• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: In the midnight hour, she cries because she's sad and alone and just a little pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    Speaking of Fridays, I loved those Friday nights on Cartoon Network with those two hosts... Tara and Matt? Some white guy and black girl that would host a cartoon block. It ended in 2007 (so Wikipedia said, but there's no actual page for it!) and it was so fun. :[

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I like a lot of classic cartoons like the old loony tunes, tom and jerry, and then I like the toons from my childhood such as Courage the cowardly dog and The grim adventures of billy and mandy. I actually went back and watched some of the episodes a month or two back. Now I know why I'm so messed up in the head.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    The other day I was watching...something animated and I realized the voice was Mandy. I think it may have been a character from Avatar? I couldn't get it out of my head once I recognized it.

Years
    I always find it interesting whenever voice actors use the same voice for more than one character across different shows.. and whenever I see that happen, I always juxtapose the two characters together just to imagine on how it would sound.

Years
    I used to use acronyms on things all the time years ago, but nowadays I don't. Usually though I'll use acronyms with song titles when I text my father, but that's it.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
    I use acronyms if I know for sure the person I am talking to will know what I am saying.

Like, at work, I will leave a note to the other managers telling them the MU unit is quite cooling properly, but if I were to write that for you guys here, I would write out Make Up Unit. Or CW for Cut and Wrap, or SB for Salad Bar.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I use acronyms if I know for sure the person I am talking to will know what I am saying.

Like, at work, I will leave a note to the other managers telling them the MU unit is quite cooling properly, but if I were to write that for you guys here, I would write out Make Up Unit. Or CW for Cut and Wrap, or SB for Salad Bar.

Even written out those mean nothing to me...

Kurono

Remember?
    Years
    Ah sorry. Make Up unit is where we make pizzas, Cut and Wrap is where we cut the pizzas and wrap up sandwiches and such.

I imagine I'd get grossly overweight if I worked at a place that made sandwiches and pizzas. How do you resist?

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I hardly know any acronyms. The only time I really use them is when I'm texting and then it's just like "lol/gtg/bbl/nrn/ml/dywtoas". I usually see acronyms and think of them as representing something sexual, even if I already know what they are. I think it'd be a great way to prank someone.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I'm really good at figuring out acronyms. Not sure why; it's kind of a weird skill to have.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    The only acronyms I'm versed in are Army ones from ROTC. SGM, 1SG, 1SGT (those two are distinct), XO, SL, TL, PL, PSGT, AR…, CCR…, AFM…, and some others. Most of you will probably have zero clue what those mean, but for the hell of it (respectively) they mean Sergeant Major, First Sergeant (rank), First Sergeant (position), Executive Officer (second in command), Squad Leader, Team Leader, Platoon Leader, Platoon Sergeant, Army Regulation, Cadet Command Regulation, Army Field Manual…

:3

Years
    I'm really good at figuring out acronyms. Not sure why; it's kind of a weird skill to have.

Teach me your ways ;; I mean, I know the basic internet ones, but when people start throwing random ones that were popular apparently like 5 years ago, I'm like @_@

Kurono

Remember?
    Years
    Teach me your ways ;; I mean, I know the basic internet ones, but when people start throwing random ones that were popular apparently like 5 years ago, I'm like @_@

Look them up until you have them committed to memory.

tl;dr: lmgtfy

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Look them up until you have them committed to memory.

tl;dr: lmgtfy

This is more than that though - it's not just memorizing things, I can look at an acronym and from context clue figure out what it means. Like IANAL, and OTOH, things like that. There are a few that throw me for a loop every time I see them though, even if I had previously learned what they meant.

Kurono

Remember?
    Years
    This is more than that though - it's not just memorizing things, I can look at an acronym and from context clue figure out what it means. Like IANAL, and OTOH, things like that. There are a few that throw me for a loop every time I see them though, even if I had previously learned what they meant.

True, understanding context is incredibly important, too -- especially when transcribing common speech. Regardless, it comes down to repetition and recognition, right?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back