• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Must Be My Connection

What do you think would happen if the internet just suddenly turned off, forever?

• Total voters

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
  • So I was wondering, what do you think would happen if the internet was just turned off, forever and without a warning? Now don't get too hung up on technicalities, I understand that the internet does not have an off-switch and it would be much more complicated to just shut it all down.

But hypothetically speaking, what do you think would happen? How would you react? How would the world react, more importantly?

Sirfetch’d

I would be devastated. The internet is my life because of how much I use it each day and the countless friends who I only have contact with over the internet. I would really be lost and depressed if this happens so lets hope that it never does.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    Same as michonne, my life would be ruined. Nothing since I read most manga off the internet and they are scans and how would I get knew scans for my favorite shonen manga?

Orifiel

Priestess
    Years
  • Depends upon the situation.
    If the internet would suddenly be gone and I had no other things to do. I would be bored and too quiet once again, I won't explode or anything like that. But if I get bored, I just intend to sleep rather than doing nothing. If I have things to do, fine by me then.

Years
  • I would be annoyed and upset and 'Why! D';' but really, all I do is just check my facebook and then watch online anime and download music.

So I wouldn't really be like 'I don't want to live on this planet anymore' and to be honest, would probably get outside even more and all that. So it would probably be a good thing for me. But still.. I need my animezzz. ╭(๑¯д¯๑)╮

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
    Years
  • like the vote says up their "ALL HELL would break loose for me". The internet is my "second life". I would be all alone without the internet as well ಥ_ಥ. plus....then their would be no more anime,no more kingdom heart music ect,no more free indie games to download. so basically losing the internet is like "dying" to me ٩(●̮̮̃•)۶

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2022
    At first, I would have no idea that it would be permanent, so I guess that I'd just go make a sandwich or read a book. After a while, I would get a bit worried. Then, after I saw the news report on TV, I would have a mini-freak out.
    The world, on the other hand, would probably be greatly affected. The internet has become a major part of everyday life, like someone planted a mechanical seed in a forest and the forest eventually forgot how to survive on its own and grew around the seed. From video chats to emails, there are many ways of communication that have made life much easier. How would you feel if you had spent your whole life chewing food, then had to suddenly have to go to the forest, cut down some trees, and carve your own temporary teeth that would break after you took a chew? I guess that the world would eventually become used to having no internet, though. Book and toy sales would skyrocket. Electronics still work, don't they?

Crux

Evermore
    Years
  • Eh, I'd be particularly annoyed. Honestly though, I have a love/hate relationship with the internet, so I'd live.

The world? Hysteria.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • I lay on my bed staring at the roof, I would just watch DVDs if the internet was switched off. As for the world eh Do not think they would surve with the internet

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    1) What do you think would happen?
    Well, I guess cellphones/iPods will have to be an even bigger deal than it is now!

iTunes or Spotify wouldn't be available anymore, so time to purchase an iPod including purchasing actual albums of your favorite artists(Really, does anyone buy any albums these days?).

Games? Well, I guess we're back to single player games for the consoles/PC. Time to invest in some real life friends if you want to play multiplayer, cooperatively or competitively.

2) How would you react?
    I would hate it at first, because of where I'm from, there's literally nothing to do with anyone & I'm not a big fan of bars(Tired of people suggesting me that). >:( Most of my friends are very busy with work nor have moved out of town/state while gas is expensive to do too much traveling here & there.

I love interacting with others outside of my hometown, state & hell, even outside of the US! I pretty much know/see a lot of the same people where I'm from. So it would be a huge deal to lose that opportunity to keep in touch with others.

Online gaming has become a huge thing for the gaming world. So it'll be tough to lose the "online" aspect. I personally love it, but I do enjoy tons of Single Player games so it wouldn't bother me. The multiplayer games wouldn't be the same for me without internet/online however. Unless your Diablo III for the Xbox 360, I enjoy playing it locally even.

Music. Oh my music. I have a lot of music downloaded anyways so as long as I keep them saved on my USB Drive, I'm good. Just has to keep up to date on buying future albums of my favorite artists. (Which I already have started doing basically, Ariana Grande<3).

Oh & as for TV shows, I guess I simply can just go back to actually watching them on TV on a scheduled time(I usually do but with all the shows I like to keep up with, too many shows to watch at once & it's just easier to go back & stream them online, since I no longer have Time Warner Cable) If I miss it, I'll be disappointed but will have to wait. What else could I do without internet right? Since it takes a year for DVD/Bluray to be released after the season's end anyway. Same goes for movies.

3) How would the world react, more importantly?
    Ehh, I would honestly think depression, suicide & crimes would be involved majorly if this is the case. The current generation has been pretty reliable on technology, because of how heavy technology is among us now. & Technology generally has online/internet features! Its a huge part of our lives. I live 30 minutes away from an Amish county. When I see an Amish person or a group of them, I often think to myself & even ask my family or friends, "How different do you think life would be if we were in their shoes?" Of course, I get no answers better than "I don't know." x)

But if the people survived 50 years ago without that much internet, then why can't we? It just depends on how each individual handles it, really.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    Like Revolution, but on a lower scale since it's just the internet.

Also, Xana would annihilate us all.

I'd suicide. The internet is everything to me - if I can't use it, and since my RL identity means nothing to me, I'd kill myself.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
  • I'd go back to playing video games, watching TV, using my phone. Sure, it'd make me upset but I don't think I'd be depressed even if I'd totally miss my online friends.
    I'd suicide. The internet is everything to me - if I can't use it, and since my RL identity means nothing to me, I'd kill myself.
    Please tell me you're kidding.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • It would be a huge blow for me. Not only do I have a number of online friends that I would miss terribly, I rely on the internet for my job since I do a lot of my work from home and need to send/receive stuff and keep in contact with work. A lot of my hobbies (PC, 4P, gaming, etc.) require me to have internet access too, so I'd pretty much have to change my whole life around.

Years
  • That South Park episode... (if you know what I'm talking about)

Always a reminder.

Pretty much this. (South Park is my favorite show, so I can relate to that.) If the internet was down, news wouldn't come easily, and we wouldn't have as many people to talk to! Yeah, I don't think people would take it lightly.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Why, WHY. WHY SUCH TORTURE? JAMES? WHAT DID I EVER DO TO YOU?

No internet for me = no life basically. I rely on the internet so much, so without it the world is just pointless and we'd have to go back to the stone age where people used pigeons to send messages or whatever.

Back