• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Misconceptions you had as a child.

King Of The Blues

Still got the Blues, For you.
Years
  • I thought that this would be an interesting and even funny thread to post so fire away.

What are some misconceptions you had as a child?

I'll give you all a misconception I had as a kid. When I would watch or see black and white films or photos. I use to actually think that the people of back then, prior to the 1950's, and everything else was black and white and that no other colours existed in the world. lol

What are some of yours?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I used to think that if you ate Fruit Gushers, your head would turn into a fruit, as shown in the commercials. Yeah, I was that weird back then.

Years
  • what wasn't a misconception for me, tbqh.
    Off my head, I can think of this incident from when I was around three or four:
    My favorite movie at the time was Mary Poppins, and . . . well, I thought if an umbrella would allow her to fly, I'd have similar luck.
    So, one day I climbed my fort/playhouse [which is probably 8 feet in the air or so] and jumped.

Needless to say, I hit the ground. >_>;

Similarly to the OP, because of Wizard of Oz, I thought that the land of Kansas was in black and white.

That's all I can think of right now, but if I remember anything else, I'll edit this post 8D

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I remember watching my first imax movie. It started by showing the camera inside a cab with the cab driving. I freaked out and started crying and told my mom that I didn't want to be driven anywhere because I thought it was real.

Years
  • I thought that the heart was a ball of blood in your body and somehow having blood inside it replenishes energy, gives you power and such. I used to have such an imagination. Where did all that go?

PickupTeam

Free Item Abuser
    Years
  • Oh, the time I spent as an Otherkin for sure. If you don't know what an Otherkin is, it's a person, usually a teenager or early 20s but I knew some that were 40 and 50... a person who believes their soul, mind, spirit, or whatnot is a creature other than human. Commonly you see powerful animals like wolf, lion, eagle, mythical creatures are also common, sometimes even vampires.

I was something akin to Mewtwo, now that I think about it. I was a genetic experiment, a creature built to be the most uberpowerful thing in existence. I had parts from dragons, sea serpents, angels, demons, and a phoenix. Obviously I had a huge ego problem linked to being the outcast. This is usually the case for most Otherkin; some unpopular kid in a small town bored out of his skull, comes up with this ridiculous nonsense to entertain himself. I was lucky enough to eventually discard all these notions and go on with my human life.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Oh! Other misconception!

I thought that you weren't asleep unless you stopped breathing. I used to brag that I had never slept before.

YouMadBro?

Cool Story Bro.
    Years
  • When I was small, I thought if someone died in a movie, they died for real. I cried to my mom, and told her that I never want to be an actress. :P

I also thought when it rained, it was God crying.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • I thought that the people in tv's could also see you. Like the tv was a video call.
    ...weird.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • - Thought that when people laughed in comedy shows, I was supposed to laugh with them.
    - Thought my friend's dad was the lead singer of Hootie and the Blowfish.
    - Thought mice lived in Christmas stockings.
    - Didn't know my name was short for something else till 5th grade, lmao.

Spoiler:

It's spoilered for a reason, lol.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Let's see... Firstly, I thought babies formed in stomachs. (Clearly I was the child of a gastric-brooding frog) Secondly, I thought babies magically happened at parent's commands.

Speaking of which. Stomachs were MAGIC *Cue rainbows shooting out of her hands*

Hmm...

Oh! I thought Summer Vacation lasted perpetually until it randomly ended when I stopped being grateful.

I also thought boys all hated eachother and that I was more pure than everyone else. (It later turned out I confused pure with innocent.)

Speaking of boys, I was a hopeless romantic who constantly flirted with them. (I was also really dang bad at being subtle)

Teachers were automatically female.

Males were just oddly shaped and dressing females.

I had magic powers.

People automatically care about me or my feelings.

Everyone and everything was secretly baby robbing satan spawn out to do the most awful thing imaginable, cut my hair with pairs of scissors even bigger than they are.

Lastly, the world was perfect.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Ah, I remember now, this:

Misconceptions you had as a child.

When I was a kid, I really think my nose will grow long if I lied. I was really scared that time.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I went to a fancy expensive prep school growing up, and so when I was little I thought that dads were all doctors since that was the norm. Also took me a long time to realize a lot of how non-standard things were about that school, especially the kids. How wonderful it was when I discovered the world was a lot more diverse and quirky and awesome! :D

Also when I was 7-ish and my mom was pregnant with my youngest brother, I learned how babies develop in the womb, like all the stages and how organs form and all that science-y stuff. However, I didn't know how the baby got there in the first place, so I thought that when a man and a woman got married, a sperm cell swam out through the man's foot, crossed the floor to the woman and went up through her foot, then to where the egg cell was and voilà - a baby! Not a very fun way to go about it, though.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    What are some misconceptions you had as a child?

You could just be whatever you want without school or study, your mother would break her back if you stepped on a crack, if I got a C on my report card I would fail school, and some others :/

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    That the cake was real

Regular boring stuff that every kid believed in, like Santa.
    Oh, and monsters from southeastern Asian myths.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    I thought hard drive space determined how fast your computer was.

(Good thing I'm a computer scientist now!)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2011
    What was on tv was only little man doing it, like a theater, but inside a box. Aand, if I took a long time (like years) thinking about something, this thing would appear eventually. Ironically the thing I mosted thought about was pokemon, once I almost saw a charizard (yeah, but it was only a pattern of a tree that formed one).

Back