• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    What's a good offesnvie Mega Blaziken set for me to breed in preparation for OR/AS? And if possible, please specify any egg moves as being such.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    What's a good offesnvie Mega Blaziken set for me to breed in preparation for OR/AS? And if possible, please specify any egg moves as being such.

Something like this:

-Mega Blaziken w/Blazikenite
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Speed boost
    EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Sp.Defense
    Moves:
    -Flare Blitz
    -High Jump Kick
    -Protect
    -Knock Off/Swords Dance

Knock Off is a move tutor move, but thankfully those are coming back in ORAS. If Flare Blitz's recoil damage is unappealing, you could roll with Fire Punch or Blaze Kick instead (the former being a move tutors move, the latter a level-up one).

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Something like this:

-Mega Blaziken w/Blazikenite
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Speed boost
    EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Sp.Defense
    Moves:
    -Flare Blitz
    -High Jump Kick
    -Protect
    -Knock Off/Swords Dance

Knock Off is a move tutor move, but thankfully those are coming back in ORAS. If Flare Blitz's recoil damage is unappealing, you could roll with Fire Punch or Blaze Kick instead (the former being a move tutors move, the latter a level-up one).
    So the general idea is to Protect at the start and maybe even every second turn for the Speed Boost? I can imagine this working to great effect. Thanks for the set!

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I have this set too and it works really well most of the time. Just watch out for Aqua Jet Azumarills. They are everywhere
    Okay, I'll be on the watch for them. Which moveset specifically do you have (i.e Knock Off or Swords Dance, Flare Blitz or Fire Punch or Blaze Kick.)?

Years
  • Which moveset specifically do you have (i.e Knock Off or Swords Dance, Flare Blitz or Fire Punch or Blaze Kick.)?

Oh sorry i should have elaborated more i guess. I am running SD and Flare Blitz on mine. Flare Blitz is definitely superior to the others as far as power goes. But yeah the recoil makes it hard for some people to rationalise using it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2017
    6 IV Modest Bulbasaur Gigadrain vs leechseed

Everywhere I see leechseed as being this super ability of Venasaur. It drains 1/16th of their health and adds it to Venusaur at the end of every move, yea I mean it sounds great and all, but I breeded Gigadrain into my Venusaur, since it benefits from STAB, and has so much potential to do so much more damage as a 75 power grass move and the same affect with its ability to heal Venusaur.

So I got a level 1, modest bulbasaur, I bred Gigadrain into him because to me that was the best grass move you could breed into him factoring in that half the damage also went to restoring Venusaurs health. I was thinking of filling out the other 3 moves with poison ones, Toxic and sludebomb for sure, still not sure on the 4th move, originally I was going to go with Earthquake but seeing as how his nature is modest, no sense in giving him a physical attack. Think I should go with what's popular and go with Leechseed? Or is there a better moveset that I'm not considering?

Cliffsnotes:

Is this a good moveset for Venusaur?
    6 31IV's, Modest, Overgrowth
    1st: Gigadrain
    2nd: Toxic
    3rd: Sludgebomb
    4th: ???

Item: Black Sludge?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Everywhere I see leechseed as being this super ability of Venasaur. It drains 1/16th of their health and adds it to Venusaur at the end of every move, yea I mean it sounds great and all, but I breeded Gigadrain into my Venusaur, since it benefits from STAB, and has so much potential to do so much more damage as a 75 power grass move and the same affect with its ability to heal Venusaur.

So I got a level 1, modest bulbasaur, I bred Gigadrain into him because to me that was the best grass move you could breed into him factoring in that half the damage also went to restoring Venusaurs health. I was thinking of filling out the other 3 moves with poison ones, Toxic and sludebomb for sure, still not sure on the 4th move, originally I was going to go with Earthquake but seeing as how his nature is modest, no sense in giving him a physical attack. Think I should go with what's popular and go with Leechseed? Or is there a better moveset that I'm not considering?

