• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How often do you restart?

Are you the type that will beat a Pokémon game once and set it down, or have you restarted your saves before? What's your most-restarted Pokémon game? How often do you start new saves in general - will you restart not long after beating a game to try again doing things differently, or will you consider restarting in the future if you're keen to replay?

Years
    Most of the time I don't reset, but if I want something I will. I reset my AS game multiple times so I could get multiple Deoxys', so I could have it in each form.
    Also as a kid I reset the heck out of Ruby and Sapphire at the time just to replay them.
    Nowadays it's only to get multiples of a rare mon though, and I don't do that that much.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Dislikes restarting without some way to keep Pokemon from that save. Never started a second game in several generations.

Most restarted: Moon and Sword at 4 plays each. Comes close to X (3 times).

Spaces out playthroughs. Builds up a little more interest by waiting. Estimates every few months to a year between each Pokemon game. Varies based on other games in the queue and any events here.

Years
    • Online now
    I did a very long time ago, when I had a lot more time and fewer games to play.

I have not replayed any Pokémon game since Gen 4. My most replayed was Platinum (because never played original Diamond/Pearl), and only three times so it wasn't much either.

Did play some alternate versions, like Sun and Ultra Moon, or Black and Black 2, but they use different saves so no need to restart.

Midnight Umbreon

Life is a conundrum of esoterica
    Years
    The number of times I reset Pokemon X was more than I care to admit XD Sun and moon also... and platinum... since I stopped doing anything with competitive, I really only play through the story of the game.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I never do anymore these days, and when I did it was very rarely, if ever. I now don't want to lose data because it'll be gone forever. A restart isn't worth it in the end.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    I very rarely restart my saves. Instead, if I enjoyed the game so much and want to play a new game, I get the other version of the game from that generation. I prefer to keep my saves because I prefer to transfer my old Pokémon to my newer games when I need them. Thankfully, with the Nintendo Switch, I can simply create another profile if I want to start a new game.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Without anyway of transfering your pokemon, I dislike restarting everything and everything I worked hard on just goes to waste without a way of transporting them back

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    I wouldn't say I beat a Pokemon game and set it down. I am always picking up my Pokemon games (the ones I haven't lost over time) to look through my boxes to reminisce about the good ol' days, migrate over Pokemon slowly to the current gen, or hunt for shinies.

I don't often restart my games. I will have a 'main' file and then use a 'spare' file to occasionally restart the story. I use different Pokemon and/or place some challenge restrictions on my new play-through to make the game more interesting.

Restarted at least once: Red, Gold, Silver, Ruby, Sapphire, Fire Red, Diamond, Heart Gold, White, X, Ultra Sun
    Original save files are in: Blue, Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Pearl, Platinum, Soul Silver, Black, White 2, Y, Alpha Sapphire, Moon, Ultra Moon, Shield

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    As Serenity said, I rarely restart my games at all. I find that the stories of Pokémon games are only special the first time you play them through, so I try to preserve the magic... only for me to criticize the hell out of said games anyway. I also avoid restarting if I can't find a way to transfer my Pokémon to another game, and it's telling that only I did so during the periods PokéBank was free. Thankfully, that is going to be made permanent next year, so I can restart my 3DS games as much as I like.

The games I did restart with the intent of playing them all the way were:
    -Alpha Sapphire, though I abandoned that run for reasons unknown even to myself;
    -Ultra Sun, because I deemed it the best game to do a Ghost Monotype run - and Bank was free for me to transfer the team from my first run;
    -Crystal VC, because I rushed through the first time, and I wanted to battle Koga as an Elite Four member with full knowledge that I really liked him;
    -Let's Go, because it was light enough for me to get back into Pokémon after a long absence and I really wanted to experience Kanto again (including battling Koga once more!)
    -Shield, for the hell of it. I was originally going to do a single-stage run, but I couldn't let go of my Scorbunny so instead I ran with an all-male team of relatively small Mons.

Back