• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game] Icontest #4 - Voting

icontest #4

• Peitharchia

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Aquacorde

• The Dark Avenger

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Flushed

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Xia

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Puddle

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • awolffromspace

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Lilith

• Terabyte

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
    • Age 33
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024

icontest #4 // vintage
    voting

Details
    Hey everyone, and welcome to Icontest #4's Voting stage! I just want to say that I'm super proud of all of you, and it's an honor to be hosting this once again. Most of you know the gist of Icontest, but for any new comers it goes like this: You enter; you vote. See? Simple! Now, I'm changing things up a bit. I realized, it's silly to limit voting to just the one icon, when more often than not (myself included), people post saying "____ is my fav, but ____ & ____ were also amazing!" Therefore, you are not allowed to vote for your top three favorite icons!

Rules

// No voting for yourself
    // You may only vote for your top three
    // If you participated, you have to vote
    // Try to post a little something about which icons you voted for
    // No overt negativity
    // Voting is not limited to participants!
    // You must voted within the allotted time period

Deadline // March 23th

entries

Peitharchia
    LuaMfOo.png

stock

Aquacorde
    icontest-vintage2_zps19f95fbc.png

stock

The Dark Avenger
    vint_zpsa7a34290.png%7Eoriginal

stock

Flushed
    qEpkqYi.png

stock

Xia
    Grammophone-icon_zpsc7be4bab.png

stock

Puddle
    BfYblTj.png

stock | stock

awolffromspace
    iDXEhLl9BcHVi.png

stock

Lilith
    vintageflowercrown.png

stock | stock

Terabyte
    e9deR6Z.png

stock

thank you

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'd have to go with Flushed; I just love the coloring. Plus, I really like the blurring effect that he added. :] Along with him, I also voted for Lilith and Terabyte. There are so many great entries here; wish I could vote for them all, haha.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Xia's really screams vintage to me, more so than most of the other entries (though they are all gorgeous), so he/she gets my vote. Also adore Lilith's, Peitharchia's, Terabyte's, The Dark Avenger's... ugh. All good, all good. Good luck to everyone! This iContest is just the bomb.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Xia was top imo due to the way everything was used and put together. I really, really like what Puddle was going for but I'm not sure it was executed as well as it could have been. But I voted for those guys and Dark Avenger~

Years
  • That's two more votes that I thought I'd get :p

I went for Puddle and Terabyte for my votes.

Puddle, I love the watermark face in the background; the placement forms a frame for the watermark. Also, I love the color coordination of the two stocks. The overall product, though yes, might be viewed as relying on, perhaps, the best known icon/sex symbols of the 50's/60's, I think what you have done worked extremely well!!! The only criticism is the lack of outlining in parts of the hair in the original stock, which blends with the background a bit too much. Though, this is very minor.

Terabyte. I am a sucker for vintage cars and the cool/saturated/bright changes to the original stock. The icon makes me want to take a spin out in the blinding bright desert a feel the wind in my hair, so great job with the coloring. With that said it could "pop" a bit more. Though, I would have no idea how to do that myself. Otherwise, this icon is prime in my eyes! I'll be moving near the arid plains and quasi-desert terrains; I just need a car like this ;)

There were others (all of the others) that also caught my eye. I tried to limit it to the two that stuck out the most for me. Great job everyone. Not a bad icon in sight except for mine.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • I went with Xia. The amount of work that I saw based off the stocks was a lot more than I definitely put into it, so I had to give it to her/him for the hard work and dedication.

Good luck everyone!

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • Going with Xia. It also screams vintage to me and is really lovely to look at. Hers and Lilith's are both great imo

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    With a theme like this, you get a lot of neat color schemes, and I think everyone captured that quite well.

I voted awolffromspace's piece. It was simplistic and adhered to the theme well. There were quite a few others that caught my eye in addition, but I elect not to vote for two others, as that would be too much of a difficult decision.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • My top three picks would be:

Peitharchia: I love the choice of stock. The delicious hues of blue, orange, and pink are the very definition of a great vintage color scheme.

Flushed: Great desaturated look, yet the colors in the headband were brightened up. Headbands scream vintage or hippy to me, so I'll give brownie points for that.

Xia: From what I can tell, this icon is the most creative piece because it combined several stock photos into one icon. The yellowish hues are very fitting, and the placement of the Great Deal icon is proper of the vintage theme. Get your retro record players here, yo~ It takes a considerable amount of skill to evoke emotion when using an inanimate object as the focus piece.

Some comments on other submitted works:

Aquacorde: I like the background, almost psychedelic. Though, I don't really dig how the focus piece is turning away from the audience.

The Dark Avenger: Honestly, I prefer the original stock. Be careful when working with yellows and making the model's skin far too yellow.

Puddle: I really liked this one because it involved more than just adjusting the colors of a piece. The text ruined it, though. Its placement is odd too.

Awolffromspace: This one was cute, and I do like how his nose looks spotted in the icon. I'm afraid I'm a sucker for icons with splashes of color, though.

Terabyte: hot rod, when can i jump in? Great stock and composition, and it does depict the rule of cool. Though, the shading under the car is turning out to be a bit too blue for me.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I voted for Flushed. I love the 1970's vibe the icon gives (and my mom says that's when I should have been around haha) and I love rainbows. I even asked him if I could use it sometime. It just really resonated with me and I couldn't turn my head.

