• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mega Evolutions in Alola

Which would you rather they add more of in Sun/Moon?

• Total voters

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
  • I definitely think there will be Mega-evolutions in the new game.

I think they are using the hype that Pokemon Go created with the original Kanto pokemon. Everyone is freaking out over them now, so the company is taking advantage of it and showing those forms first.

As time goes on, I am sure they will reveal some new Megas. I hope there is a Mega Raichu, though :3

Years
  • I'd be very surprised if Game Freak removed the feature entirely so I guess we'll get some more megas. I'm gonna go with the idea that they'll be a post-game think, with Alolan forms taking center stage during the main story.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I've never been the biggest fan of Mega Evolution, but I'd be a tad pissed if GF suddenly dropped the feature after spending so much time promoting and hyping it up. Gen 6 already feels enough like a pointless filler gen. :(

That being said, if Sun/Moon did drop Mega Evolution, I wonder what that would mean for Gen 7's placement in the timeline? Remember that the timeline of XY and ORAS is based around AZ's war happening and Mega Evolution existing, so Sun/Moon lacking Megas would put Gen 7 in either of the older timelines (RBY/GSC or RSE/FRLG/DPP/HGSS/BW/B2W2) or an entirely new one.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I'm skeptical about there being no new Megas in SM. Why make such a revolutionary new gameplay mechanic if they don't plan on making any more post the introductory gen? That's almost like saying "Hey, I know we made Fairy-Types last gen, buuuuuuut how about we make no new Fairy-Types this gen?"

And people are super excited for this "regional form" thing, but if, say, they don't make new Megas past this point, what's to stop Alola forms as being, well, Alola-exclusive? Will these "regional differences" be so appealing in the long run if they only apply in Alola, and not, say, other new (or remake) regions? If you love the idea of Alola forms, wouldn't you find "Sinnoh forms" and "Super Cool New Region forms" just as exciting? Well, if Megas can so easily be tossed aside in the very next generation, I would say the same could very well apply for "regional differences."

So I'd say, for everyone's benefit, there should be some new Megas, even if it's a low number and mostly/completely delegated to the post-game. (And, as an aside, if it turns out there are some connections to Kalos in SM, it would actually be very appropriate for Megas to be a more post-game focused feature.)

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    That's the thing, though. The fact that we've been swamped with all of these new Pokemon trailer after trailer, and zero mention of what's going to happen to Megas kinda leads one to believe that they might be a bottom priority for this generation. Of course, we still have three months left to go, so anything can be revealed between now and November, but I'm not really that hopeful that we're going to get a whole lot of Megas if Alola forms are going to be the new form change this generation.

Since Megas aren't a new thing by themselves, and if they do keep them as more of a post-game obtainable (a good idea, in my opinion), it would make sense to reveal them closer to the games' release...or actually not reveal any at all. XY didn't reveal all its Megas pre-release, which I enjoyed very much. It was very fun going through the game and seeing who had gotten a Mega that I didn't know about--the exact opposite of what ORAS did.

Years
  • Actually, you do raise a point now that you mentioned X/Y... they really didn't reveal any Megas before release in X/Y? That's really interesting... I wonder if the same is going to apply here. Hm.

They did reveal a few Megas before release, notably the Kanto starters, Garchomp, Mewtwo, Blaziken, Mawile, Ampharos, Lucario and Absol. We didn't get all the Megas revealed before the release, which meant some Megas were kept secret until the games were out.

The Megas introduced in OR/AS were all revealed before the release which was a disappointment to some because it meant there were no secrets left to discover in-game.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • Think of little Billy. His favourite Pokemon is Mega Charizard X. If you want megas gone, you are a heartless monster, and you are making little Billy cry. :'(

Not adding more on the other hand, I wouldn't really mind. I'd rather a few more to tide us over though. Maybe make the player's discovery of Mega Evolution a cool post-game arc.

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2017
    Here's another thing to consider:

What if Alola takes place in another separate timeline/dimension from the X/Y and ORAS? And the Alola formes are another form of evolution?

