• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"How does ___ not have this move?"

Years
  • If this isn't thread revival, there is one that needs mention: Aerodactyl and Brave Bird and/or Head Smash. That would make it an amazing user of the move thanks to Rock Head, but alas, it doesn't get them and we're stuck with almost nothing ability-wise for it to take advantage of.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    If this isn't thread revival, there is one that needs mention: Aerodactyl and Brave Bird and/or Head Smash. That would make it an amazing user of the move thanks to Rock Head, but alas, it doesn't get them and we're stuck with almost nothing ability-wise for it to take advantage of.

And then Rampardos gets Head Smash but not Rock Head, despite it being based on a Pachycephalosaurus and its Pokedex entries state it has an incredibly hard head:

"Its skull withstands impacts of any magnitude. As a result, its brain never gets the chance to grow. "
    "Its skull is as hard as iron, it is a brute that tears down jungle trees while catching prey."

#Game Freak logic

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • Marowak really needs head smash. It makes sense with the design, it has the perfect ability for it, and it would give it a much needed power boost.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I actually became quite upset the other day because I didn't realize that Gardevoir can't learn ice beam (outside of Gale of Darkness) until I leveled up mine in Emerald and never learned as well as couldn't teach him it. It just doesn't make sense why it shouldn't be able to know it.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • Black Kyurem and Ice Fang. Why does it not get Ice Fang? Kyurem's physical movepool is so bad, Game Freak. Why did you not give it a non-crappy physical Ice attack? Especially when Zekrom gets Thunder Fang and Reshiram gets Fire Fang.

That would make sense, but I'd prefer Ice PUNCH. I mean, Black Kyurem's arms are basically blocks of ice, with finger thingies. Why, Game Freak, why? I hate having to run mixed Kyurem.

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    Here's a few:

-Ampharos with Dazzling Gleam and Tail Glow

-Helioptile and Heliolisk with Morning Sun/Synthesis

-Hawlucha with Brave Bird (Mach Punch and Drain Punch would be nice too)

I'm sure there are more that I can't think of right now..........

EDIT: Gallade with Cross Chop

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Garchomp not learning Dragon Dance would have to be a particular oddity that comes to mind if you ask me.

Edit: Damn it too slow.

Okay if I had to name another few it would be Entei not knowing Earthquake and Vaporeon not knowing Calm Mind off the top of my head.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • Where is my V-Create Darmanitan? I mean, those brows. I know V-Create's a move reserved for legendary Pokemon, but Darmanitan has the shape to use it :(

Meksal

What do you mean this thing is priceless? *Nom nom
    Years
  • Why can Mesprit learn ice beam, but Azelf can't?

Why can't combee learn fly? I mean, I know it's small, but pidgeys can learn it, so why not combee? They have wings.

LetsPlayALoveGame

Wielder of the Disco Stick
    Years
    • Age 31
    • he/him
    • Texas
    • Seen Mar 9, 2023
    Give Mantine Hurricane and I bet a million Pokedollars he'll go up a tier. He's already a fantastic rain team member with his Swift Swim negating his low speed, and boosted STAB Hydro Pump, why not give him a STAB special Flying-type move that always hits in rain and has the added chance to confuse? It makes perfect sense to give him this move!

Side note - Gotta love how long it took GF to give Flareon Flare Blitz, and people still insist it isn't good. As a staple of my sun team, my own Flareon loves to prove them wrong. xD

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Garchomp and Fly.
    "Its body is covered in fine scales that reduce drag, enabling it to fly at high speeds." - HeartGold/SoulSilver dex entry
    "It flies at speeds equal to a jet fighter plane. It never allows its prey to escape." - Pokemon Y dex entry

So...why can't it learn fly, if it can apparently fly at speeds higher than Mach 1? If the Pokedex says it can, why doesn't the game allow it? :\

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Give Mantine Hurricane and I bet a million Pokedollars he'll go up a tier. He's already a fantastic rain team member with his Swift Swim negating his low speed, and boosted STAB Hydro Pump, why not give him a STAB special Flying-type move that always hits in rain and has the added chance to confuse? It makes perfect sense to give him this move!

Side note - Gotta love how long it took GF to give Flareon Flare Blitz, and people still insist it isn't good. As a staple of my sun team, my own Flareon loves to prove them wrong. xD

The reason why Flareon still sucks even with Flare Blitz is because its low Speed and low HP means that damage from opposing attacks and Flare Blitz recoil will eat away at its longevity fast.

Why Can't Druddigon or Scyther Learn Fly When They Obviously Have Large Visible Wings?
    Yet You See Golurk (The 700 Pound Chunk of Metal and Rock) Flying With Ease Throughout the Skies.

