• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions (FAQ in first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    If you want a bulky dragon then you would better off using Multiscale Dragonite or a defensive Garchomp variant. As I've pointed out, the Tyrantrum set you have in mind is nothing but inefficient and you are not playing the Pokemon to its strengths. Tyrantrum can only pull off a Dragon Dance set, a Choice Banded set, or a Choice Scarved set. Adding onto that, please do not leave a Dragon type in on a Specs Sylveon's Hyper Voice because that will most certainly not end well for you.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    If you want a bulky dragon you you would better off using Multiscale Dragonite or a defensive Garchomp variant. As I've pointed out, the Tyrantrum set you have in mind is nothing but inefficient and you are not playing to its strengths. Tyrantrum can only pull off a Dragon Dance set, a Choice Banded set, or a Choice Scarved set. Adding onto that, please do not leave a Dragon type in on a Specs Sylveon's Hyper Voice because that will most certainly not end well for you.

I agree with you 100% on this. But the reason I do not go down that route is that these two monsters you listed are way too common, and my opponent will already know how to dispose of these monsters quite easily. With my experience, I laugh at Garchomps and Dragonite as my Serperior eats them for lunch. The purpose of Tyrantrum is to surprise my opponent with a build they cannot handle and lose out of panic. I have already won many battles with my Crobat, Gengar, Talonflame, Empoleon, and Audino because my opponent does not know how to handle these creatures.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I agree with you 100% on this. But the reason I do not go down that route is that these two monsters you listed are way too common, and my opponent will already know how to dispose of these monsters quite easily. With my experience, I laugh at Garchomps and Dragonite as my Serperior eats them for lunch. The purpose of Tyrantrum is to surprise my opponent with a build they cannot handle and lose out of panic. I have already won many battles with my Crobat, Gengar, Talonflame, Empoleon, and Audino because my opponent does not know how to handle these creatures.

While it's true that these particular Pokemon are well-prepared for, this doesn't mean that they aren't effective at what they do. They're effective for one reason or another. Dragonite has Multiscale to give it more freedom to set up Dragon Dance and/or attack. Bulky Garchomp is viable because it handily checks/counters physical attackers that rely on contact moves to function (i.e. Pokemon that spam U-turn). No good player would leave a Pokemon in on something that checks/counters them; that's what switching is for.

If your team can handle these Pokemon fine, good. If you do well with out of the box sets, fine. But just keep in mind there are better options out there.

Last edited:

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
  • Is having a 31 Iv in the Sp Atk area very important for a bulky Follow Me Clefable. Ive bred a lot of Cleffas and I cant get the Ivs to go 31/x/31/31/31/31. All though I did get a trick room ready Cleffa.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Is having a 31 Iv in the Sp Atk area very important for a bulky Follow Me Clefable. Ive bred a lot of Cleffas and I cant get the Ivs to go 31/x/31/31/31/31. All though I did get a trick room ready Cleffa.

I would say yes considering that Follow Me Clefable apparently uses some degree of special attack investment. I would aim for nothing less than a 29 in the stat.

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2015
    Beat Up

Hello all, I've been trying to hatch a good Beat Up team, but I've been having trouble who to put on it. I wanted to know what abilities affect the power of each particular Pokemon's damage output. For example, does Technician help at all? Breloom has a base attack stat of 130, making its Beat Up power 18. My question is if Technician would boost it for being under 61 base power? And what of Hustle? Adaptability (Crawdawnt)? Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2015
    I see... So what if I initiate the attack with Technician Ambipom? Will all of the hits be boosted by 50%?

RetroBacon

~ <3
    Years
  • I believe so, yes. If I remember correctly, the power will not be boosted, however, unless the sum of all the hits is less than 60.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2015
    Regardless, thank you guys. Now I know that I want high base attack pokemon like Rampardos, Slaking and Regigigas

dsos899

Daqaroni
    Years
  • So right now I am making a competitive Beartic. I am going to give him a Brave nature so it can boost his attack and decrease that already low speed. Anyways, does anyone have any ideas for his moveset/item he can hold?

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    So right now I am making a competitive Beartic. I am going to give him a Brave nature so it can boost his attack and decrease that already low speed. Anyways, does anyone have any ideas for his moveset/item he can hold?

IDK man Beartic actually has a decent speed tier in rain. You might want to go Adamant > Brave with the following set:

Beartic @ Life Orb
    Ability: Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Icicle Crash
    - Superpower
    - Aqua Jet
    - Swords Dance

dsos899

Daqaroni
    Years
  • IDK man Beartic actually has a decent speed tier in rain. You might want to go Adamant > Brave with the following set:

Beartic @ Life Orb
    Ability: Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Icicle Crash
    - Superpower
    - Aqua Jet
    - Swords Dance

You've got a point dude, I don't know why I didn't think of choosing Swift Swim over Snow Cloak and
    thanks a bunch for helping me out!

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    Here goes an ODD question, Can a Pokemon under ANY circumstance under ANY means start the battle using Struggle because it either has no moves or any moves it would have be disabled for some reason as soon as it pops out of it's Pokeball?

I ask because I was playing rated battle, and a Ditto popped out of it's Pokeball with no moves, not even the only move it knows: Transform. It just spammed Struggle for some reason I cannot explain.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Here goes an ODD question, Can a Pokemon under ANY circumstance under ANY means start the battle using Struggle because it either has no moves or any moves it would have be disabled for some reason as soon as it pops out of it's Pokeball?

I ask because I was playing rated battle, and a Ditto popped out of it's Pokeball with no moves, not even the only move it knows: Transform. It just spammed Struggle for some reason I cannot explain.

A Pokemon can only use Struggle if:
    -all PP of its moves are depleted.
    -if it's Taunted and all it knows are status moves (however, Taunt wears off if the target switches out)
    -if it's Choice-locked into a move and hit by Torment (in which case it will Struggle every other turn; again, it wears off upon switching out)
    -the disabled move is the only move it knows (again, wears off upon leaving battle)
    -if the Pokemon is holding Assault Vest and all it knows are status moves

Also consider what R.F. said about Assault Vest. And take note that Transform and Imposter will fail against Substitute and (active) Illusion users.

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Here goes an ODD question, Can a Pokemon under ANY circumstance under ANY means start the battle using Struggle because it either has no moves or any moves it would have be disabled for some reason as soon as it pops out of it's Pokeball?

Assault Vest Limber Ditto? {XD}

Transform is a status move and Assault Vest prevents its wearer from using any status moves.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    Assault Vest Limber Ditto? {XD}

Transform is a status move and Assault Vest prevents its wearer from using any status moves.

That's funny Now a new question,

WHY?

Why would anyone think it's a good idea to do this in rated battles?

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Question about Excadrill

Is it a bad idea to have both Rapid Spin AND Stealth Rock on Excadrill? Here is my current set-up:

Excadrill - Air Balloon
    Jolly Nature
    Mold Breaker
    252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    - Earthquake
    - Iron Head
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rapid Spin

Before I threw Rocks on him, I had Rock Slide of course, but I really want Stealth Rock on my team and the only other pokemon I have that carries it is Skarmory, which I was planning on using in a separate team. Thoughts?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back