• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I pick the Fire-type.. again!

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
  • I've seen a lot of posts on here where people say that they always pick the starter of a certain type, on purpose or as a coincidence. This isnt the case for me- strangely enough, I've been exactly even. Fire in Gens 1 and 2, Grass in Gens 3 and 5, Water in Gens 4 and 6. Which starter type do you normally go with the first time around each gen? Or do you not lean towards any type, like me?

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    Overall, I probably lean a bit more toward the Water starter than the others, just because it's potentially more useful (since I'll have to teach someone Surf sometime anyway). Grass is probably second, just because I like the type. Fire is the one I'm generally least likely to pick first, just because I don't find it to be a terribly useful type (I almost always have a Flying type and a Fighting type on my team, so Fire doesn't provide me any coverage I don't already have).

In the end though, it just comes down to the individual starter. And sooner or later, I use all of them, since I always play all the games of a given generation and use a different starter each time.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
    Years
  • Kanto- Fire, Grass as a second choice.
    Johto- Water, Fire as a second choice.
    Hoenn- Grass, Water as a second choice.
    Sinnoh- Fire, Grass as a second choice.
    Unova- Water, Grass as a second choice.
    Kalos- Grass, Water as a second choice.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    It's always whatever starter was my favorite at the time

1 - Charmander
    2 - Cyndaquil
    3 - Torchic
    4 - Turtwig
    5 - Oshawott
    6 - Fennekin

Which most of the time started out as the fire starter lol. My favorite starter since I first played the games has changed for 1, 2, and 4.

Years
  • I've noticed I usually go with the Grass or Fire type first. When I first played Red (it wasn't my first gen. I game, but Yellow only had Pikachu as an option), Gold, and Ruby--each the first game I played for their respective generations--I started with the Grass starter. Likewise, when I first played Pearl, Black, and Y, my starter was Fire. Incidentally, my second choice after choosing a Grass type first has been Fire, and my second choice after choosing a Fire type has almost always been Water. (The only exception was in BW, where I chose Snivy second.)

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I generally pick the water or the fire starter, but there are a few exceptions.

Kanto - Charmander
    Johto - Cyndaquil, Totodile (I love them both ;;)
    Hoenn - Treecko
    Sinnoh - Piplup
    Unova - Snivy
    Kalos - Froakie or Chespin

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I usually go with the Fire or Water types. The Grass type is among my least desired type to use and most of the Grass types seemed underwhelming to me to use, exceptions being Treecko and Turtwig. It generally went like this:

1 - Squirtle or Charmander, more likely the former
    2. Totodile or Cyndaquil
    3. Mudkip
    4. All three (I liked to reset my game a lot during Gen 4, so I used every starter throughout the games).
    5. Oshawott
    6. ??? (haven't played X/Y)

The Fire types always looked so much better than the other 2, and the Water type was a better overall typing than the other 2, so those were the main reasons as to how I pick my starters.

Years
  • I usually almost always choose the Water-type starter since they do fit best with my gameplay style, although there have been occasions where I picked the Fire-type instead.

Kanto - Charmander (well I chose him in X, not really a Kanto game)
    Johto - Cyndaquil
    Hoenn - Mudkip
    Sinnoh - Chimchar
    Unova - Oshawott
    Kalos - Froakie

Yeah, I'm pretty biased between Water or Fire as seen here.

Shiny Espurr

The Cutest, Most Dangerous Poké Alive!
    Years
  • Almost always fire. Partially due to tradition, and partially due to which one's appearance I liked best. Gen II was a difficult choice between Cyndaquil and Chickorita, but I ultimately liked Cyndaquil's final form better. Gen V is my only exception so far, as I went with Snivy the grass type hands down. Just not a fan of the Tepig line, sorry. Snivy is pretty cool in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    I always choose my starter based on the design only. Since I'm not a competitive player, I've never picked my Pokemon based on type advantage and strength. I usually pick Squirtle or Charmander in Gen1, Cyndaquil in Gen2, Torchic in Gen3, Turtwig in Gen4, Oshawott in Gen5 and Chespin in Gen6.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I'm guilty of picking the Fire starter in ever generation since Pokemon Red. I did use a Treecko for Pokemon Emerald though because I had a soft spot for it, but in Ruby I continued with tradition.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I have always gone for the water starter, just because they're the ones that I like best. Think I may break that for the Hoenn remakes though (I don't like Mudkip too much, and that Mega evo?)...

