• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions (FAQ in first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

srinator

I find giratina o better suited for a more defensive role

srinator

Yeah that's what you would say by looking at it on paper, levitate has much more use in the ubers meta imo

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Yeah I agree with sri that Giratina-O is the better choice since being straight up immune to one of the STABs of the most common and arguably best Pokemon in Ubers right now (and Ground attacks in general are common) is way better than slightly increased bulk and Lefties recovery. It has better offensive presence too.

But Platinum is right though that Adamant is the better nature.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I understand. Also, what is the better form for Giratina origin or altered?

Origin forme. Altered forme is rather passive, loses to the vast majority of Ubers and is forced to rely on RestTalk to be effective. Origin Giratina can afford to go more offensive to force switches so it can use Defog freely or hit a predicted switch hard with Griseous Orb-boosted attacks. It's also less vulnerable to Knock Off and Trick, as the Griseous Orb is an unremovable item when attached to Giratina.

Reactions: Sun
    Years
    • Age 31
    • He/Him
    • Ohio
    • Seen Dec 12, 2020
    Some team ideas for Charizard X and Y?

I already have a few teams built around both of them, but I wanted to see what kind of ideas you guys have for them.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I don't need help, I just wanna know what kinds of teams other people run with them.

For one, Charizard Y teams tend to be very specialized. Its teammates generally revolve around taking out Charizard's counters before it comes in:
    -Pursuit user to take out bulky Psychics/Ghosts, especially the Latis. (ex: Bisharp, Tyranitar)
    -Fighting Pokemon that resists Steel to have an easier time with Bisharp (ex: Infernape, Keldeo)
    -Rapid Spin/Defog support (ex: Lati@s, Excadrill)
    -Birdspam check; tends to be Electric Pokemon (ex: Wash Rotom, Thundurus)
    -Bulky Stealth Rock setter (ex: Tyranitar, Garchomp, Hippowdon)

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2018
    Is this good for diancie? (Opinions fast please)

I just got my diancie and think I got a decent one on my second reset
    Nature - naive
    According to online iv calculator 3 ivs are 30-31 (hp - special atk - special defense)
    Other iv are atk 10-11, defense 14-15, speed 22-23

Good enough? Or should I keep trying?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I just got my diancie and think I got a decent one on my second reset
    Nature - naive
    According to online iv calculator 3 ivs are 30-31 (hp - special atk - special defense)
    Other iv are atk 10-11, defense 14-15, speed 22-23

Good enough? Or should I keep trying?

Keep trying. Good Attack and Speed IVs are important too. A 31 Speed IV is highly preferred so Mega Diancie outspeeds as much as possible.

Reactions: Sun

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    sri has this stall Mega Charizard X team....dunno the details of it but I think it's pretty cool

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    this question is awfully broad. i am not up-to-date with the metagame right now, but both zards have always had pretty diverse builds, especially x. zard teams tend to be really anal about hazard control, but they can do a lot.

x can work on literally any archetype except rain. nah mentioned zard x stall, which is more of an xy thing but remains functional nonetheless, and given its utility offensively (and even defensively), it can fit on different variations of offense. it's become pretty chic to pair it with serperior on more aggressive builds since zard is a magnet for the stuff that serperior can use as the starting point for its contrary leaf storm avalanche.

as for y, it's a little less stylistically diverse, but i would take platdude's list with a grain of salt. (birdspam is dead and has been dead for many months, every team needs a rocker and a bisharp check anyway, etc.) it is paired with pursuit a lot though, but zard y teams are going to be putting a lot of pressure on altaria in particular, and it's nice to have some good pivots b/c it's slow enough to be easily revenge killed or otherwise pressured by offensive pokemon.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    this question is awfully broad. i am not up-to-date with the metagame right now, but both zards have always had pretty diverse builds, especially x. zard teams tend to be really anal about hazard control, but they can do a lot.

x can work on literally any archetype except rain. nah mentioned zard x stall, which is more of an xy thing but remains functional nonetheless, and given its utility offensively (and even defensively), it can fit on different variations of offense. it's become pretty chic to pair it with serperior on more aggressive builds since zard is a magnet for the stuff that serperior can use as the starting point for its contrary leaf storm avalanche.

as for y, it's a little less stylistically diverse, but i would take platdude's list with a grain of salt. (birdspam is dead and has been dead for many months, every team needs a rocker and a bisharp check anyway, etc.) it is paired with pursuit a lot though, but zard y teams are going to be putting a lot of pressure on altaria in particular, and it's nice to have some good pivots b/c it's slow enough to be easily revenge killed or otherwise pressured by offensive pokemon.
    Well, I was a bit used to the X/Y meta when I came up with that Charizard Y team suggestions, but w/e.

Anyway, as Anti mentioned, Mega Altaria is a big roadblock to both Charizards, as it resists most of its commonly used moves. Excadrill is a nice teammate (as I already suggested) for dealing with it, and also provides Rapid Spin support. Choice Band/Swords Dance Scizor also handles Mega Altaria that lack Flamethrower/Fire Blast; the former set in particular is a good offensive pivot to get Charizard in safely with a slow U-turn.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Which role it performs better is very subjective. It does both very well and ultimately depends on your team.

I will say that most players use it to set up Stealth Rock, but it is still very viable offensively.

Last edited:

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
    Garchomp's role evolved a lot from when I started playing (BW2) till when I stopped in early ORAS. It was almost always used as an SD Sweeper when I'd come up against it, and now it seems like it's used way more in a Defensive Stealth Rock set which I find pretty strange, I've never tried it though. I prefer an offensive Chomp though, and it's Mega can be amazing wallbreaker, if it didn't get a Speed nerf it'd most likely be Ubers, it'd be a monster lol.

2Fruit

Aka 2Fruit
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2019
    Personally I run my Chomp as a dual role pokemon. Swords dance, stealth rock, Earthquake, and dragon claw.

Whenever I see a garchomp in a team I always send out a pokemon that will outspeed and OHKO it, because it's popular as a lead right now. They seem to have this combination going with rough skin and rocky helmet. Really great when going against life orb brave bird.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    Okay, someone needs to explain this one to me:

This battle I was in had a Sylveon that completely devastated my team. The odd thing is that this Sylveon does nothing but spam Hyper Voice and does more than 50% damage to any Pokemon it wants. I have a Lapras with 31 IV and 252 EV to both HP and Special defense, this thing did 55% of it's total HP to it. Even against a Mega Freaking Audino with 31 IV, 252 EV to HP and 200 EV to Special Defense, it still did more damage than 50% of it's total HP, Then I sent a Gengar, still did 89% of it's max HP despite being resistant to Fairy moves.

So tell me, what happened? And before anyone tells me that it's a Choice Spec'd Sylveon, I promise that I will make a Sylveon with 31 IV 252 EV Special attack with Modest Nature right now with a choice spec, and it will NOT do nearly that much damage to my same exact Pokemon; just to prove them wrong.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back