• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I Side With...

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
  • If you've ever wanted to see what candidates for President of the United States you align with on the issues most, but find it difficult to navigate countless websites and platforms, policies, and pages of information, then take a look at...

It's often a way to re-affirm your political beliefs, but it can also be a completely surprising set of results for some (like me!). It's also important to get information deeper into subjects, such as Common Core learning standards, the Affordable Care Act (or Obamacare), immigration reform, and the Trans-Pacific Partnership, all controversial topics in this election cycle.

So before you take the test, answer a few questions about your political preferences and your current ideal candidate:
    What political party do you associate with?
    Who is your ideal candidate right now?

As you take the test, make sure you adjust the sliders along the left side of the screen to add emphasis to issues you find important or unimportant!

Once you've finished, post your results and discuss these questions:
    Who were your top five candidates?
    Who were your bottom three?
    Are you surprised by the results?
    Do you feel the candidate you matched with best could represent you well?
    Any other thoughts?

You don't have to follow what the site says or suggests is your ideal candidate obviously, but it's a neat tool to think over and even open yourself up to alternate options. Use it as a tool to open a dialogue and see what choices are out there, but especially use it to prepare yourself to vote!​

Reactions: Nah

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • "Should vaccinations for preventable diseases be a requirement"

only in America this would be a subject of debate. laughed at that one.

I'm quite neutral about affairs in America, but I'll give this a go. Heard good things about Bernie Sanders over here.

I answered everything and even looked at the more detailed answers when possible. My results are as follows:

https://www.isidewith.com/elections/2016-presidential/1413846560

Candidates you side with...
    93% Bernie Sanders Democratic <Not surprised really. I'm apparently a "Left Wing Authoritarian" or as my more right-wing minded friends call me: a filthy hippie, haha.
    on social, domestic policy, foreign policy, economic, environmental, immigration, healthcare, electoral, and science issues.

91% Hillary Clinton Democratic
    on domestic policy, social, foreign policy, environmental, healthcare, immigration, education, electoral, and science issues.

82% Joe Biden Democratic
    on domestic policy, economic, social, foreign policy, environmental, and electoral issues.

80% Martin O'Malley Democratic
    on social, domestic policy, immigration, healthcare, education, science, and electoral issues.

72% Lincoln Chafee Democratic
    on foreign policy, immigration, and education issues.

46% Jim Webb Democratic
    on immigration, healthcare, science, and electoral issues.

44% Jeb Bush Republican
    on science issues.

39% Chris Christie Republican
    on environmental and healthcare issues.

39% Mike Huckabee Republican
    on healthcare and science issues.

36% John Kasich Republican
    on healthcare and science issues.

34% Rand Paul Republican
    on foreign policy and science issues.

27% Lindsey Graham Republican
    no major issues.

23% Bobby Jindal Republican
    on immigration issues.

21% Donald Trump Republican
    no major issues. <THANK GOD

21% Marco Rubio Republican
    on science issues.

13% Carly Fiorina Republican
    no major issues.

13% Ted Cruz Republican
    on science issues.

9% Ben Carson Republican
    on science issues.

6% Rick Santorum Republican
    no major issues.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Last election they included Gary Johnson, Libertarian candidate. I got a very high percentage with him.

This year I got very interesting results. I'm a Republican, though probably more Libertarian in essence. I don't really have an ideal candidate at this point. I see faults in all of them and it's usually too early in the cycle to pick for me. I know who I like though.

My results were so surprising because I got such a mixture of candidates and they're all fairly close in percentages.

Neat stuff to see and kind of makes you look into their platforms a bit more.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • My results

Pretty much what I expected. I consider myself center-left with a couple of unusual leanings for a leftie (like being anti-abortion except in certain circumstances), and Bernie Sanders is my top candidate, so not surprised at all that I'm pretty much in line with the Democratic candidates.

My biggest surprise is that I'm apparently 46% in line with the Republican laughing-stock known as Trump, but on closer look the things I agree with him on are mostly liberal issues like campaign finance, staying out of wars, etc. except for my anti-abortion-ness (and even then, we only partially agree since he's totally pro-life in all circumstances).

