• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How much do you care about shipping in this series?

Years
  • Shipping is the act of pairing multiple characters together romantically. Some popular ships include PokéShipping (Ash x Misty) and RocketShipping (Jessie x James), among many others.

Do you ship any characters? Is shipping in this series something you care about?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • When I was a kid, I think I tried to care about shipping in Pokémon. It's something I enjoy in most fandoms I'm in, but I think none of the characters' relationships ever really compelled me much. It was interesting to see people come up with ship names for every possible ship and laugh about the craziest ships with my friends, but I never engaged with it seriously. I think for a while I shipped Ash/Misty out of a sense of obligation because it seemed like the default but even that I just didn't really care about one way or another.

...That said, there's this animator I follow on Twitter who has this super cute post-anime AU where Jesse and Ash's mom get together and she posts a lot of one shots from it and it's really funny. I don't feel strongly about it but I've always been drawn to mildly absurd ships and this one fits the bill quite well.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I care about "shipping" a lot, actually. In the anime, I was hoping that, one day, Ash and Misty would finally admit their feelings for each other, but that never happened to my knowledge. Jessie and James seemed like they could have made a good couple. I don't see how they could have traveled together all those years and not gone on a single date. The same thing applies to Ash and his other female travel companions. Ash could have easily expressed some feelings for May, but then again, he seemed more like a brother to her. Ash and Dawn were similar, but this could have been something as well regarding a relationship. They definitely had the chemistry for a good couple. Ash and Iris had that "baby mama/baby daddy" type relationship, as if they were together before but had a bad breakup. If they had learned to tolerate each other's personalities, it could have worked out. Ash and Sareena definitely were the closet things we got. Ash could have shown the whole world how good he was with the women if he got both Lana and Mallow, but of course, that never happened. Another aspect of this that I considered is Brock. Brock hit on almost every woman in the series, but he hardly had any luck. Thus, I was very happy when he was able to get with Olivia. They seem like the perfect couple for each other. In the games, Brendan and May in the Hoenn games were perhaps the closest thing we had to romance between protagonists. Brendan always came off as a boy who was good with girls, in my opinion. May is definitely a girl that deserves some good romance. She looks cute in her Pokémon Contest attire, and she should definitely be allowed to show off her beauty to guys that appreciate it. As for who would make good couples, Cynthia and Lance could definitely work. Lance specializes in Dragon-type Pokémon and Cynthia's signature Pokémon, Garchomp, is a Dragon-type Pokémon. They also seem to have similar personalities. Hunter J from the anime could perhaps make a good partner for Giovanni, considering how evil they are. I wouldn't be surprised if they used to date already. Same-sex relationships are also a thing as well. I always thought of Gym Leader Erika as a lesbian for a few reasons. For one, she gives away the Rainbow Badge. Rainbows are a symbol of the LGBT community. Two, in the anime at least, she disallows males from entering her gym, and in the games, all her trainers are female. This proves that she enjoys the company of girls more than guys, which says a lot about her character. With that being said, perhaps she can enter a relationship with one of those girls in her gym. It would be a great way to represent LGBT characters in Pokémon.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • I enjoy shipping pretty often for a lot of the games and anime I enjoy but... just not really for Pokemon for some reason? It never really occured to me, but that's most likely because I haven't watched the anime since Rival Destinies, and the focus is always more on the creatures than the people and their relationships.

Years
  • As I play Pokemon for the Pokemon themselves... I couldn't possibly care less about shipping humans =P
    Not that I've ever done it in any other franchise... just seems like a waste of time to me.

Back