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    For my first playthrough of a game it's either the Water or the Fire starter (with a higher tendency to use the Water Pokemon). Squirtle in Blue, Cyndaquil in Gold, Mudkip in Sapphire, Cyndaquil in SoulSilver, I think Snivy in White (the only exception of the rule, I guess), Oshawott in White 2 and Froakie in X.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I don't have a preference, I pick the starter based on whether I liked the Pokemon or not (by it's looks - and the animal its based on)

Gen 1 - Kanto - Squirtle, I didn't rally like any of the 3, but when I had to pick most of the time I went with Squirtle.

Gen 2 - Johto - Cyndaquil, it's the only one I liked in the second generation, mainly since when it evolves it becomes partial weasel, they are my #1 favorite animals in real life.

Gen 3 - Hoenn - Mudkip, not really a fan of any of the 3 starters this gen (by design didn't like any of them, Torchic was the worst), so if I had to pick one it would be Mudkip

Gen 4 - Sinnoh - Chimchar, slowly started to like both Monferno & Infernape (still dislike Chimchar's design a bit).

Gen 5 - Unova - Oshawott, #1 reason is still my most favorite of all starters to be created, a cute Sea Otter!! I love mustelids - otters are aquatic mustelids, it's all the reason I need for Oshy to be my favorite starter, Dewott overall is my #6 favorite Pokemon of them all.

Gen 6 - Kalos - Fennekin, second favorite of all starters to be created, Braixen is my #11 favorite Pokemon. Main reason I like it because it's based on cute foxes.

Water - 3
    Grass - 0
    Fire - 3

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    Didn't play Red or Blue, but I dd play Yellow. So....Electric for that one, I guess?

Silver: Typhlosion (Fire)
    Crystal: Feraligatr (Water)
    Sapphire: Swampert (Water)
    Ruby: Blaziken (Fire)
    Diamond: Infernape (Fire)
    Platinum: Torterra (Grass)
    Black: Samurott (Water)
    Black 2: Serperior (Grass)
    X: Delphox (Fire)
    Y: Chesnaught (Grass)

So, for now, Fire wins out, with 4 out of the 10 games I've played. Water and Grass follow behind with 3 each.

Years
  • Before Generation 3, I always felt the closest bond towards the Fire starters :) I followed my pattern in Hoenn cause I couldn't bear to depart from tradition, but ended up restarting and choosing Treecko, which was the start of me departing from Fire Starters completely actually, although it wasn't a conscious decision :)

Gen 1 - Charmander
    Gen 2 - Cyndaquil
    Gen 3 - Treecko
    Gen 4 - Piplup / Turtwig
    Gen 5 - Snivy / Oshawott
    Gen 6 - Froakie

Despite this, and therefore only really being drawn towards 1/3 of the Fire Starters, it's weird but I still consider myself to be a Trainer that favours Fire starters above all others lol :)

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • When it comes to starters, I don't really pay attention to types; I simply pick the one I liked the look of the best. Strangely, this had led to me leaning towards choosing the water type in most gens.

Years
  • In three of my main games (Pearl, Platinum and White until I deleted the save there), I chose the Fire starter. But in White 2 I went with Oshawott, then chose Chespin in X, which was the first time any of my "main" games have had me choose the Grass starter. And I picked Totodile in Heart Gold before I deleted the save there.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I usually go with fire. I'm not sure why, but every time when it comes to picking starters, I always think that fire-type one is strongest of the three. Know it's not true, but… hey, that's how my mind works. There's nothing you could possibly do. xD" Only time I try something different is when playing through the game again from beginning.

Back