• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Move Tutors [ #33 ]

What do you think of the Move Tutor within this generation?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Brought in from the fourth generation, the Move Tutors could teach your Pokémon moves such as Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, and other neat moves that couldn't be taught in this generation. Do you believe the move tutors from the 4th gen should have made a come back? With Black and White, move tutors seem limited now. Do you believe this makes it harder to build competitive teams?

Along with the poll options, discuss away!

- Credit to Twilight Sky for the Poll idea -
    If you have any Poll Ideas, please PM either myself or Forever with your suggestion/idea. We may not use your idea within the following week, but whenever we can get to it. :)

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • I loved the move tutors. Now, in Black/White, they barely have any good ones. The one in Platinum/HG/SS were the best. I wish they came back, because now I have to transfer move-tutored Pokemon (which I'm too lazy to do).

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • are there other move tutors besides the elemental pledges, elemental hyperbeams, and draco meteor?
    Nope, those tutor moves are the only ones in B/W.

Anyway, I was disappointed in the move tutor choices in B/W, except for Draco Meteor.

In addition to the Gen IV move tutors (minus lulzy ones like Mud-Slap and String Shot), I feel that those moves should be included in Gray's tutor list:
    -Drain Punch
    -Giga Drain
    -Focus Punch
    -Dark Pulse
    -Shock Wave
    -Iron Tail
    -Roost
    -Secret Power
    -Steel Wing
    -Skill Swap
    -Endure
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Silver Wind
    -Recycle
    -Avalanche
    -Stealth Rock
    -Sleep Talk

(basically, I want the old TMs that lost TM status to make a comeback as move tutor moves)

Brane

-
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    It's really hard when building a team and wanting to teach it moves it usually doesn't learn. And to do that you have to use a TM, but there's only one of those. So it makes it difficult to really get those custom movesets going.

I really think that's one of the problems in this game, besides limited Pokemon from other generations.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Can anyone say Rapid Spin move tutor ? We really don't have any good Spinners this gen apart from Excadrill, Starmie and Tentacruel. Starmie cant switch into the most common hazard layer this gen, aka Ferrothorn same with Tentacruel. The latter also struggles to do anything to Jellicent who commonly blocks spin.

Slack Off and Recover tutors would be nice too lol.

Sleep Talk needs to come back in addition. Removing that as a TM was retarded. :\

Anyways yeah i wish they would have made a comeback. Most 4th gen tutor moves being illegal with DW abilities is really annoying.

Cid

Years
  • I pretty much agree with the current majority. They used to give the trainers a lot of good moves to choose from, and I wish they continued that tradition in BW.

There is a good (sort of) thing that this brings, though. That is, you could trade for a specific quality of a Pokemon that you like for another. For example, if you wanted a move from a tutor in DP, then you can't take advantage of it's Gen V qualities like its possible Dream World ability. It gives the players a choice...although now that I'm thinking about it, it's not really a good thing to have to choose for some, due to the missed opportunity of using both in the strategy of a Pokemon.

big NATE alpha

Patriotic Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2011
    Yes. The most idiotic move this gen was removing some moves from TM status and then preventing Pokemon from learning them unless transferred with said moves from Gen IV; same goes for the Gen IV move tutors. I'm rather annoyed that I can't teach more Pokemon Drain Punch now that it's actually a viable move, because I ditched the Gen IV TM for it long ago. It was stupid to remove those moves and drop the move tutors in one blow.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    I would prefer to have more variety in the move tutor selection. It adds to the battling scene because there are more moves available. I was really disappointed with this "selection"

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • We need at least one more to teach those shard needed moves or something. There's too little of them and they're only for the starters or something.

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
  • I seriously miss all the move tutors we had last Gen. Now a few Pokemon that already had limited movesets have less moveset options than they did before! I hope they return in Grey.

smithtism

Blank
    Years
  • I didn't even KNOW there was a move tutor in B/W. What's the point of having only one, and having to give him SHARDS?!? I only found five of them total.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years

• Brought in from the fourth generation, the Move Tutors could teach your Pokémon moves such as Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, and other neat moves that couldn't be taught in this generation. Do you believe the move tutors from the 4th gen should have made a come back? With Black and White, move tutors seem limited now. Do you believe this makes it harder to build competitive teams?

Along with the poll options, discuss away!

- Credit to Twilight Sky for the Poll idea -
    If you have any Poll Ideas, please PM either myself or Forever with your suggestion/idea. We may not use your idea within the following week, but whenever we can get to it. :)

(basically, I want the old TMs that lost TM status to make a comeback as move tutor moves)

This. I mean, why in the world would I want to give up Steel Wing, Skill Swap, and Dragon Pulse for Low Sweep, Round, and Incinerate? And though Frost Breath may have its uses, several specially-oriented Dark-type Pokemon could be said to need Dark Pulse. The number of Pokemon that can learn Dark Pulse at all in Generation V (non-dependent on a TM) is pickles compared to Generation 4's learnset listing with the TM.

Anyways yeah i wish they would have made a comeback. Most 4th gen tutor moves being illegal with DW abilities is really annoying.

This.