Cliffsnotes:

Is this a good moveset for Venusaur?
    6 31IV's, Modest, Overgrowth
    1st: Gigadrain
    2nd: Toxic
    3rd: Sludgebomb
    4th: ???

Item: Black Sludge?
    Mega Venusaur is the sole reason you're even using Venusaur in the first place. When it has a (semi-)reliable recovery move in Synthesis, Mega Venusaur's superior overall bulk outweighs the passive recovery from Black Sludge vanilla Venusaur has. Also, Mega Venusaur's Thick Fat cancels out two of its weaknesses, Ice and Fire. Anyway, here's a better Mega Venusaur set. While it normally needs Hidden Power Fire to be successful, all perfect IVs yield the user Hidden Power Dark, as HP Fire needs (in order of HP/Attack/Defense/Special Attack/Special Defense/Speed) 31/30/31/30/31/30 (or if none of of those are perfect: odd/even/odd/even/odd/even):
    -Giga Drain
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Sleep Powder/Leech Seed/Knock Off
    -Synthesis
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 240 HP/252 SAtk/16 Spe
    Item: Venusaurite

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Sturdy or Shell Armor Crustle?

I am genuinely having a hard time figuring out which one I should have for Crustle, as both are good, but both are also situationally useful as well.

Anyway, the Crustle I will have (breeding as we speak) is

Impish
    X-Scissor
    Stealth Rock
    Rock SLide/Rock Wrecker (haven't decided yet)
    EarthQuake (to cover two of it's 3 weakness types)

But I'm just looking for some opinions on which ability to go with. I was initially trying for Sturdy because while not a lot will necessarily knock it out in one hit physically, a strong special water user probably could so I was looking for the protection for that, but just how often critical hits seem to happen I was then leaning toward Shell Armor so I really don't know which I should go for

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • Um, I'd really go for Sturdy mate. Especially since A) You're using it for stealth rocks, and Rock Wrecker which you'll want to be able to take the one hit before dying should you choose to use it, and B) Crustle already has high defense and low Sp Def; protecting it from crits alone is still possibly letting it get OHKO'd by strong special attacks, or super charged physical ones. Sturdy will protect it from crits even better arguably; because the would be ohko from a crit would leave it alive to use another move with Sturdy. Oh, and also C) - Crustle lacks recovery really :U So Shell armor's really only going to matter what once or twice if even? Sturdy only matters once as well; sure - but it's a much more significant annnnd guaranteed benefit / usage of ability.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Um, I'd really go for Sturdy mate. Especially since A) You're using it for stealth rocks, and Rock Wrecker which you'll want to be able to take the one hit before dying should you choose to use it, and B) Crustle already has high defense and low Sp Def; protecting it from crits alone is still possibly letting it get OHKO'd by strong special attacks, or super charged physical ones. Sturdy will protect it from crits even better arguably; because the would be ohko from a crit would leave it alive to use another move with Sturdy. Oh, and also C) - Crustle lacks recovery really :U So Shell armor's really only going to matter what once or twice if even? Sturdy only matters once as well; sure - but it's a much more significant annnnd guaranteed benefit / usage of ability.

That makes a lot of sense, especially the part about the critical hit special move, thanks! Sturdy it is!

dethklok8

Shiny_Charizard
    Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    Gliscor Build

So I was looking around the Internet for some good Gliscor builds and found some, but not one I was looking for in particular.

