• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Mega pokemon overpowered?

Years
  • Ever since I got the the ability to mega evolve my pokemon, I saw how fearsome are mega pokemons.
    Their power seems to be equel to psuedo legendary pokemons and even to legendaries.
    Mega Charizard X seems to be a monster, mega gengar by alot of people count as a uber, mega Alakazam is scary(175 special attack, 150 speed),Mega Nawile have 105 attack+huge power ability) and suddenly pinsir seems to be superior to heracross(even though heracross also got mega evo) with his mega evo's stats.
    And the most amazing thing-MegamewtwoY have higher base stats than Arceus(780 base stats).

And I'm sure you all felt how easy the battles are with mega pokemon(I could easily beat the game ith only my MegaCharizardY).

So I would like to know-You think mega evos overpowered? Will you keep use them or it feel to you easy or just like using legendary(like it feels to me)?

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I've used Megaevolution once ingame. It was during the tutorial battle where you get your first Megaevolution to work. Besides that I used them in online battles especially when the opponents use theirs, although most of the time I could take enemy Megaevos out with my normal Pokemon (a little bit sad since my team isn't the best statwise)

Using Megaevolutions is like using the exp-share: it makes stuff easier but you don't have to use it

Monte Blanc

The White Rabbit
    Years
  • Yes, Mega-Evolution is incredibly gamebreaking. It basically hands you the victory in whatever battle you use it in, as long as you use it wisely (A Lv.100 Arceus in the hands of an 8-year old is no more threatening than a Lv.5 Magikarp).

I plan on breeding a perfect group of Mega-Evolution-capable Pokemon so I can use them whenever I desire. I don't consider them on-par with Legendaries, though. Legendaries are already gifted with phenomenal stats, whereas Mega Pokemon only gain them when they Mega Evolve.

Years
  • well some pokemon can go Uber
    from their ridiculous stats
    I have no regrets for breeding and EV training a gastly LOL'd
    still even though with great stats
    they still have some disadvantages like gengar is prone to earthquake plus no focus sash for him or any items that can recover his HP or help him survive

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    I won't be using any in game cause it would just result in easy sweeps.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2014
    I don't think it is that OP considering you can't wear any other items. Maybe as an in-game team it is overpowered but definetly not in general.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Most of 'em are overpowered, but Houndoom, Ampharos and Abomasnow are on the bottom if we're talking Mega to Mega. Of course those aforementioned trio are still stronger than any average Pokemon out there. :)

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I saw it as a disadvantage in-game for the antagonists, as I was allowed to make the first move while they evolved, regardless of speed (correct me if I'm wrong), which is a huge advantage in many situations.

Edit: Scratch that, they're OP'ed.

Last edited:

ramibas299

GOTTA CATCH EM' ALL!!
    Years
  • Very much so.
    I hope Mega Evolutions will only be on Ubers. Having them in the lower tiers, would be a disaster.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2013
    They're overpowered, but they also have their faults. For example, Mega Abomasnow gets half his speed cut once he mega evolves, and Gardevoir's speed doesn't even improve enough for it to affect the meta game. There are few good ones.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2013
    I tend not to use them offline. As for online, my first experience in a random battle involved my level 25 team being swept by a level 50 Mewtwo X. I bet that guy felt proud.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019
    All of them will hopefully be put in ubers, with those ridiculous stat totals. I hope that the pokemon with mega evolutions stay in their respective tiers. I mean, it would be a bit stupid to put one Pokemon in ubers just because of the mega evolution. They should really be treated as different Pokemon when talking about competitive play.

Years
  • I guess most of them are overpowered compared to many other normal Pokemon who don't have one. Mega Gengar is something else, though.

pokerex

I'm awesome
    Years
  • I only used mega blaziken. and yes he is over powerd. My mega blaziken OHKO'd every pokemon of every trainer in the 8th gym. But it's not only the mega's being over powerd that make this game easy. All my pokemon were overleveled. I haven't grined once and for the most part i had my exp. share turned off. but still my weakest pokemon was 4 levels higher than the strongest pokemon of the champion. and on top of that i took out her entire team with only hawlucha.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Mega-evolved Pokémon are supposed to be a bit overpowered—that was the whole point of having them in the game. When a certain Pokémon transform itself into its mega form, it reaches its fullest potential, which makes it a lot stronger than the rest (well, at least the ones who are non-mega, anyway).

The power of mega Pokémon may be equivalent to those of legendaries, but I don't know if it'd be a good idea to ban them just because of that… legendary Pokémon are banned because you could an have unlimited amount of them on your team, but that certainly isn't the case when it comes to megas. When it comes down to mega Pokémon, everyone is limited to having only one of them on their teams, which, in my opinion, makes it all fair. The opponent might be able to take down a few of your Pokémon with their mega, but you'll be able to counter it pretty easily with your own mega Pokémon, can't you? d:

Currently, I have Mega Blastoise on my team. I absolutely love using it, as its defensive stats are extremely heavy. With its defenses, I have the chance to stall my opponent for quite a few turns. This Pokémon has once been able to take three Thunderbolt attacks in a row—it still didn't faint. This Pokémon has the Mega Launcher ability as well, which gives an additional boost to many special-based attacks that it has access to, such as Water Pulse, Aura Sphere, Dragon Pulse, and Dark Pulse. Mega Blastoise is one of the greatest mega Pokémon that I've gotten my hands on. :)

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • All of them will hopefully be put in ubers, with those ridiculous stat totals. I hope that the pokemon with mega evolutions stay in their respective tiers. I mean, it would be a bit stupid to put one Pokemon in ubers just because of the mega evolution. They should really be treated as different Pokemon when talking about competitive play.

Smogon saying that a certain Pokemon is banned means nothing. It's still allowed everywhere but Smogon servers. You do realize that, right?

Anyway, they are extremely powerful, but they can be defeated. Gengar is especially deadly.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2017
    I find that they are extensions to fully evolved pokémon most of the time, although a few feel like replacements for standalone evolutions (I'm looking at you Mega Mawile and Mega Pinsir). There were a few that were different spins on past pokemon like Mega Amphoros's Dragon typing and Mega Mewtwo X's Fighting type.

I wouldn't personally call them too overpowered due to them having to sacrifice a item slot to go mega; my real issue with them is that most of there designs are pretty ugly, but I'm veering a bit off topic.

Back