• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My computer has 8 GB of RAM! Can you beat that??

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
Years
  • My laptop has 8 GB. I want to have at least 16 GB when I buy a desktop, I like to mess around with After Effects and Cinema 4D so the extra ram wouldn't hurt at all.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I think it's cool you can spot all the Maccies a mile away with the 6 GB of RAM. Really neat.

That's a thing? Huh. My craptop has 6 gigs and my mom's has 3, both are Win 7.

Pretty weird design choice in mine, though. A 4GB stick @ 1333, and a 2GB @ 1600.

Years
  • 8GB for me. More than enough, especially since I don't do much on my laptop outside the usual browsing, watching videos, and so on. Playing Steam games is such a rarity nowadays.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
  • My iMac has 16 GB RAM, it's good for Virtualisation, the iMac Boots a lot slower, than it was on 4 GB RAM, but I never turn it off.

Years
  • 8 gigs of RAM here. I guess if I actually felt like it, I wouldn't mind buying more, but what I have seems to work fine enough for me. And by "fine enough" I mean at least I don't have the desire to punch things because of stuff running so badly.

My old laptop has a whole 2 gigs of RAM...and that's after the upgrade I could get for it. Playing games back when it still had only 1 gig, oh yeah that was fun argh.

Matthew

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2015
    I have two laptops. A Dell XPS 15 with 16 GB of RAM which I mostly use for browsing, programming and Minecraft and an Alienware 17 (for gaming) with 16 GB as well (expandable to 32 GB which I want to do).

I have a PC back home with 8 GB of RAM.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I have 6 GB of RAM and I couldn't be happier. I have plenty of space for many files.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • My laptop has 8gigs. It does pretty good, though 16gigs wouldn't hurt. Especially since I like to run Photoshop, and may be getting into more video editing later on. Sometimes I run Minecraft and PS at the same time, so great my laptop can handle that, lol.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
  • 32GB per computer for five computers. And I cluster them, so I practically get unlimited RAM. :)

Years
  • I have 8gb at my disposal on my Laptop which is not to bad for how much the laptop cost. It plays minecraft well, I plan to play a few older PC games at some point so it should handle those well. As for expanding ram I don't know whether I have that choice but may look into it someday.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • I'm perfectly pleased with 8 gb of ram. I wouldn't go down as low as 4, but 6 is passable.
    I've seen computers as high as 64gb though, good stuff

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • I have 4 gigs of RAM on my 2009 Toshiba laptop, which is plenty in every situation except for when I use Photoshop, Illustrator and any browser that is not IE simultaneously.

As for my desktop, I have 8 gigs, and I have never actually run out of RAM unless there has been a memory leak somewhere (I'm looking at you, Firefox) 8GB seems to be plenty for tons of tabs spread over 3 browsers, multiple large files in Photoshop and Illustrator. As well as any game I've tried. (although not gaming and browsers and Adobe stuff simultaneously of course) I don't really see the need to upgrade my RAM, although my MoBo apparently supports up to 64 GB

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    4GB. Forgot whether my mainboard is limited to 16 or 32 but either way I can extend my current RAM much further. I haven't had any particular problems with 4 so I've not been reminded enough to upgrade it, such that I actually would do so.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • 2 GB rams on my old laptop, even though sometimes it's a bit small. My new laptop is much better with 4 GB ram in it, though.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • My current laptop has 1 gb ram. I think I win. I can't save anything, I can't run anything, basically all I can do is look at facebook and run windows 98 because it's not good enough to run anything else. But at least it's a touchscreen.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • It's kind of interesting that the normal these days is 8GB. It's what I have at home, it's what I have in my workstation at work.

I can beat 8GB though, at work I manage 3 Virtual Machine hosts that have 72GB of RAM each.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    The laptop I'm using right now has 3gb of ram, not much to say really. My high performance laptop has double the ram... but I only use it for certain things until this one breaks.

Back