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I don't really identify with any particular political party, honestly don't really keep up with the presidential race, and don't know jack **** about anything (and tend to not feel too strongly about much I think) but was like hey let's do this and see what happens for fun. It turned out like this:

https://www.isidewith.com/elections/2016-presidential/1419326529

Apparently 93% Bernie Sanders, and...."Left-Wing Authoritarian"

ok then

Sir Codin

I took this quiz a while ago and I think I remember Rand Paul being top choice for me....followed by Bernie Sanders.

Anyone here who knows me even a little should be able to guess what I ended up thinking of this test based on THAT outcome....and the lack of third party candidates in the exam.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • 85% Rand Paul, 25% Bernie Sanders, and 19% Hillary Clinton. Not surprised at all.

However, I got like 70 or 75% Trump, which idk how that happened lol. I think its because I never really made up my mind on immigration and some of the questions were a little iffy, so I think that caused me to "side" with him. Anyways, the guy is a freaking joke and changes his mind on stuff all the time. In my opinion, he isn't as bad as Bernie or Clinton. I really hope none of those three win.

I dont understand how people are getting closest to Rand Paul and Bernie Sanders because they are complete opposites (Rand being Right-Libertarian and Bernie Sanders being Left-Authoritarian).

Im Right-Libertarian, which is why Im a bit surprised I was closer to Trump. I am more conservative, but Im not a NeoCon (I was, so I guess some of those ideas are still implanted into my brain)...

In addition, I didnt mess with the important/unimportant thing so I guess my results were also skewed a bit.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    92% Bernie, 90% Hillary, and I don't care enough about the other candidates to name them. I expected Bernie to be my top pick because I already literally side with him.

Years
  • I apparently side 88% with Bernie Sanders, 82% with Hillary Clinton and 77% with Joe Bidan as my top three. No idea what that means though since I'm not American.

I'm a bit disappointed that I side 44% with Donal Trump apparently because even in Australia we know he's an ass.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • I apparently side 88% with Bernie Sanders, 82% with Hillary Clinton and 77% with Joe Bidan as my top three. No idea what that means though since I'm not American.

Pretty much literally this. 87% Bernie Sanders, 78% (or something like that) Hillary Clinton.

Since this is a near-totally America-centric event, can we have some context or background for what these answers mean and which candidates want what?

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Pretty much literally this. 87% Bernie Sanders, 78% (or something like that) Hillary Clinton.

Since this is a near-totally America-centric event, can we have some context or background for what these answers mean and which candidates want what?
    If you click on "Compare answers" under each candidate on your list, it will tell you what each candidate's views are and how they compare to your own. Also, when you take the quiz, the question mark button beside each question will give you context and information if you click on it.

Years
  • Okay, so before the test:
    I don't really associate with any party. I'm registered as a Green, but I've voted for many Democrats mostly because I was worried the other side might win. (Really wish we had runoff elections so I could actually vote for who I wanted.) Right now the closest to my ideal candidate is Sanders because he's all about cutting out the money in politics and working for people who aren't rich.

And the results:
    98% for Bernie. Yeah, I'm not surprised, really. The only reason I'm not shouting his name from the rooftops is because I felt the same about Obama and (despite being a great president) his terms have sometimes been a bit of a letdown.

Still, 87% for Hillary is higher than I would have guessed, and 81% Biden, and 76% O'Malley. And then the next highest is 28% with Rand Paul. And, ha, 3% with Santorum.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I got Mike Huckabee at 75 percent followed closely by Rubio, Sanders, and Hillary (72 for Rubio and 71 for both democratic candidates). I prefer Rubio though. I will admit during 2008 I did want Hillary to win...and right now Sanders and Rubio are among my top picks of their respective parties. I'm surprised by Huckabee though...maybe I should look at him more (looking at the comparison we do share a lot on the issues). After Hillary comes Trump (69)...I dislike both Hillary and Trump on a personal level but apparently policy wise we're similar...
    After them are John Kasish and Bobby Jindal 68, Carlson and Bush at 67, Lincoln Chafee 64, Biden and O'Malley at 62, Rand Paul at 61, Ted Cruz and Christie both at 59, Rick Santorum and Carly Fiorina both at 57, and last but not least Jim Web at 56.

