• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I don't care, I want to rename Traded Pokemon.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
Years
  • I got a Golem named Veler from a Wonder Trade. I'd prefer if the darn thing was actually named 'Golem' cuz I hate nicknames. I should deal because it doesn't have a stupid name like 'DumHat', so I'm happy about that. Does anyone agree with me that Traded Pokemon should be renamed? I'm prolly not the only one who thinks that part of Pokemon sucks. Also, I'm happy to even have a Golem to begin with, so I shouldn't complain. Golem is awesome with the beard. It totally shocked me to see the Alolan Version with a samurai look. Love it. Great work, GF.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Ah I can definitely understand this and while it's cool we can get an Alolan Graveler via in-game trade, the problem is that after seven generations we're still unable to rename traded Pokemon, all for a stupid excuse that the Pokemon's name "has meanings to the trainer who once owned it".

This is something that needs to change in Generation 8, for sure.

stzy

the battlefield got weird.
    Years
  • I absolutely agree. With the implementation of Wonder Trade and the GTS, trading is happening much more often than in the first generations. It was a neat quirk, but now it's time for it to go. Maybe even if we had to raise the affection to max before we could rename the Pokemon... that would work, no?

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I like it the way it is, to be honest.

I'd be okay if they added a way to remove a nickname - so that the game would go back to referring to the Pokemon by its species - but not actually rename it to whatever you want.

But this isn't something I think they're very likely to change. If you get a nickname you don't like, if possible, just breed it and raise another.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2016
    I agree i gotta machop from the npc and its name is macho.... and there is noo way too change it too normal... and ps. totodile 4 life!

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • To be honest, I find it fun to see what other trainer's name their pokemon because it gives traded pokemon "character"r so to speak. However, I would prefer if trainer's had autonomy to change a pokemon's nickname. It appeals to people like me and people that dont like the current restriction.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I just wish Pokemon traded in different languages would revert to the players chosen language if the name is just the actual pokemon name.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Personally if I had a nicknamed Pokemon that had "meanings" I wouldn't be trading it in the first place.

At the very least I'd be trading it to someone I know (and thus somebody who might actually appreciate the sentimental value) and not some random guy over the internet.

If nothing else they should make it that if the traded Pokemon doesn't have a nickname then you can nickname it....because how can a nickname have meaning to the trainer if they never gave it a nickname to begin with?

stzy

the battlefield got weird.
    Years
  • Personally if I had a nicknamed Pokemon that had "meanings" I wouldn't be trading it in the first place.

At the very least I'd be trading it to someone I know (and thus somebody who might actually appreciate the sentimental value) and not some random guy over the internet.

If nothing else they should make it that if the traded Pokemon doesn't have a nickname then you can nickname it....because how can a nickname have meaning to the trainer if they never gave it a nickname to begin with?

All very good points! And considering you need to trade to obtain certain species of Pokemon... c'mon now. As colours said, it's unlikely to change. But that doesn't mean we should stop hoping for it to! After seven generations of Pokemon, I think one thing we can all agree on is that things definitely do change.

User19sq

Yes, traded nicknames do mean a lot to the Trainer who raised it

I evolved a Toucannon and called it "George Lopez" for no more than Pokedex and trading fodder; not always meaningful. XD;

But I agree with the above, as I'd like a way to simply wipe off a nickname/native name and have it regress to its species name. Nothing worse than receiving a Chinese Pokémon, thinking its name is poetic and wise in a foreign and exotic sort of way, only to find out that the owner really named it something like "filthy mutant" or "used panties" in their own language through either legit means or bypassing the blacklist with puns/slang.

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
  • I got a Golem named Veler from a Wonder Trade. I'd prefer if the darn thing was actually named 'Golem' cuz I hate nicknames. I should deal because it doesn't have a stupid name like 'DumHat', so I'm happy about that. Does anyone agree with me that Traded Pokemon should be renamed? I'm prolly not the only one who thinks that part of Pokemon sucks. Also, I'm happy to even have a Golem to begin with, so I shouldn't complain. Golem is awesome with the beard. It totally shocked me to see the Alolan Version with a samurai look. Love it. Great work, GF.

Yeah. I completely agree with that. I myself rceived a shiny midnight form lycanrock named TRASH!! and that's my favourite alolan pokemon. I personally hate nicknaming my pokes, and that is what I have to deal with after each and every gosh darn trade.

Years
  • I couldn't agree more, the most recent example is my shiny Zorua RNC traded me a few months back, I really want to nickname it for second Alola playthrough when I can transfer it from X but I can't and it's really frustrating.

Years
  • I hate this too. :( It genuinely needs to go and I'm surprised they didn't take it out in this game. Bleh.

At this point, I feel like Game Freak is callanging the whole world name game. I feel like I had to nickname them something else this time.. : I

If GF is not sorry, then I'm not sorry for nicknaming my Pokémon. Litten, Incineroar, Bewear, and Xurkitree are inexcusable Pokémon names. I know they fit with their character but ugh... cringe worthy to read every time! SO! Time to nickname them more with puntastic nicknames for the world to enjoy! I feel GF on this one and I'm glad they keeping going with it.

MKC

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    They honestly need to rethink the whole nicknaming system, its really stuck on the past.
    Back on the gen1-3 days when you could only trade locally it made sense, you were trading with Friends or at least with people you knew, so the nicknames had some kind of personal value. Now that you can trade random pokemon to random people on the internet it is completely different, I don't know this people, and if they traded their pokemon away the obviously didnt care who it went to, why can't I nickname the pokemon that's now mine?
    It is specially irritating when names are in other languages, it sucks when you can't even read the name of a pokemon you just got.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I like it the way it is, to be honest.

I'd be okay if they added a way to remove a nickname - so that the game would go back to referring to the Pokemon by its species - but not actually rename it to whatever you want.

But this isn't something I think they're very likely to change. If you get a nickname you don't like, if possible, just breed it and raise another.

I literally came in here to say this!

Zexonyte

Meteorite Piece
    Years
  • Yeah, I agree. I tried to go back to gen one and think of why it might have been that this came about in the first place, but I couldn't come up with a good answer. In Wonder Trade, I've gotten a few Pokes where some swear words, due to "cleverly" placed punctuation, have made it through. I don't have a problem with swearing, but I don't necessarily want my Pokes to have swear-based names. The fact that people have found ways to break this (and honestly, it doesn't really take a lot of thought to even figure out how to break the censors) indicates that we should have some form of recourse against it. Maybe there was once a purpose for not renaming trade Pokémon, but now it seems kinda pointless.

Years
  • I totally agree with you I want to change my name of the Pokemon i get from a trade I want to choose my Own name of the Pokemon i get not get name locked Just because this Pokemon belongs to Someone else or what not I have always find this quite annyoing while trading While trading my Pokemon in GTS or Wonder trade and get a Pokemon who just has a stupid Nickname Or either some foreign language I want to understand What my Pokemon's name mean I hope they will add the freedom to change names of the Pokemon you get from trades someday.

Back