While I'd hate to be the one who brings up the teneuous, rather meager and stupid connection between the games, it could entirely possible megas were removed. Not to mentioned all the rumors flying around the NX also being a handheld... I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say there is a chance they removed megas entirely, or at least, temporarily.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'm really not sure removing megas would work in their favour tbh. They have become such a big part of the franchise so to remove something so revolutionary would just seem a little off? It felt like they really worked hard and pushed this concept forward which means its probably something they'd like to continue if possible. Obviously the emphasis doesn't have to be anywhere near as much as X/Y had, but I still think they will fit into S/M somewhere. I'd even go as far to say we'll see even more new megas for gen VII.

Stormelli

Chillin' like a villain
    Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2016
    I do think that Megas will be in Sun and Moon, but similar to how they were in ORAS, where there was more emphasis on the primal evolutions, storyline, and post game to make up for XY's lackluster one. They were more of a mid-late game sort of thing.

Honestly I hope that we do get more Megas, but not Megas of the Pokemon that are already powerful fan favorites like Lucario, Garchomp, and Gardevoir. I feel like between Megas and Fairy typing, Gen 6 had a lot of balancing issues, so in order to fix that, they're introducing Z-Moves, to give weaker Pokemon without Megas a little bit of firepower behind them, and Alola forms to re-hype the old stuff.

Plus, not only were Megas super popular (and they also fixed some boring shinies like Gengar), why would they go through all the work to design around 30 new Mega forms, only to dump them in the next generation? Unless Z-Moves are scrapped in Gen 8, and it becomes a cycle of some new gimmick every generation...

But like a lot of people are thinking, if they ARE coming back, why haven't they shown any new Megas or even had confirmation that Megas are returning?

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
    Years
  • I really don't get how anyone is even entertaining the idea that they would remove mega evolution for a generation. They have never done anything even close to that before and they just don't remove integral parts of the battle system. They've never deleted a move, or an ability, or a pokémon (even a forme!) before. Why would they decide to pull out dozens of essentially separate pokémon that people have enjoyed battling with for a main series game & remake?

I'd like some discussion on what their motivation for removing megas would be, I've not seen any of that and I can't think of any positives myself. It's not like the presence of megas in the game makes their job significantly harder, or that the existence of megas would strain any sort of plot.

Maybe there won't be new megas this generation, but if there aren't then there's still gonna be a random point in the game where you receive a key stone and the mega stones will be findable somewhere, even if only in the post-game.

Years
  • I think Angie has a point. I don't think Mega Evolution will be scrapped in favor of Alola Forms but I think they can both coexist within Alola.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Oh god, I hope not. I despise Mega Evolution with a burning passion. Let's take a break from it this time around. =/ I'd rather see more Alolan forms than Mega Evolution.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • It'll be weird and completely stupid on Game Freak's part to just drop Megas immediately after it was introduced because the backlash...

But I would really want to see more Alolan forms. Because I have more interest in those form designs than the Megas.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2016
    I would quite like it if mega-evolutions were de-emphasised in this generation; and even ignored completely. I'm not particularly happy about the 'Z-moves' thing, which I see as rather redundant given that we already have megas.

Basically I'm worried about the power creep; I feel like the average strength of pokemon is increasing and getting to ridiculous proportions. Balance tweaks are good in principle but they shouldn't only involve weak pokemon getting stronger - strong pokemon should also get weaker.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I'm holding out hope that any Mega forms with be revealed later or a surprise within the games. Mega Evolutions are essentially new Pokemon in their own right, so I highly doubt they would be forgotten so quickly.

Years
  • Oh god, I hope not. I despise Mega Evolution with a burning passion. Let's take a break from it this time around. =/ I'd rather see more Alolan forms than Mega Evolution.

This is how I feel. Mega Evolution is cool, but I am more intrigued by the Alola forms.

We had Mega Evolution in XY and ORAS, so it would be nice to have a break from it in my opinion. Or maybe that could be for post-game.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • Raichu at least needs something to help it stand apart from Pikachu, who's stealing all its thunder.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! My prayers are have been answered! :D

raichu-930x500.jpg

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Some people are posting about removing Megas and that's not what I meant by this thread at all; of course Gamefreak isn't just going to REMOVE a feature entirely :x

It seems like Megas are kind of taking the backseat compared to Alola forms, though. Especially if Alola forms have stat changes.

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2019
    I don't think there's going to be any new megas this generation. But I really hope they don't take it out of the game. It wouldn't be very satisfying to transfer my XY and ORAS pokemon over to Moon and find out they can't make use of those mega stones. :/

Back