I wouldn't mind third party candidates as it'll give me a chance to know them better.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • The interesting thing about the results, to me, is that it shows you may agree with someone's policies, but not their character or personality and why being a charismatic, yet decent person is key to garnering voter support. I've got high %s with a lot of candidates I'd never rightly vote for as well.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • I took this test months ago, and I think I got 98% Bernie, followed up by Hillary at like 60something%. Maybe 70something%.

The interesting thing about the results, to me, is that it shows you may agree with someone's policies, but not their character or personality and why being a charismatic, yet decent person is key to garnering voter support. I've got high %s with a lot of candidates I'd never rightly vote for as well.

That's why I like this test so much, it gives you a better understanding of candidate views.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I actually took this test several months back and then again a month or two ago when my position on several things changed. This was my result. I do think that site doesn't really capture the nuance of some of my views, though, especially the ones I feel more strongly about.

I've known that I largely agree with a lot of what Bernie has to say for a long time; I've actually followed him long before his Presidential bid and agreed with him strongly on a lot of the things he says. I think it's unfortunate that his chances for making it to the general election are deemed to be low, but some more conspiracy-oriented individuals seem to think that's just media bias. I hope they're right, but I doubt it.

If it comes down to a general election between Hillary and anyone among the Republicans except Rand Paul (who is also unlikely to make it to a general election), assuming that nothing changes, I'll be voting third party.

Regarding the sliders at the bottom: the one for populism vs elitism I find particularly interesting. I strongly support the democratic process (it's my most important issue), but that's largely because I have absolutely no faith in the so-called "elites" we're presented with, which are anything but. I have strong faith in experts, scientists, philosophers, and intellectuals, though, and think that a system of government that relied more heavily on these would be a good thing, possibly much better than a strictly democratic system.

Some of the other "theme" sliders they have again fail to capture the nuance of some of my beliefs. For instance, the last one, environmentalism vs anthropocentrism, is misleading because I believe environmentalism frequently directly benefits anthropocentrism, which is one of my core philosophical beliefs. I strongly support many environmental causes on the sole basis that I think they are good for humanity. Likewise, there are many environmental causes I oppose because they are costly and don't provide any significant benefits to humanity in the short or long term. That's something that's really important to me that this completely fails to capture.

Years
  • Some of the other "theme" sliders they have again fail to capture the nuance of some of my beliefs. For instance, the last one, environmentalism vs anthropocentrism, is misleading because I believe environmentalism frequently directly benefits anthropocentrism, which is one of my core philosophical beliefs. I strongly support many environmental causes on the sole basis that I think they are good for humanity. Likewise, there are many environmental causes I oppose because they are costly and don't provide any significant benefits to humanity in the short or long term. That's something that's really important to me that this completely fails to capture.

"Environmentalism" in the context of the slider probably means the belief that the environment is inherently valuable and not subordinate to human existence, as opposed to the belief that humanity is the central element of existence. They're different attitudes towards environmentalism in the sense of a concern for the well-being of our environment.

yayacomma

Fantastic, Dah-ling!
    Years
  • What political party do you associate with?
    Since I'm English, the Labour Party.
    Who is your ideal candidate right now?
    Bernie Sanders. Since I back Jeremy Corbyn over here, it's not much of a surprise that I agree with Bernie on a majority of things; I don't especially like Hillary, either.

Who were your top five candidates?
    1. Bernie Sanders (91%)
    2. Hillary Clinton (89%)
    3. Joe Biden (77%)
    4. Martin O'Malley (74%)
    5. Lincoln Chafee (58%)
    Who were your bottom three?
    1. Rick Santorum (8%)
    2. Ben Carson (8%)
    3. Carly Fiorina (4%)
    Are you surprised by the results?
    Honestly? Not at all other than Clinton being so high. I know I support Bernie most so it's all good.
    Do you feel the candidate you matched with best could represent you well?
    Of course! #FeelTheBern

Hoorah, that was a fun 10 minutes.

Back