• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transexual) anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
  • This thread is long. Don't kill me for not reading through it all? D=

I'd like to keep in flow with the conversation and not randomly waltz in with problems/ demanding answers etc. So, I'll say that I'm not quite sure what I believe, but that there is something there, (I think the word is agnostic?) and that any benevolent higher power (a god or otherwise) would be above the idea of two people's gender affecting their love.

I kinda just wanted to say hello/I'm gay too.And also it seems a good place to ask a question that's been troubling me, something I'm sure a lot of gay guys go through. One of my straight friends, I kind of have a huge crush on him, he knows I'm gay and I've even told him I like him and we've remained friends.

I don't want advice getting with him, because he's not gay, and I know that won't happen. But I keep imagining myself in romantic situations with him. I dunno how to get over him. I've tried just stopping thinking about him like that, but I see him all the time because he's part of my group of friends and I can't just tell him to go away when we're all sitting together at school. So he's kind of always in my head.

So I kinda wanna know, has this (or something similar) ever happened to you? How'd you get over them? (Or do I need to get over myself because I'm just another whiny teenager?)

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • This thread is long. Don't kill me for not reading through it all? D=

I'd like to keep in flow with the conversation and not randomly waltz in with problems/ demanding answers etc. So, I'll say that I'm not quite sure what I believe, but that there is something there, (I think the word is agnostic?) and that any benevolent higher power (a god or otherwise) would be above the idea of two people's gender affecting their love.

I kinda just wanted to say hello/I'm gay too.And also it seems a good place to ask a question that's been troubling me, something I'm sure a lot of gay guys go through. One of my straight friends, I kind of have a huge crush on him, he knows I'm gay and I've even told him I like him and we've remained friends.

I don't want advice getting with him, because he's not gay, and I know that won't happen. But I keep imagining myself in romantic situations with him. I dunno how to get over him. I've tried just stopping thinking about him like that, but I see him all the time because he's part of my group of friends and I can't just tell him to go away when we're all sitting together at school. So he's kind of always in my head.

So I kinda wanna know, has this (or something similar) ever happened to you? How'd you get over them? (Or do I need to get over myself because I'm just another whiny teenager?)

I think you just need to... (thinking of how to word this) find another outlet for your affections. Maybe not even an affectionate outlet. Convert it to something else. Perhaps?
    It is a real problem. :/ Sorry if I'm not helping at all.

Cebalrai

Your Burmy Buddy!
    Years
  • Yeah, me and my best friend have that same problem, mr. Daydream. Except everyone thinks he's gay and that I'm straight.

There's not much you can do besides...Well...Wait until it has passed.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • I admire your bravery in admitting your feelings, Daydream. I see two friends like that, both know I'm gay but I'd never tell them in a million years that I actually like them...

Being that I'm in your situation, I can't really offer solid advice other than "try thinking about other people". :V

EDIT: Holy, popular topic we have here, huh? XD

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    That's good that you told him and you're still friends. :3 Most people aren't so understanding. D:

This is the advertisement at the bottom of the screen. I want to go to Palm Springs now.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    No.

You live in California and you haven't heard of Proposition 8? Wow. This really tells me you have no idea what is going on in the world. You are so ignorant to the world around you, you have no idea what is happening locally.

That is very sad. Very sad indeed.

Gay marriage WAS *past tense* allowed in California, until November 2008 when Proposition 8 was passed, which revoked *took away* the right for gay people to get married.

Currently, the state of California is being sued by a couple of gay couples over Proposition 8, however it is not over yet. If they win, gay marriage will be allowed again. If not, it wont. But as of now, it is banned by the constitution of California.

Voting on whether if Proposition 8 should remain will come back later this year, notice I said later, which means it has not happened yet; thus, gay marriage is still banned.

There are only domestic partnerships, which do not give people the same rights and economic liberties that marriage does. Therefore, it is not equal as already stated.

But seriously, stop posting. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Every time you post an alien planet will be blown up. Surely you believe that.

Gay marriage under the word "marriage" was banned by Proposition 8 but all of the same rights are guaranteed under Cal. Fam. Code that provides for doemstic partnerships. If you are a same-sex couple or a heterosexual couple where one of the persons is 62 or older you can register a domestic partnership and you get all of the rights of marriage within the state of California.

Have you ever heard of something called the Defense of Marriage Act? If you have you would know that overturning Prop 8 will do nothing but allow same-sex couples to call themeselves married, but they'd still have all the same rights that domestic partnerships provide. If you want federal level rights, you people should be challenging DOMA in federal court, not Prop 8.

Kon~

Years
  • Gay marriage under the word "marriage" was banned by Proposition 8 but all of the same rights are guaranteed under Cal. Fam. Code that provides for doemstic partnerships. If you are a same-sex couple or a heterosexual couple where one of the persons is 62 or older you can register a domestic partnership and you get all of the rights of marriage within the state of California.

Have you ever heard of something called the Defense of Marriage Act? If you have you would know that overturning Prop 8 will do nothing but allow same-sex couples to call themeselves married, but they'd still have all the same rights that domestic partnerships provide. If you want federal level rights, you people should be challenging DOMA in federal court, not Prop 8.

...wait, what? Are you sure? And that makes sense to you how?

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Gay marriage under the word "marriage" was banned by Proposition 8 but all of the same rights are guaranteed under Cal. Fam. Code that provides for doemstic partnerships. If you are a same-sex couple or a heterosexual couple where one of the persons is 62 or older you can register a domestic partnership and you get all of the rights of marriage within the state of California.