Gliscor@Toxic Orb
    Poison Heal
    Protect
    Roost
    Toxic
    Earthquake

252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Impish

Is this a viable build? I don't know if the EV's will work, but the moveset seems fine. I've seen other people use this, and was wondering if it's good and people just don't use it, or if there are better options for a Gliscor.
    Thanks

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Gliscor is one of the most used Pokemon for a reason: it walls physical threats like Excadrill and Mega Heracross. Your set isn't the only set Gliscor can run, as Gliscor can:

-Earthquake
    -Acrobatics
    -Taunt/Toxic/Fling/Stealth Rock
    -Roost
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/56 Def/200 Spe (outspeeds Adamant Excadrill)
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal

or
    -Earthquake/Knock Off
    -Toxic/Knock Off/Stealth Rock
    -Taunt/Stealth Rock
    -Roost
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 252 HP/184 SDef/72 Spe (outspeeds Mega Heracross)

or
    -Earthquake
    -Substitute/Knock Off
    -Toxic
    -Protect
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/20 Def/236 Spe (outspeeds Jolly Mamoswine)

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • TN
    • Seen Feb 9, 2018
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but what kind of EV spread would yall recommend for a Modest Togekiss with Nasty Plot? Nasty Plot obviously will make him stronger SpAtk-wise, but I'm not sure where to put his EVs so he will stay alive longer. Will probably be using Air Slash and Dazzling Gleam as well.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Sorry if this has been asked before, but what kind of EV spread would yall recommend for a Modest Togekiss with Nasty Plot? Nasty Plot obviously will make him stronger SpAtk-wise, but I'm not sure where to put his EVs so he will stay alive longer. Will probably be using Air Slash and Dazzling Gleam as well.

Max Special Attack/max Speed is the typical spread for Nasty Plot Togekiss. Aura Sphere is also the preferred coverage option over Dazzling Gleam to hit Steels, though the former can still be used if you want to actually hit Dragons.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Should I keep my Cubone with Rock Head? Normally I would always keep this ability, but it can only learn ONE move that Rock Head benefits, and it's a normal type move so I was very much looking at Battle Armor to prevent critical hits, but then also if I decide to get rid of Double Edge for a typed move once the move tutors in ORAS come out, I can still do that. I'm very unsure what to do in this situation, I already bred my cub one with Rock Head and the correct IV spread and egg moves, but I wonder if I should keep breeding for one with Battle Armor too? Thanks for opinions

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Should I keep my Cubone with Rock Head? Normally I would always keep this ability, but it can only learn ONE move that Rock Head benefits, and it's a normal type move so I was very much looking at Battle Armor to prevent critical hits, but then also if I decide to get rid of Double Edge for a typed move once the move tutors in ORAS come out, I can still do that. I'm very unsure what to do in this situation, I already bred my cub one with Rock Head and the correct IV spread and egg moves, but I wonder if I should keep breeding for one with Battle Armor too? Thanks for opinions

Rock Head is preferred if you use Double-Edge. In OR/AS, there are no Double-Edge variants, sadly.

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2015
    No guard + quick guard?

I've bred a couple of machops with quick guard and some other egg moves, and I noticed that even when serebii's description says it fails when used in succession:
    The user protects itself and its allies from priority moves. If used in succession, its chance of failing rises.Machop with no guard is able to spam quick guard without it failing. Or at least, I was able to use quick guard 12 times in a row against a wild pokemon.
    Does no guard affect the chances of quick guard missing, or is there some other reason I didn't see that's causing it not to fail?

By the way, I tried to use protect several times in a row, which could have been a lot more interesting, and sadly it didn't work :/.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I've bred a couple of machops with quick guard and some other egg moves, and I noticed that even when serebii's description says it fails when used in succession: The user protects itself and its allies from priority moves. If used in succession, its chance of failing rises.Machop with no guard is able to spam quick guard without it failing. Or at least, I was able to use quick guard 12 times in a row against a wild pokemon. Does no guard affect the chances of quick guard missing, or is there some other reason I didn't see that's causing it not to fail? By the way, I tried to use protect several times in a row, which could have been a lot more interesting, and sadly it didn't work :/.
    Gen VI changed the Quick Guard mechanic slightly--you can now use it in succession without any chance of failure. However, using it still decreases the chance of success of other moves with a Protect-like mechanic.

Note: I've moved your post into the help & questions thread because it's just a question and doesn't actually promote any discussion. Cheers! Oh, and sorry about the notifications, haha

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back