Everyone else's icons are lovely as well. <3 Really digging Dark Avenger's icon as well.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    No doubt in my mind, Lilith's. In terms of actual colour, Lilith's icon is far and beyond the strongest. The lighting addition is also very complimentary here, and while I would have sharpened that dust texture a bit, it doesn't hold much back from the icon as a whole. I would have also moved the focal off center more, as it breaks the rule of thirds, buuut, that said, while the positioning is lacking, the sharpness and colour in the icon is much much better than the other entries.

Sure, Xia used a bunch of stocks and I can see more effort went in. But when it comes to making icons, simplicity is key. More stocks doesn't always mean a better icon. In fact, it usually leads them to becoming quite busy. So that's what happened there, along with monotone and center positioning. So I'm not gonna follow the trend on that one.

In terms of quality, Peitharchia had a good entry. But I don't really think the stock fits the theme very well. Honourable mention would also go out to awolffromspace who A) met the theme well and B) made a decent attempt at negative space usage. I feel the stock used took up too much of the icon, and there should have been more negative space. Also the colour scheme fell short of interesting.

Good job overall guys, but due to good stock choice, the best colour mesh, and good additions, I voted for Lilith.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 33
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Holy ♥♥♥♥. Apparently I voted, because I don't have the option to select anything, but I have absolutely no memory of voting. :x So I have no idea who I vote for lol. Unless it's a glitch but idk.

ANYWAY, all the icons look great, in my opinion. They really touch on the theme perfectly, and I think the one who captured it most was Xia. It may benefit from a few changes artistically speaking, but strictly judging it from the "vintage" point of view, it hit all the marks perfectly.

Peitharchia's & The Dark Avengers' icons make me smile inside.

Puddle's & Aquacorde's icons are all 70's (not outta 100 lol).

awolffromspace get +3 puppy points for maximum cuteness.

So proud of you all rn. :')

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • No doubt in my mind, Lilith's. In terms of actual colour, Lilith's icon is far and beyond the strongest. The lighting addition is also very complimentary here, and while I would have sharpened that dust texture a bit, it doesn't hold much back from the icon as a whole. I would have also moved the focal off center more, as it breaks the rule of thirds, buuut, that said, while the positioning is lacking, the sharpness and colour in the icon is much much better than the other entries.

Sure, Xia used a bunch of stocks and I can see more effort went in. But when it comes to making icons, simplicity is key. More stocks doesn't always mean a better icon. In fact, it usually leads them to becoming quite busy. So that's what happened there, along with monotone and center positioning. So I'm not gonna follow the trend on that one.

In terms of quality, Peitharchia had a good entry. But I don't really think the stock fits the theme very well. Honourable mention would also go out to awolffromspace who A) met the theme well and B) made a decent attempt at negative space usage. I feel the stock used took up too much of the icon, and there should have been more negative space. Also the colour scheme fell short of interesting.

Good job overall guys, but due to good stock choice, the best colour mesh, and good additions, I voted for Lilith.
    word.

I agree with what Gav said. I'm voting for Lilith as well. Though I am voting for awolffromspace too. I thought it was a great attempt even if the coloring left a bit to be desired. So yeah, those two for me. Other entries were pretty too! And so glad to see active participation by members. <3 I totally would've voted for Puddle had he not put the text in there, though. Icon looks pretty good but text sort of ruins it for me. Anyway, hope for more participation like this next time. Good luck, guys.

Years
    • Age 27
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Some critique.

Peitharchia: Great icon, but I don't think it fits the theme very well.

Aquacorde: Iffy on the background choice. A simple light gray would've been more effective.

The Dark Avenger: Colors are nice, but a tad overdone. I also don't think the blur was necessary.

Flushed: I understand the blur was done for depth, but it's not very effective on this stock. Looks like the icon was also sharpened too much, which is noticeable on the sunglasses frame.

Xia: Good, but too busy for my liking.

Puddle: Again, too busy (see: text and flowers).

Lilith: The violet lighting on the bottom right is distracting, haha. Great otherwise. This gets my vote.

Terabyte: Colors are overdone. It looks good, but I feel like it's missing something...

Re: my icon: I'm surprised it got this many votes. I'm not too happy with it. I was going to remake it but I never got around to it. 8(

Years
    • Age 33
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024

three more days of voting to go

So if you haven't already, make sure you get to it! :)

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • Flushed did a great job! The blurring and the whole picture just looks great.
    Terabyte, I like your style hehe
    Awolffromspace did a great job too!

So it's Flushed,Terabyte,Awolffromspace.

Years
    • Age 33
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024

results

our winners

1st place // awolffromspace

2nd place // Flushed & Xia

3rd place // Peitharchia, Aquacorde, & Lilith

Please offer all of our participants and winners a big congratulations! Everyone did great this time around, and I'm so proud of all of you for the time and effort put into this little competition. Please feel free to discuss the winning icons and what you'd like to see during the next icontest.

Many congratulations to everyone!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 27
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Thank you to those who voted for my submission. Good luck to everyone on the next Icontest!

Back