• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lillie & Kanto in USUM

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
    When SM ended, Lillie gave her goodbyes to us as she took off to Kanto.

With USUM being the sequel to SM, do you think Lillie will return to Alola with more Kanto Pokémon to love? Do you think she'll give us a link that we will be able to visit & explore Kanto in the post game? Discuss below!

I think there could be a chance that Lillie will become a Kahuna/Trial Leader/Elite Four Member from her training in the Kanto region if she does return. It also does bring the possibility of her becoming a figure in Kanto later on in the franchise if she does not come back to USUM.

Years
    Travelling to Kanto feels unlikely, since I feel that travelling to a second region aspect is pretty much a Johto game exclusive thing. But it would still be great to see Lillie reveal what she did while she was away in Kanto.

Years
    I think Lillie will return to Alola with some Kanto Pokemon, but I highly doubt we'll be able to travel to Kanto. I do see her as becoming your main rival though.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    We are not going back to kanto. Never again. That region is stale and overused. Plus we don't get multi region games a side from GSC and HGSS.

pkmin3033

Am I the only one who is hoping that Lillie isn't in these games? I mean, do people really want to play through another game where she holds your hand for the entirety of it? It's exactly what will happen if she shows up if these games are alternate stories rather than direct sequels, which I think is fairly obvious that they aren't by this point. I can't see them sidelining her; it'll be either a different sort of role - which seems most likely to me - or complete omission.

Maybe by Pokemon standards she's not a bad character, but given how low Pokemon standards are when it comes to NPC characterisation and story, that's really not saying anything positive.

pkmin3033

Lillie's hand-holding isn't even necessarily her fault specifically; I'd argue that's just the direction Game Freak wants to take these games. It's been fairly obvious since Gen V anyway that other NPCs that were once kind of irrelevant Pre-Gen IV or Vish are increasingly coming into focus. Even if it isn't Lillie that we'll see, it'll most likely be the case that another debatably obnoxious NPC will take her place.

Basically, don't get your hopes high at all for any sort of focus shifting back to the player as it was years and years back. That requires a sudden shift away from recent Pokemon games being so plot-centered, and I see that as unlikely.
    Maybe not, but it doesn't do anything for what little character she possesses. I suppose if not Lillie we could end up with someone worse, but we could also end up with someone better. If things don't change, they will never change. If they want to differentiate US/UM from S/M properly, then not having Lillie as your unofficial unwanted tour guide would make sense to me. If she's in the exact same role, even if her personality is changed a little bit, it's going to feel - and I expect more people than just me will feel this - like you're playing through the exact same game.

I disagree very strongly with that - it is entirely possible to have a player focused story with a silent protagonist, no shift away from plot-centered games is required at all for that - but then I can see your point that GF are unlikely to do that...that it would be impossible for them at least. I have zero hopes for this, so it's all good.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I would really like to explore Kanto postgame, but I just don't see it happening in USM. I think (and hope) Lillie will return in these games regardless, best case scenario would be her returning and travelling through Alola once again with the new plot. Perhaps she's collected all the Kanto badges and is now back to collect the Alola badges from the new Gyms?

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Travelling to a second region is so unlikely, but if we do I hope it is not Kanto. i'd much prefer Kalos over it.

I don't think these are sequels, but I think Lillie is going to have a much different role. She might already have confidence in herself and be a main rival, as opposed to her S/M universe self.

thedarkdragon11

New World Pirate
    Years
    My hope is that Lillie will return as the reigning Kanto champion who is slaying other region's champions (Johto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos) with Sinnoh (Cynthia is in the Battle Tree) and Alola champions (and maybe Red and Blue) as her next targets...

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Lillie should not be a rival or champion. I never liked her character. Better if we had someone to replace her.

pkmin3033

Outright confirmed, no, but the wording in the trailer heavily implies that these won't be direct sequels at the very least. At least, not in the manner that B2W2 were.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
    I agree with Alexander18 both times. Kanto is way to overused. It is sooooo stale and I think they stripped it to the bone. There is NOTHING there that we do not know about, and if they do add something, I hope its something cool, like Alolan Mewtwo or Mew. And I HATE LILLIE... She is annoying, irritating, and sometimes just lame. "Z Lillie"? What the heck? She was better off being scared of everything. Why not a reference to Mega's, like Mega Lillie? Why not something cool like that? I hope we get a more fun loving dude like Hau to help us through and not Lilie. I swear, even Bianca was better than her. And wait if these are alternate universe things, then I will grab a pillow and suffocate myself, because NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GF has wasted another great oppurtunity. I get it if they think that it might seem like B2/W2, but its a wasted uppurtunity. Who didn't like them? They had an epic story, and an equally dope post game. I hope they are sequels and not remakes. PLEASE tell me that all of you guys also want sequels?

Last edited by a moderator:

pkmin3033

I don't think Kanto is any more over-used than Johto or Hoenn, given that it's only had a single remake - and that was a long time ago, too; over thirteen years ago now! - but at the same time I am in no hurry to revisit the region any time soon, given that it was also postgame in HGSS...which was also a long time ago, but even so. Just because Lillie went to Kanto at the end of S/M does not mean I want to follow her there...in fact, given my dislike of her, I'd prefer she stayed there and we could just forget about her.

I think either way we'll be seeing her though, much as I wish otherwise. Given the inexplicably positive reception she's received, it would be strange for her not to be in USUM in some form. If these are games set in the alternate world, I would presume there would be an alternate Lillie, and if they are sequels, presumably she would return from Kanto, having completed her journey there. There is no escaping Lillie.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    Lillie starts off timid, uncertain, and weak. Then, when things get serious, she decides that she's tired of running and that she has an obligation to stop her mother. So she changes clothes, ties her hair up, and...still needs us to help her face the challenges ahead of her. {XD} Okay, I'm not a big fan of hers, but I don't outright hate the girl. Showing her becoming a trainer, and maybe a battle or two would be nice.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Lillie could return but i wouldn't care for it. Lusamine and Gladion were the only ones of the family i like. And yes, kanto was overused.

Back