• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

i toss and turn too much during the night

Sirfetch’d

ok I don't want tips on falling to sleep, but does anyone have any tips on getting into a deep sleep? I am tired of feeling like I got hit by a semi when I wake up

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Honestly, the reason you wake up feeling like you got hit by a semi when you wake up is because you wake up during your deep sleep cycle. This is when - if you wake up - you'll wake up feeling your absolute worst because your body is in such a relaxed state. If you want to ensure you don't wake up during your deep sleep cycle, download the app Sleep Cycle. It uses your phone's microphone and accelerometer to track your movements and breathing throughout the night and wakes you up at the most optimal time within a window you designate.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Passion flower tea is what really helps me.

My boyfriend always relies on warm milk to help him sleep through the night with no interruption. So might want to try that next time.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • tbh ive slept way better after getting a pillow that works better for me? i always slept better at my grandparents house using their fancy feather pillows so i bought one and its so great
    also if you have the option and know what works best for you getting a better mattress too. like i think a lot of it is staying consistently comfortable during the night

Years
  • I'm the opposite, I just stay in one position lol but yeah, if you wake during your cycle, then you won't feel rested, because you aren't getting to the deep sleep you need.
    A non caffinated hot drink should help.

Years
  • Don't look at any screens for at least an hour before going to sleep. Supposedly they trick your body/mind/whatever into thinking that it's daytime and that messes up your sleep.

Honestly, the reason you wake up feeling like you got hit by a semi when you wake up is because you wake up during your deep sleep cycle. This is when - if you wake up - you'll wake up feeling your absolute worst because your body is in such a relaxed state. If you want to ensure you don't wake up during your deep sleep cycle, download the app Sleep Cycle. It uses your phone's microphone and accelerometer to track your movements and breathing throughout the night and wakes you up at the most optimal time within a window you designate.
    I've read about the sleep cycle thing, too. Apparently it goes in cycles of 90 minutes and if you wake up in the middle of one of those cycles that's what hits you like a truck. Unfortunately to keep to the cycle you have to be able to time when you fall asleep and when you wake up and make sure the whole of your sleep divides nicely into 90 minute sections.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Don't look at any screens for at least an hour before going to sleep. Supposedly they trick your body/mind/whatever into thinking that it's daytime and that messes up your sleep.

I've read about the sleep cycle thing, too. Apparently it goes in cycles of 90 minutes and if you wake up in the middle of one of those cycles that's what hits you like a truck. Unfortunately to keep to the cycle you have to be able to time when you fall asleep and when you wake up and make sure the whole of your sleep divides nicely into 90 minute sections.

At the very least I'd recommend using f.lux or something similar that adjusts the colour temperature of your monitor depending on the time of day, as it's the blue light that's thought to disrupt sleep patterns, like you said.

As for the sleep cycles, if you're using apps or fitness trackers with smart alarms that actually work properly, you don't have to worry about planning your sleep properly. If you're going to be in the middle of a sleep cycle at the time your alarm is supposed to go off, they're programmed to set the alarm off earlier so you don't feel groggy after waking up.

User19sq

I think it's a personality thing. According to other people, I stay completely still in my sleep, and I still have trouble sleeping at night due to perpetual back pain. The only thing I can recommend is getting as comfy as you possibly can, probably requiring you to drop a few dollars on pleasant scents and food items, maybe extra pillows.

Years
  • I honestly just turn my light off and go to sleep straight away, then wake up and am still tired.

kms

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I have been trying to no avail to fix my sleep patterns for years. I think I wake up between 3-6 times a night and usually get between 4-7 hours of sleep. So it can feel like once an hour til I wake up.

I've tried almost everything here but it does nothing. I'm only out all night if I'm really sick or if I've had a xanax before bed which I can't always do sooo. I'll keep looking at this thread for more ideas too :''')

blue

gucci
    Years
  • yeah, i've found that looking at my phone late at night really doesn't help relax you. idk whether it's the bright screen right in front of your face but it doesn't seem to help if you're trying to sleep.

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2017
    It may have been mentioned above, but what's your mattress like? That's probably the number one offender for poor sleep; after that I can think to accuse the air in your sleeping area (get a humidifier?), your energy (try working out or stretching before sleep?) or your diet.

Back