• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Items You Never Use

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
  • Are there any items that you never use? Is there some item that whenever you find it, you can't help but say "Ugh, not another one", or something to that effect?

For me, it's any one of those stat boosting items (e.g. Choice Scarf, Black Glasses, Miracle Seed, Mystic Water, etc.) The stat boost is nice, but it's not nearly a big enough boost to make a significant difference in battle, so most often they just end up taking up space in my bag -_- Also, I've never been fond of using any of the "X" items (X-Attack, X-Defeind, etc.) Even though I do see where they would be useful, for some reason I've just never really found myself needing them in battle.

How about you all? What are some items that you never use?

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • I honestly don't think I've ever used an X item in my life! X Attack, Defence, Special, Speed, Accuaracy... none of 'em! They just seem pretty useless to me, for example and X Attack is 1/2 of a Swords Dance... I'd understand if it was a +2 boost but it's a measly +1. I mean even Work Up is better for goodness sake! In game especially there isn't a need for them because rarely ever do I see it as too hard and that I'd need boosts, and their not eligible for Competitive because items aren't allowed to be used! The only X items I think I've ever seen be used is during the finale of Pokémon Colosseum where Evice gives X Attacks to his already gargantuan Pokémon!

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    The X-items, Great Balls. No, I don't use them. As well as as the Elemental boosting items, bar Mystic Water and Never-melt Ice.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • Like Achromatic Said, X-Items is also a useless item for me, and also if i wish to sell them they are sold in Very low Price which makes me hate them more than ever.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    You know moves like Work Out, Coil, Acupuncture, Sword Dance, Quiver Dance and any stats boosting moves are far more better than X-items as these things are much useless if you have a decent stats boosting moves that could do better and sword dance is twice the level of using X attack

All type boosters/plates are useless since gems gives decent type boost than any of those items.
    The choice items they do give a decent stats boost, but limiting only the move you previously choose so I'm not a big fan of it.

If I got better balls, Other balls that couldn't do better just let it rot and never use it as I got great ball, I abandon pokeball, got/bought ultra balls I won't use great ball or poke ball same applies if I got a better healing item I tend to never use those that heal less those healing items

Years
  • Like everyone else said, the X-items are completely and utterly useless to me. I don't think I ever used one of them in my life. I usually sell them, even though they are worth little.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • Wow, I came in here specifically to say the X-items before I even knew everyone else found them useless. I just sell them... and ever since Super Training (and usually before that, too) I just sell vitamins as well.

I also never use Full Restores unless I ABSOLUTELY have to... entirely because they're so good that I'm paranoid about wasting them... so I just never use them.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Haha, yea, everyone's on the same page about the X items. I think they could potentially be useful if they were available earlier in the game, and were a bit cheaper. But by the time they become available, there are far better ways to boost your stats, like moves that boost multiple stats in one turn.

Another item worth mentioning is Full Restore. I do use it when necessary, but I never buy them, because it's way to expensive. Who wants to spend 3000 Pokedollars on 1/6 of a Pokemon Center?

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Past or Retro gens, X items are consider useful, but current gens they lose usefulness. I spend too much money on Full Restore due to my deficiency of spending my earnings :P

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Yeah, I too hate the X items. They're pretty much useless but Game Freak makes them hidden items everywhere. It's very sad.
    But if I'm really being honest the only items I actually do use during the game are various Poké Balls, Revives and Full Restores. I don't even bother with those lower level potions.

Years
  • Yeah I've never used the X items either, always managed to get by without them, though I'm sure if you know what you're doing they could be useful. For me though, the simpler and quicker the better!

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • Haha, yea, everyone's on the same page about the X items. I think they could potentially be useful if they were available earlier in the game, and were a bit cheaper. But by the time they become available, there are far better ways to boost your stats, like moves that boost multiple stats in one turn.

Another item worth mentioning is Full Restore. I do use it when necessary, but I never buy them, because it's way to expensive. Who wants to spend 3000 Pokedollars on 1/6 of a Pokemon Center?
    I can see the logic against the Full Restores, but honestly... they've saved me a LOT during the Elite Four in specific games. Having to go through a total of five end game battles without a Pokemon Center can take a huge toll on your team, and I hate the process of having to pop two or three healing items sometimes per Pokemon, and then a status healer, when I could just use a single Full Restore. Overall, though... I just tend to not use them much because I'm terrified I'll need them later.

Meng Jiaxin

Dragonlord of the Seas
    Years
  • I usually just don't use any items bought at the Poke Mart at all (excepting Pokeballs and TMs). Potions pale in comparison to drinks (especially in terms of price), status heals are not as useful as food, and I can usually last till the next Poke Centre anyway. As for boost items, I always forget to equip/change them so it really isn't all that helpful actually. And yes, X items are the most useless of all.

Usually I just sell everything to buy clothes in XY.

Years
  • I'm in the same boat as Spoony. I never really used X items all that much, despite all the stuff I hear about how they can save your ass in battle at times.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • There's a lot of them: X items, repels, escape ropes, heal balls, great balls, rare candies and any healing items. The latter is an exception when I'm in the Elite Four, I sometimes have an unbalanced team and don't want to battle it over and over again before being able to beat it. Besides, beating the E4 gets you more money than the cost of a couple of hyper potions and revives.

Nurse Joy

Would you like to rest your Pokémon?
    Years
  • Welp, everyone agrees that they hate X- items. I think nowadays their only usefulness is for one of those scientists or trainers in the Pokemon Trainer School to use... OH, and the gym trainers in Norman's gym. That's probably the only reason they keep them. I personally sell them as soon as I get them, albeit for a very measly amount of coin.
    I also never use items like Mystic Water and Miracle Seed. They only give a 10% boost, so what's the point? Max Revives and Rare Candies go unused as well. Since you can't buy them, I'm always afraid if I use them, I won't have any when I need them in the future (such as in the Pokemon League), and pretty much never use them.

I'm such a neat freak that I hate how you have to keep useless Key Items like keys to places you never go ever again. I wish you could sell those things. Why would I ever go back in Silph Co. or the Galactic Warehouse???​

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • I'm such a neat freak that I hate how you have to keep useless Key Items like keys to places you never go ever again. I wish you could sell those things. Why would I ever go back in Silph Co. or the Galactic Warehouse???​

Yeah, remember the days of the first generation in which your bag size was so terribly small? I recall myself getting really annoyed by having to carry the SS Anne ticket along, occupying a valuable place in your bag and I couldn't even discard it! (Luckily I found out it could be stored on the pc.)
    I don't know about selling those things. Why would a basic shopkeeper want to buy a key of the warehouse of an evil team?

Back