I pretty much agree with the current majority. They used to give the trainers a lot of good moves to choose from, and I wish they continued that tradition in BW.

There is a good (sort of) thing that this brings, though. That is, you could trade for a specific quality of a Pokemon that you like for another. For example, if you wanted a move from a tutor in DP, then you can't take advantage of it's Gen V qualities like its possible Dream World ability. It gives the players a choice...although now that I'm thinking about it, it's not really a good thing to have to choose for some, due to the missed opportunity of using both in the strategy of a Pokemon.

Yeah, the choice has an impact on gameplay, I guess to fill the role of "crucial choice" since TMs are basically HMs now. But honestly, I would actually prefer one-use-only TMs (while adequately reobtainable in some form) if we could have an opportunity to bring back Generation 4's Move Tutors and degraded TMs.

I didn't even KNOW there was a move tutor in B/W. What's the point of having only one, and having to give him SHARDS?!? I only found five of them total.

I'd rather be required to search for Shards if it meant that Move Tutors could be present more in Unova - much better than having certain Moves absent completely.

But yeah, a lot is riding on Gray Version to improve what BW failed in, and the whole "Move Tutor" issue is a prominent one that is a bit annoying, especially concerning Generation 4 Move Tutor incompatibilities with Generation 5 Dream World-abilities. I mean, Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn, Hydro Cannon, and Draco Meteor/Meteoric Swarm should be standard and default for all future generations, particularly because they are exclusive to Move Tutors, since no Pokemon can learn them through the conventional means of leveling up, TM usage, or Egg Move. As for the elemental Oaths introduced in Generation 5, those aren't nearly enough to satisfy an adequate Move Tutor amount in BW, as the Oaths are limited to starters just like the aforementioned elemental Hyper Beams, and their use is essentially restricted to Double/Triple Battles only.

Requiring Move Tutors for Secret Sword and Ancient Song, the signature moves of Keldeo and Meloetta, respectively, is just absurd/stupid. EVERY other Pokemon with a purported Signature Move can learn said move through level-up. Requiring the player to go to a specific location for a Forme Change is one thing; a Move Tutor who can only teach one move to one Pokemon is tedious and pointless. If they have to be "hard to obtain", just make the 'level learnt at' be Level 100...for Keldeo, just require its musketeer mates to be in the party when it reaches Level 100 to learn Secret Sword.

Furthermore, I hope Move Tutors have moves that are a bit more...viable. I mean, in Emerald, there's not much you can do with the Softboiled move which is poorly distributed among Pokemon. Only four Pokemon lines learn it at all: Mew, Clefable, Togetic, and Blissey, of which Blissey already has the move in its level-up moveset. Might as well just include it in the level-up movesets of the other Pokemon. Now Mimic is another story - awesome distribution, and can have quite the potential in battles.

Move Tutors [ #33 ]
    And why can't Mew just learn the 'starter-exclusive' and 'Dragon-type exclusive' Move Tutor moves? It's just one exception, and a justified exception at that. I mean, Move Tutor moves are basically just TMs taught by people. And just to showcase its unique all-TM-learning ability, it even learns the TMs Attract and Captivate, moves that are utterly useless for it, being a non-gendered Pokemon!

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    The severe lack of Move Tutors in Black and White is going to make training and battling more difficult than usual. Not enough moves, anyone?

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • The huge lack of Move Tutors in Pokemon Black and White was super disappointing for me and many others. It was annoying that there were 7 move tutor moves and 6 of which being exclusive to starter Pokemon and the other to Dragon types. They probably just did this so the have yet another thing to add to the 3rd game though. It would have been nice to have more of a selection though so my Pokemon could have better move set options then they do now. Who knows? If they had included them, some Pokemon could be much better then they are now.

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
    Years
  • I don't like tutors in BW, they definitely should know how to learn more moves. I hope there will be more tutors in the third V Gen game

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I'm like one of the only people who don't care, lol.

I prefer TMs you find, and attacks you get through levelling up. This is probably cause I never was too into the move tutor idea and just preferred purchasing, or finding TMs rather than being tutored for them, although logically being tutored attacks makes sense, oh well. I don't mind if they're included in the third game or not, because they sure haven't impacted my B/W playthrough.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • Although i've never been huge on Move Tutors, I do now miss them very much, especially since I just started breeding for Ice/Fire/Thunder Punch Scraggy.

They NEED to bring back both the Gen III move tutors and the Gen IV move tutors. The ones in BW are useless except for...74 different species of pokemon, 45 of which are all in the starter pokemon evolution chains. All of which can only be taught to one type of pokemon each; the pledges and 'elemental hyper beams' to their respective starter type, and Draco Meteor to Dragon types. 74 pokemon and 4 types. Pretty dang limited.

Wait, can't you transfer DW abilities through breeding? And can't a lot of older tutored moves be learned through breeding? Well, there's an idea :3

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • The Move Tutors this generation teach moves that I personally find useless. I'm never gonna have more than one starter for the pledges, the elemental Hyper Beams are always fail, and the dragons I use are physical based, making Draco Meteor pointless.

Yeah, I miss the old Move Tutors, especially the elemental punches...

Back