"62 or older"

That applies to what..2% of all the couples? 3% at most?

And stop bringing up the Defense of Marriage Act, you're too stupid to understand that when a state passes an amendment allowing equal marriage it nullifies the Defense of Marriage Act. :|

And have you not noticed yet, that every time (I am not including myself) you post multiple people either:

1. Point out the flaws.
    2. Say it makes no sense.
    3. Call you a complete idiot.

Every time. I think that says something about your posts. :|

Kon~

Years
  • @FreakyLocz14 - I think you need to leave this thread before the hole you're digging gets any deeper. You quite clearly don't understand what you're trying to defend, and are failing at doing so.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    DOMA can only be nullified when the US Supreme Cour says it is or Congress repeals it. In states where there is same-sex marriage, couples there still cannot get federal marriage benefits, for example, married same-sex couples in Iowa and Mass cannot file jointly on their federal income tax forms while those with a domestic partnership can file jointly for state tax purposes, state sponsored social benefit programs, and their children are considered to have married parents for state funded financial aid purposes when they attend a college within California.

You meant to say that you think DOMA should be nullified but it's not. Marriage is a state issue so DOMA can't control a state's marriage laws. All DOMA does is say that only male-female marriages are recognized for the purposes of determining how federal benefits will be handled.

I think the reason why the Supreme Court hasn't taken up the marriage issue yet is because marriage is a state issue.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    DOMA can only be nullified when the US Supreme Cour says it is or Congress repeals it. In states where there is same-sex marriage, couples there still cannot get federal marriage benefits, for example, married same-sex couples in Iowa and Mass cannot file jointly on their federal income tax forms while those with a domestic partnership can file jointly for state tax purposes, state sponsored social benefit programs, and their children are considered to have married parents for state funded financial aid purposes when they attend a college within California.

Not true. There use to be nation wide Sodomy Laws which made acts of male homosexual sex illegal nation-wide. That was passed by congress and the supreme court. But, states reversed it just for their state by their self. It wasn't revoked nation-wide until 2003, which before that there were I think 10 states where the law was still in affect.

You don't know anything about how the government works, do you?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Not true. There use to be nation wide Sodomy Laws which made acts of male homosexual sex illegal nation-wide. That was passed by congress and the supreme court. But, states reversed it just for their state by their self. It wasn't revoked nation-wide until 2003, which before that there were I think 10 states where the law was still in affect.

You don't know anything about how the government works, do you?

Sodomy laws have nothing to do with marriage laws or federal benefits but since we're on the topic.

There were no federal sodomy laws those were all state lawsStates did repeal sodomy laws because they wanted to, not because the Feds told them too until the 2003 Supreme Court case Lawrence v. Texas struck them down.

Congress had nothing to do with the repeal of sodomy laws the Court did that.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Sodomy laws have nothing to do with marriage laws or federal benefits but since we're on the topic.

There were no federal sodomy laws those were all state lawsStates did repeal sodomy laws because they wanted to, not because the Feds told them too until the 2003 Supreme Court case Lawrence v. Texas struck them down.

Congress had nothing to do with the repeal of sodomy laws the Court did that.

No, but they were federal, just like your "Defence of Marriage Act."

And, I never said Congress had anything to do with the repeal of the laws. They had something to do with the passing of them.

Read.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    No, but they were federal, just like your "Defence of Marriage Act."

And, I never said Congress had anything to do with the repeal of the laws. They had something to do with the passing of them.

Read.

No, Congress had nothing to do with those laws because they were State laws. They were passed either by state legislatures of by popular vote but most by the first.

Kon~

Years
  • Right, ignoring all mention of DOMA and such and such, is it not true that Section 7.5 of the Declaration of Rights states that "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California." ?

Surely that is the short answer.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • Can we end this arguement? It's going nowhere =(

My situation has worsened with the guy I like. He's told the girl he's be in an on/off relationship with about my sexuality...

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • So you like this guy, and you told him you're gay/bi then he told his girlfriend?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Right, ignoring all mention of DOMA and such and such, is it not true that Section 7.5 of the Declaration of Rights states that "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California." ?

Surely that is the short answer.

Yes that is true but we have an exact replica or marriage under the Family Code it's not called "marriage" but in practice it is essentially the same thing aside from one difference. You have to be residing together to get a Domestic Partnership but the legislature is considering doing away with the residency requirement.

Look, I'm all for equality. I'm just pointing out how futile challenging Prop 8 in Court is.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • Okay, I told him I was gay last year and out of shock, he told his girlfriend at that time. Me and her are actually really close now. But, now he;s with another girl and he told her, thinking everything'd be fine and it's not a big deal. He doesn't seem to understand that its my SEXUALITY that I TRUSTED him with...

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Okay, I told him I was gay last year and out of shock, he told his girlfriend at that time. Me and her are actually really close now. But, now he;s with another girl and he told her, thinking everything'd be fine and it's not a big deal. He doesn't seem to understand that its my SEXUALITY that I TRUSTED him with...

People are douches sometimes. Even if they're good friends :/ I wouldn't know what to do in that sorta situation personally, but I hope you and him sorted it out. Whether that means you stop being his friend, or if you two worked it out, is pretty much up to you.. but I hope at least it got all sorted and that you're wary of who to tell next time. I can see how it might be hard to tell the world even if you might want to.. but either way best of luck to you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back