Dodrio Can Learn Fly As Well (Despite the Fact That Its Based on a Flightless Bird and Has No Wings) Maybe It's Heads Function Like Propellers On a Helicopter and It Spins Them Around to Fly?

What About Mew? The Floating Pink Cat? How Does That Manage to Fly?
    Or Perhaps You Were Wondering How Genesect Learned Fly? Perhaps It Reverses Its Blaster and Launches Itself Using It Like a Jetpack.

Well With This Logic You Would Think Girafarig Could Learn Fly, or Maybe Dugtrio?

Lol XD

It Is Clearly Shown That Druddigon and Scyther Have Wings, So Why Can't They Fly?
    Just because a Pokemon has wings doesn't mean it uses them for flight. Druddigon mainly uses its wings to absorb sunlight.

Anyway, I don't get how Zangoose can't even learn Cut, even though it clearly has claws. I also don't get why Blastoise and Torterra can't have Shell Smash.

Years
  • Garchomp and Fly.
    "Its body is covered in fine scales that reduce drag, enabling it to fly at high speeds." - HeartGold/SoulSilver dex entry
    "It flies at speeds equal to a jet fighter plane. It never allows its prey to escape." - Pokemon Y dex entry

So...why can't it learn fly, if it can apparently fly at speeds higher than Mach 1? If the Pokedex says it can, why doesn't the game allow it? :\

Low to the ground flight much like a flying tackle or pounce. Not high enough.
    Think of comics and The Flash. Or "Holy Bazinga! Pee dance! Pee dance!"

Not that Garchomp has a small bladder... sharks pee through their skin... OMG... just-peed sand sharks using peed-in sand attacks...

Pillodox

Ruff
    Years
  • I don't understand why Magikarp doesn't have any decent water type moves like other water types. It's racist.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • Garchomp and fly. Appearently he can fly with his "wings" i have yet to see like a jet plane.
    So why on earth can't he grab a lil trainer with him?!

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    Give Mantine Hurricane and I bet a million Pokedollars he'll go up a tier. He's already a fantastic rain team member with his Swift Swim negating his low speed, and boosted STAB Hydro Pump, why not give him a STAB special Flying-type move that always hits in rain and has the added chance to confuse? It makes perfect sense to give him this move!

I suppose Flareon's just in an unfortunate position where it has to compete with Arcanine as a Flare Blitz user. And man, did Arcanine lose that attention as soon as Entei was found to now be able to learn Sacred Fire.

Has no one even mentioned how ridiculous it is that Pangoro can't learn any of the Elemental Punches despite having the Iron Fist ability? I'm not even sure if it can learn more than 2 moves that can be considered "punching" moves. It made my dear Valerie sad.

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
    Years
  • Skuntank and Gunk Shot.

No, not even by Move Tutor can it learn that. If Liepard of all things can fling gunk at its opponent, why shouldn't the skunk that is known for spraying vile things from its tail and that is actually a Poison-type be able to? I'm over here scratching my head.

...And Stunky and Poison Jab, for that matter. If my Ekans can use it without arms, Stunky should most definitely be able to.

Last edited:

UB3R_N00B

I am UB3R_N00B! Watch me fail!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2014
    Why Can't Druddigon or Scyther Learn Fly When They Obviously Have Large Visible Wings?
    Yet You See Golurk (The 700 Pound Chunk of Metal and Rock) Flying With Ease Throughout the Skies.

Dodrio Can Learn Fly As Well (Despite the Fact That Its Based on a Flightless Bird and Has No Wings) Maybe It's Heads Function Like Propellers On a Helicopter and It Spins Them Around to Fly?

What About Mew? The Floating Pink Cat? How Does That Manage to Fly?
    Or Perhaps You Were Wondering How Genesect Learned Fly? Perhaps It Reverses Its Blaster and Launches Itself Using It Like a Jetpack.

Well With This Logic You Would Think Girafarig Could Learn Fly, or Maybe Dugtrio?

Lol XD

It Is Clearly Shown That Druddigon and Scyther Have Wings, So Why Can't They Fly?

The mew thing kinda irritated me how you said it lol, first movie pokemon made I dont think mew is on the ground once, he may not be "flying" but he floats so why wouldnt he be able to float a little higher? Lol sorry just had to throw my input in there as I believe the anime, movies and games all tie together obviously so seeing mew fly around in the first movie how he did just shows how skilled a flyer he really is.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    Why can't Snorlax learn Slack Off? Not only will it fit, but it will make good use of it as well.

Back