere.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • I don't choose my favorite Pokemon. Crobat for example may be disliked due to how annoying Zubat is in caves (hence "A wild Zubat appeared!"), but it's my favorite Pokemon due to how cool it looks(bat + 4 wings + eyes + not having a stupid mouth? AWESOME). It's also not too shabby in-game and is very good competitively, especially in UU.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    My favourite Pokémon, for instance, is Celebi. In battle, it can hold ground with Leech Seed and Nasty Plot, maybe, but it has a whopping seven weaknesses, having the most number of weaknesses in the game. But, I quite like it's design and the "foresty" and natural feel it presides, just like Xerneas, and that design soothes me. I quite think that it's typing is better as Grass/Fairy, though. But more of that later. This shows that I go for design and the little-cute-little-cool type of Pokémon.

But, I like Swampert as well, or Mudkip to be exact, and that closely follows Celebi, much because I like all Hoenn Pokémon and Water and Ground types. This means that typing means a lot to me too, whether it be crippling or not.

But like quite a few before me have said, I get chosen by my favourite Pokémon. This also means that I don't gradually grow to like a certain Pokémon, it's at first sight my final judgement is made.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Mostly design/looks determine my favorite Pokemon. If it's one of my favorite types, ie Dark, then that can be a factor too, but it's mostly how the Pokemon looks. For example, my favorite Pokemon is Treecko I just really like it's design and how much cooler it looked compared to the other Grass starters and most of the starters in general imo. Or for Braviary, one of my favorite Flying types, I loved how badass it looked and feel in love with it based on just that.

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2013
    Mine were based on design before I started playing, but lately, they become one of my favorites if I end up getting one and using it on my team.

For example, I couldn't have cared less about Totodile before I played my first game, but I grew so attached to mine that it's now my absolute favorite. That's how most of my favorite pokemon became my favorites, except for my Houndoom -- I worked a lot to catch him because I liked his design.

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years
  • I judge them off design, but not after the animal they're based off of. I l tend to like human-ish pokemon (i.e: Zangoose, Lucario, Blaziken, etc.) more that completely unhuman. I'd rather have chubby than skin and bones (not fat, like slaking or ....ughhh.... Purugly, more like gen 1 pikachu), uniqueness (for the most part) and overall coolness.

Back