• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious Interactions with cops

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    Note: not a debate thread, if you wish to debate with others about the presence of the police in contemporary society, make your own thread on the topic

What have been your interactions with the police? Were they positive? Negative? Did they inform your later perceptions/interactions?

Years
  • Pretty much had polite interactions with cops both in America and Japan. I have always tried my best to be as forthright and non threatening as possible. Although the first time I ever got pulled over I did cry.

Years
  • My few interactions with cops have mostly been neutral. They didn't leave either a positive nor negative impact in the long term, just people doing their jobs. Although the random breath test in the middle of a roundabout was a dick move lmao. I do know a cop and he's a nice enough, funny guy so there's that. I don't really count him though because I've never interacted with him as a cop.

Years
  • China has been fine, very helpful with retrieving my lost camera actually.

From my own experience in the UK generally they have had a jobsworth self important attitude. If you're a guy think the same kind of attitude bouncers have when deciding if you should be oh so worthy enough to enter their club or not.

My cousin became one for a time and we had a falling out when I used to post political/social stuff online and I would highlight police negligence.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Cops have always been nice and cool here. Whenever I see a policeman or police car downtown, I feel safe.

My most recent interaction was when me and several neighbors called the cops due to a violent argument below us in the apartment building. A cop came by shortly after to take a witness statement from me. Poor guy was in full gear in 30 degree heat! We gave him water but he didn't want an ice cream.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    All the interactions I've had with cops have been too brief to really form any sort of thoughts from it.

I often get mildly nervous though when I see a cop car on the road when I'm driving. Never have that happen with in-person interactions iirc.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I've had lots of interactions with the police! All of which spanned from really good to absolutely terrible, lol. That said, it was only terrible when I really, really deserved it. And even then, they were still very nice to me compared to my then boyfriend.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I'd say they are pretty positive. I have yet to do anything that pisses them off. *shrug* I mean, I do tend to feel uncomfortable around them. It used to be so bad that every time my dad had a few slight run-ins with them (nothing major just little things), I would meltdown. However, I realize that a lot of times they think that something happened... so they show concern for me. I stopped getting worked up over them. I think the reason I feel like this is because of a few horror stories I've heard from other autistics about how they treat us for "behaving differently". idk.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • my first interaction with a cop was actually really shitty. i got pulled over for doing 35 in a. 35. it was also dark out and i was a tiny very female presenting 18 year old so lmfao i didn't actually pull over until i was in an area with lights. he was the most redneck asshole though. he said i was going too slow in the fast lane, even though traffic was backed up because of construction cones and shit. i was shaking and he was just berating me saying "they didn't teach you this in driver's ed?!?!?!" and just fucking awful to me. i wish i had gotten his name and reported him for how he treated me, but you know how that goes. wouldn't have done shit. either way, he didn't give me a ticket and i hope that he didn't bc he realized how in the wrong he was for singling me out to pull me over when i was going with the flow of traffic that night. just. fucking ridiculous.

aside from that, my interactions with cops have been whatever. i don't like cops and generally don't trust them.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    HAHA, one of my car lights were out, and I was like "MY BAD OFFICER", and turned the car off and on again, and the light kicked on, and he was like "oh, sorry".

More recently they pulled me over because of a tail light that I wasn't aware of prior, and I was just like "Wow, thanks for pulling me over and telling me. Have a nice day. :>"

He left without doing much. lol

Emilia

~ free falling
    Years
  • I'm honestly kind of intimidated by them but I also look up to them, if that makes sense.. I gotta say that any reaction I've had with them was rather positive.
    My parents watch this one show called Live PD and it shows the cameras they have on them, so seeing what they have to go through with every day on their job makes me appreciate them (also the police dogs are TOO CUTE ♥)
    Of course there is always that one bad apple to ruin the bunch, but I haven't met any of those myself. :p

Bay

Years
  • My most memorable interaction with a cop was when I was learning to drive and my dad was teaching me. A police car came behind us and I stopped next to a curb. The policeman came to me and after I showed him my learners permit he was surprised at how young I look, haha.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
  • For the most part I've only had good interactions with the police. When I was learning how to drive I took part in a program that has police officers teach you, and my most memorable experience was getting onto the highway with a speed limit of 55 while doing 55, having the officer lean over and lower his aviator shades to look at the speedometer then say "speed up". I literally did a double take at him and kinda went "are you serious? I'd be speeding!" TLDR apparently as long as you're not disrupting the flow of traffic most of the cops in my area don't care if you're speeding.

When I was living in DC last summer too and working as a member of staff for politicians' offices, there were a lot of cops around where I lived which comforted me a lot since it wasn't uncommon for people to follow and harass staff/interns on their way home. I befriend two of the ones who worked in my buildings quite well and chatted with them a lot when I got off work every day. My favorite story from one of them was one of them had to arrest a lady for bathing in one of the fountains near the senate building.

In my current job we also share the building with the local police department and they're all very nice people. But it's still a terrifying experience to see them on the highway and stuff since I really don't want to get a ticket anytime soon. ^^;

Eatinabird

The wise one :P
    Years
  • Honestly, I've been pulled over 3 times since I've had a DL. The first time, it was a super young and super nice guy-No ticket. Just a verbal warning. Second time, I was speeding and almost late to work, got pulled over and Deputy didn't give me a ticket. 3rd time I got pulled over, I tried to pass a car on the left on a one lane road in a rural area that was going below the speed limit (for those not from the states, basically, you can only pass on the left as long as there is no traffic as well as the lane on the left doesn't have a yellow line) I got pulled over for coming to close to causing an accident. Got a ticket and fined. All in all though, I really have had nothing but good dealings with Law Enforcement here.

Back